The Fear You Might Never Make It Back

bumblebee

When we are in SE Asia and having our LB fill and fun it all seems so natural.  But then you get back to cold, well normally, reality.  Does it ever cross your mind that for some unforeseen reason, maybe that was your last trip for a long time, those halcyon days may be a thing of the past. 

How do you feel when you think that the characters you see daily, be they LBs, staff at your hotel, forum members etc may all become a happy memory rather than a regular part of your life for a period of time every so often?  For me it's almost impossible to comprehend there may never be a next time.

My fear is getting older and not being able to handle the long travel. As the years go by I feel it increasingly more difficult to run with the crowd. Perhaps a Pattaya retirement home exclusively staffed by LBs is in order. Not a terrible idea at all. What better way to live out the golden years. And as Mr. Duke so elegantly put it earlier today, the staff members could make "breakfast" for us every morning.  :jackoff:  :jackoff:  :jackoff:

About this time last year when I was having serious work issues, I honestly did wonder when I would be able to go back. Luckily it was always a "when" rather than an "if", but not having that next trip on the horizon was a daunting feeling. Strange place Pattaya, the way it grips a person like that.

My spin on the answer to your question/s is more related to the entire LOS experience, and doesn't just take into consideration LBs and BMs, and whether I will see them again or not. Personally I feel LOS has indeed lost a bit of its luster, but I think that is quite normal considering how many times I have traveled to the country. I have also spent a bit of time living in various parts of LOS, mainly in Isan, which I think gave me what I call the real "Thai experience". That isn't to say that I don't miss the place when I leave, but the "depression factor" seems to not even exist any longer. In my earlier years, when I would return home from LOS, I would be a miserable bastard for days, sometimes weeks, and could only solve the problem by buying a ticket within a week or two of being back, and having another trip on the calendar. These days, its more of the business as usual upon return. 

As of recent I have found the interaction with BMs moving higher up on my "fun" scale. I really enjoying sitting around the bar, talking some shite, and having a few beers with the boys. What about the LBs you ask? Well, they will always be there, nothing changes, some leave the scene, others retire only to return home to their shop and house, and the others, well, they are still lurking in the dark corners of the LOS Sois. Bless their souls, you just got to love them. -Swedeman007

• Upvote 2

As of recent I have found the interaction with BMs moving higher up on my "fun" scale. I really enjoying sitting around the bar, talking some shite, and having a few beers with the boys. What about the LBs you ask? Well, they will always be there, nothing changes, some leave the scene, others retire only to return home to their shop and house, and the others, well, they are still lurking in the dark corners of the LOS Sois. Bless their souls, you just got to love them. -Swedeman007

That's the thing that concerns me also.  If it wasn't for our annual meets in Pattaya there are good friends from all over the world whom I might never see again.  Pattaya/Los is our hub and it's sobering to think I might not share some beers with these guys for the rest of my life if i stopped going.

Guest JustSumGai

totally agree with Swedeman and to add to that, actually I find myself more and more being glad to be home. All the little annoyances here are NOT there. I can go to the bathroom without getting my shorts hem wet, I can have HOT water showers every time, people tend to actually DO what they say and at least NEAR the time they say they will or contact me about it. I almost never feel like a mushroom. etc etc. 

Also agree with JimSlim's comment. Airfares keep inching up. Typically $100 a year, this year being a total fluke and giving me the same airfare as a few years ago. Next year it might be up to 1500 or 1600 as it was showing for most of THIS year when I tuned in to look. I could never think of just ignoring all the bullshit and plunking down say $2000 just  to enjoy good (also increasingly rising costwise) Thai food and the occasional ladyboy. At my age my dick don't run the show. 

Maybe another question to ask is what's your airfare threshold? at what point do you start to look at other places to go? Maybe a coincidence but I'm noticing a lot more guys hitting Phils, sometimes not even coming here on the trip.

As an American, central America is about 6 hrs away too. NOT 30 hours.

• Upvote 1