Netfix

SiamSam

Awhile back my daughter subscribed to Netflix for $7.99 a month. I knew nothing about the service while she raved on and on about it. She never watches regular TV even though we have a 52 inch HD plasma screen. She prefers to watch material on her computer as do most people her age.

At some point last year I was bored and asked her if I could try her Netflix thingy. She set me up and showed me know to use it. I skimmed through their offerings and was impressed with their roster. I stumbled upon a TV series starring Kevin Spacey. I like him as an actor so started to watch this series called "House of Cards". After one episode I was completely hooked. I watched all 13 episodes (the first season) within 3 days. It was terrific. 

The second season was released on Netflix on February 14th and I am already 6 episodes in. I simply cannot get enough of it. Sensational writing, performances, and story. 

This series was made by Netflix for Netflix release only. I believe it is the first of its kind but undoubtedly there will be more similar types of programming to come. It truly is great stuff. 

Don't know if Netflix is available outside of the US and Canada but I'm curious if any of you use it and if so what your thoughts are with it.

No need to have Netflix if you are a thief like myself and may others here who use Bit Torrent to get our stuff.......but I do understand Netflix is a pretty good service and you can't beat the prices, that's for sure.

House of Cards is getting rave reviews in the states, some people saying the Kevin Spacey role is spot-on.   I did watch season one -again, with bit torrent - and thought it was above average,  but not 'exceptional'.  I will watch season 2 for sure......that little Rooney Mara chick, who was also in the Mark Wahlberg movie ''Shooter''; she's a real looker.

Netflix doesn't allow access from Thailand.  VPN needed.

And my VPN is usually too slow to stream video. Although it has worked on occasion. I think many people overseas download torrents. House of Cards is readily available but as always there are some copywrite concerns, etc.

In the US on Dishnetwork one can control their home DVR via the Internet or stream their Dishnetwork programming live. Maybe copywrite issues with that also but I'm to cheap to do that so far so haven't read the fine print.

BTW I didn't like House of Cards so found little reason to keep Netflix. But torrents are a wonderful thing. 

I am leery of using torrents in the US without a proxy server. I was leeching and seeding like a mad man for months in 2012, and got a warning from my internet provider about unauthorized uploading of movies from my IP address. I feigned ignorance, and told them I'd change the password. Since then I only use it for a few TV episodes I may have missed. As soon as they get downloaded I close the torrent, so any seeding from me is limited to the time I am also leeching. The seeding is where they try to get ya. 

I have netflix too now. I like the netflix series called Orange is the New Black. It is about women in prison. Different than any other movies of that genre I've ever seen. 

Haven't watched HOC yet but it's high on my list, just finished watching the second season of "Homeland" over a few nights last week & can enthusiastically recommend it, the lead character is flawed (bipolar) so she is hard to watch sometimes, but knowing a bipolar woman I can attest that it isn't over the top acting that Claire Danes is doing.

I use a Roku box for my netflix & can reco both: I have 300+ items on my to watch list now. You can buy a reconditioned Roku (older model) for as cheap as $39 US now. With that & an antenna one can trim expenses down quite a bit.