The GREAT

SiamSam

Your hero and I are neighbors Sam...He lives - part-time at least - on the east side of Phoenix and I live on the west side so I like to think of us both as Phoenix bookends.............And in other respects we are both at the end...that's for certain...

I think however, he is hospitalized in Louisville and not in Scottsdale.......He owns a home in Kentucky as well as Arizona......

In 1966 I answered Yes...A year later he answered No.......

Back then we didn't much appreciate the former Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.............It was as if he was giving all of us the middle finger....We were carrying the flag that allowed him to answer No and allowed him to raise his middle finger.............We were angry young men then risking our lives for his rights....

Many years later some of us realized exactly what he had risked and what he had given up when he answered No............The possibility of prison...Four years of his prime boxing life - or all of his remaining boxing life -  gone...All for his belief..............

Risking one's life may be thought courageous...But risking one's belief - risking something you have to live with -  takes real courage...................

He went on as we all know now to his glory in the ring......And many of us forgave and many of us cheered..........

I wish him good health and hope for his return to Scottsdale and our bookend relationship...He is one of the greatest boxers of all time that's for certain and now I can proudly say...a Great American.........

Get well Champ................

• Upvote 3

A real historic figure & a mighty presence... I got to interact with him briefly twice professionally (not in the ring!  :shok: ) first in the late 80s & even then he was respectful, playful & trapped in a silent personal prison, but his eyes were laser focused on you. When it was time for him to speak he disappeared for 20-30 minutes with his wife & his doctor & then came out able to to speak a bit & laugh & spar playfully with anyone nearby, he obviously enjoyed the interaction but it tired him out quickly.

I mention this because it's hard to imagine him still alive & deteriorating at this glacial pace more than 25 years later, yet another bout in his life. I wish him the best.

• Upvote 1

Thats probably true.  Having said that, Ali/Clay really beat his ass the first fight.  Think Liston underestimated him.  Liston quit on his stool........

Liston was poorly managed and poorly trained. He and his handlers definitely underestimated Clay in the first fight. It came close to Clay quitting a round or two before Liston did. Liston had injured one shoulder and would have been basically fighting one handed had he continued. Clay had a cut over his eye, and Liston's trainer saw that and put astringent or similar on his gloves, The cut was burning like hell and he was ready to quit but his corner would not let him. That is from what I read many years ago about the fight, and apologies if my memory is off.