Car Trivia

SiamSam

I have been captivated by cars ever since I can remember. As a young boy my brother and I use to cut out  photos of cars from magazine and newspaper ads and then paste them into a scrapbook. We became relatively knowledgeable about them and kept facts on the various car companies and the models they offered. My father couldn't afford a car back when we were kids so I suppose our fascination with them was largely a result of that. In any event I thought I'd start a car trivia thread for those among us who share this interest.

Can anyone name the company that manufactured a car called FURY and which car brand it belonged?

Vauxhall Victor... Had one when I was 17... I paid 40 quid for it & watched the rusty front offside wing disintergrate on me like an old Sopwith Camel seaplane getting shot up over the English Channel... Or, at least that's what it felt like on my first maiden voyage down to the south coast.

It was a piece of shit.

• Upvote 2

Fuck me DC, you beat me to the punch while I was writing that.

Funily enough I've got a 1977 Opel Cadett that I've restored up here in Chianggers... And UNFORTUNATELY it was pretty much a Vitcor with a different body... Or that was until I put a fancy race tuned ,Toyota engine in it.

Here you go Sam... What was the main intinsic problem under the bonnet (hood to you), that used to piss everyone off??

Was it being able to keep the carburator tuned?

No, you could tune that up by ear... They were notorious for having trouble with the points... And as a matter of fact I was only talking to an ex AA man (automobile association of Britain) about my car the other day... And he said, "Oh, I remember them, same as a Victor or Viva, always trouble with the f...... points".

I have no idea who made it or anything else about it, does anyone else?

NO, but I want one!!!

I'm no expert on American cars, but looking at the rear end it's very reminisent of a Chrysler Falcon 'Ghia'... And it fits the same period, start of the space age & all that, plus it's definitely been handled by an Italian coach builder such as 'Ghia'.

I'm probably wrong, but who cares... I've got my wanking material for tonight, so many thanks Jai Dee :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Aaah Vauxhall Victor, that brings back memories Lung...all of them bad, I bought mine off a mate who lost his licence. Paid 50 quid obviously too much. It used more oil than petrol. I had an arrangement with a local garage, the used to save oil taken out of cars during a service and sell it to me for 9d a pint.

The thing had a column change with just three gears, but first was almost impossible to find, stopping at traffic lights on any kind of an incline would bring me out in a cold sweat.

Eventually after about 3 months the bloody diff seized up whilst I was doing 70 on the M62, I will never forget being in the car holding the steering wheel as it was towed away arse first...lots of waves from cars flying past. I still get embarrased thinking about it 45 years later :huh:post-367-0-45972400-1395355960_thumb.jpg

This was not the actual beast...no rust on this lass.

• Upvote 2

Corvette should be the highest.

Speaking of Chevys, which one do we associate with Ralph Nader?  

That would be the Corvair and think it was inexpensive.  Ralphue Boy would say unsafe an any speed.

Besides the Corvair and Corvette, Checy also had a Belair and Impala, think the Impala was slightly more expensive than the Belair, almost identical cars really while the Corvair and Corvette were unique.

What was the other name associated with the Corvette, maybe a type of Corvette?

What was the other name associated with the Corvette, maybe a type of Corvette?

Stingray.

More trivia - where are all the old Corvettes, Mustangs, Dodge Chargers, etc finishing up?

Answer: Australia. We have imported 1000's of them & they sell for far more than what they cost new, the best of them are going for silly money. Plus either the buyer or the importer pays 15,000-odd dollars to convert the things from left hand drive to right hand drive. Though I am seeing more & more on special plates that allow them to be driven as they are. Some days I see 10 or more in a few hours on the road. 

Cashed-up mine workers have the money to indulge themselves & after seeing all these made-in-America V8s inl the old movies & TV shows, they are snapping them up like free beer at an orgy.

If any of our American BMs know of a nice classic car or cars for sale, please let me know.

An Australian friend and work colleague of mine who contracted temporarily in London's Dockland's (Canary Wharf) with me during the early 90's had a Corvette Stingray and would often let me drive it, he loved American classic cars. He eventually shipped it back to Australia when he returned home. I remember the windscreen wipers were driven not by a motor, but by some other means and often ran out of puff. Weird.

When I visited him at his home in Gosford in 1999 during a 16-month round the world sabatical he'd already traded in the Stingray for a Mustang. I used to borrow it from time to time during my stay with him. A beautiful vehicle with an electric roof.

Me at the wheel outside my friends home in Gosford, NSW, Australia.

post-101-0-08499200-1395402534_thumb.jpg

Regarding pacman's trivia re: imported classic vehicles to Australia. The Ford Cortina MKII 1600E which I had in 1980 was originally imported to the UK from Australia by a previous owner and it possessed an additional protective sump guard beneath the engine too.

Problem I had with that was it was re-registered as a 'K' and Ford had stopped making the Cortina MKII at 'J' which meant I often caught the interest of police who thought it was either stolen or had false plates. Added to the fact I was 19 years old at the time with what was perceived as a very nice car, that and my skinhead haircut and my 10-hole Doc Marten boots.

One time I was pulled up in Bromley, Kent by the SPG (Special Police Group - since disbanded) in their Sherpa van with about 9 of them in it. They went over my vehicle with a fine-toothed comb determined to find something as I stood on the kerbside and watched. Perhaps 15 minutes had elapsed and they'd found nothing, until one of them, reaching high-up under the dashboard, proudly exclaimed in a loud voice "I've found something!".

As they all gathered around to see what was believed to be my drugs stash he pulled out a piece of oil-soaked rag used to stop the oil gauge dripping from up behind the dials. Sadly for him it had smudged oil up the sleeve of his perfectly ironed white shirt. I must have been seen smirking at this as I was promptly bundled into the back of the Sherpa van and driven to Bromley police station where I was held, searched and questioned for a further two hours. They even thought my contact lens box was a drug container, they were obsessed.

Later I mentioned it to my Dad and he phoned them up and gave them a bollocking and asked them if they'd ever wondered why the youth of today disliked the police so much.

• Upvote 1

Corvette should be the highest.

Speaking of Chevys, which one do we associate with Ralph Nader?  

Perhaps my question was not well put. I was asking about Chevrolet classes of models. From the cheapest to the highest they were: Biscayne, Bel Air, and Impala.

One of my all time favourite chevrolets was the 1959 model. This was the one with the huge flared horizontal tail fins. Rumour had it that if you got it going fast enough the fins would lift the rear of the car off the ground. Beautiful car. The other model year I liked was the 1965 Impala fastback. Damn pretty car. 

Now name the three Pontiac model classes from the cheapest to the most expensive. The most expensive one had different names in the US and Canada.