Would You Travel To A Far Away Planet

pdogg

One one of the quiz threads Sustra posted:

which is the name of a possible twin planet of the earth just discoverd on the via Lactea where life could be possible???? ( and thousands of ladyboys never seen before could live? )

Now, I'm sure this planet is too many light years away to get to.

But let's assume you get there in one year.  And one civilian who won the space lottery could go on trip.

It's dangerous on many levels.

Would you go?

Not me.  But I'm sure we have some swashbucklers on the forum that would give their left nut to have this experience of a lifetime.

• Upvote 1

Mars is a one way trip of 5 years. I don't have an interest in a suicide mission. PDogg was proposing a hypothetical trip to Kepler-186. 

Kepler-186 is 500 light years away. Going in the fastest space craft we have today it would take between 30 & 40 thousand years. If we could go by car it would take 54 billion years. 

It's meaningless. Mankind won't have the technology for such a trip for a very long time. Even travelling at the speed of light, there's a chance the planet would be dead by the time we got there. It is in a solar system with a much weaker star than our Sun.

But back to the original question, if I could go & come back in a few years, sure, why not?

Mars is a one way trip of 5 years. I don't have an interest in a suicide mission. PDogg was proposing a hypothetical trip to Kepler-186. 

Kepler-186 is 500 light years away. Going in the fastest space craft we have today it would take between 30 & 40 thousand years. If we could go by car it would take 54 billion years. 

It's meaningless. Mankind won't have the technology for such a trip for a very long time. Even travelling at the speed of light, there's a chance the planet would be dead by the time we got there. It is in a solar system with a much weaker star than our Sun.

But back to the original question, if I could go & come back in a few years, sure, why not?

Voyager would take 20,000 years to go 4 light years. So it would be 2 million years to Kepler at the rate we can travel.

Voyager would take 20,000 years to go 4 light years. So it would be 2 million years to Kepler at the rate we can travel.

I took the figure of 30 to 40,000 years from the news on TV tonight. A scientist was talking about how long it would take. I guessed he was talking about "the fastest space craft we have today". It looks I guessed wrong. He must have been referring to some craft of the future.

Where do you think I got the figure of 54 billion years to drive there? That bit I did hear.

But he never mentioned coming back Pac..  anyhow you cant come back, its cheating

Cheating? How can I be cheating when we are talking hypothetically? 

The original assumption never mentioned a two way trip, that's true. But it never mentioned it had to be one way either. 

Two way, two years, I go.

One way, one year, I don't.

Sheesh, hard crowd.

I just watched Cosmo and they mentioned the 20,000 years to go 4 light years. It's not I did the math or anything.

Even if we could accelerate a spacecraft to near light speed, it would still be 2000 year journey, although for those on the craft it would only be a few decades ( time slows down the faster you go, ask mr. Einstein to explain )

Guest sustra

if the idea of travelling, ( could be just round the corner or to a far away planet ) involves the idea of escaping from conventional rules that are necessary but at the same time ridicolous and unacceptable , and is originated with the concept of acknowledgment and enrichment of your personal perspective, yes...i would do it for sure.

i realized that looking at things and people from different points of view amplifies the importance of the personal "real thing" 

i would be curious to see how people look at their own reality from a different planet......