Calling all aging UK Soulboys & Funcksters

Luung

Yeah, I can see that Jim, PDogg dripping under the 'light fantastic & probably with a tight skinned, violently lime green, frilly, silk shirt with 4" collars on it!

Here's my favorite Marvin Gaye track... 63's better, 'Wherever I Lay my Hat, That's my Home' :p

Hi Soul brothers, I joined LBR some months ago, but for technical reasons was always unable to sign on.

Recently Bumblebee told me of this thread, so I made an effort to resolve the technical problems...well I got on to Larry and he sorted things out.

I've been catching up on vaious rinteresting topics, but this and the Club 131 thread demand my first responses.

I had to skip ahead from about page 4, watching every You Tube clip before joining in would just take two long, I will certainly go back and enjoy them at leisure.

My Soul heydey was a bit earlier than for most of you, around 67/68, that would have made me 15/16, old enough to dance and take pills (They didn't even call it speed back then), young enough to be treated as a naughty boy, copping a conditional discharge on the only occasion when the cops caught me in possession.

To the best of my knowledge the term Northern soul had not been coined either, although it was mainly Northern soul that we listened too.

A question Jim, you said the term Northern soul came about because it was primarily in the North of England that the music was popular. That was always my understanding too, but along the way I read that it had more to do with the geographical origins within the US, ie Northern soul was from artists based in Chicago, Detroit, Philly e.t.c. whilst Southern Soul was out of places like Muscle Shoals.

Our stomping grounds were mainly in Lncashire, although I came from West Yorkshire, The famous Twisted Wheel in Manchester, a place in Burnley, who's name for some reason eludes me (senior moment). Probably the favourite venue was the Birdtrap in Nelson, only 13 miles from home and you were soon accepted as a regular.

Now I've got to take that You Tube tutorial and go searching for some of my old favurites to share with you.

BTW Jim, you mentioned to me in another place that Otis would not have made your top ten (male soul singers. after a short reflection I agreed,I thought for a minute more and concluded the guy that really capture the beauty of soul was Jackie Wilson, it was good to read, back up the thread that we are now in agreement :friends:

• Upvote 2

A question Jim, you said the term Northern soul came about because it was primarily in the North of England that the music was popular. That was always my understanding too, but along the way I read that it had more to do with the geographical origins within the US, ie Northern soul was from artists based in Chicago, Detroit, Philly e.t.c. whilst Southern Soul was out of places like Muscle Shoals.

Hi Patrick good to see you here .

The term "Northern Soul " was indeed a purely English term coined by Blues and Soul journalist Dave Godin to explain the split between commercial chart soul in the London clubs and the rarer sounds played in the northern clubs .

It does add to the confusion that whilst the term Northern applies to the north of England the music was almost exclusively black American soul music .

Many on our scene refer to it as the rare soul scene now days to explain the scarcity and unfortunately the prices in finding these gems .

I have to agree Jackie Wilson is my favourite soul singer of all time also .

One of my favourites popular in the Northern Soul scene .

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/c50IdwvGuRw?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/c50IdwvGuRw?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/c50IdwvGuRw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Welcome aboard Patrick! :)

The easiest way to post Youtube and other media links is to click the icon that looks like three TV screens which is under the B and just to the left of the Twitter icon.

Larry is correct but perhaps more details are required. Don't post the embedded code, simply copy the url of the Youtube video and paste it in the box that appears when you click the 3 TV screens icon.

• Upvote 1

Just read in the papers today that the great Sly Stone is living in a camper van penniless in LA while his ex manager lives off his royalties .... tragic .

Sly at his funkiest B)

As you by now well know Jim, Sly's one of my all time favs... This really is saddening news indeed! :notfair:

He was actually a part time member of 'Parliament' as well & George Clinton stiffed him too!

Sorry I've neglected this thread lately lads, but I've been absolutely up to my eyes in it!

@Patrick, Welcome aboard mate & thanks for kick starting this thread back up :drinks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCQPm5iI8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiIBwu2mjs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVOR28iG_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZpbYqOw4o

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks brother Jim :air_kiss:

Sorry Ive been off the radar kiddies, but it's just taken me a couple of weeks to brush myself down & get over my worst trip to Patts ever!.. Kinda puts you off posting for a while, so considering in the past I've managed to brush off brawls, bike accidents & drug busts in that town, that's saying something!

Anyway, I guess it's that time of of the week again... Sweet, Sweet, Soul on a bright n' breezy Sunday morning... And guess what Soul brothers... "IT'S ALRIGHT... BABY IT'S ALRIGHT... IT'S ALRIGHT, WHOA IT'S ALRIGHT... SOME DAY I'LL MEET A WOMAN GONNA TREAT ME RIGHT"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fginS6uhw-8

Haven't you just got to love Curtis Mayfield :hi:

Oh fuck it, just two more, I couldn't resist... Al Green at his best singing Gospel with Linda Jones and Wanda Neal covering Curtis Mayfield's 'People get Ready'... it don't get much better than that! JMHO :)

I think they might have got the drummer out of the Mupets!?

And just how he can own someone elses tune like this God only knows, but he manages to do it... 'You are so Beutiful to me' :hi:

Fantastic track Jim :clapping: ... In a completely different style now & said by many to be the ever first real 'Disco' hit... 'Soul Manacusa' by Mano Dibango... This was just about the earliest sound I'd ever tried to jig on a dance floor to, back in 1972 when I was eleven years old trying to copy the big lads at our local kiddie disco 'The Elastic Band club'. So way, way, ahead of its time then back then.

I was out on a quiet letch with 'The Hound' last night & he revelled in telling me how much he 'didn't' like this thread... So this is specially for you, you tasteless, overweight, Northern cunt! :hi:

• Upvote 1

Fuck off Lung you short arsed ,baldy headed ,COCKNEY wanker, go draw some dirty pics on the shithouse wall

You ease up on all the nasty fuckin' "Cockney' talk & I'll stop calling you overweight, alright...

Other than that try & get your mind out of the fuckin' shithouse for 5 minutes.

@Sam... stop talking like a prick!

Anyway chickletes, let's move on with the show, here's Jn Walker with one of my all time favs 'Come see about me'