Camelot

SiamSam

I have always found it interesting/frustrating/amusing how Thais understand/translate English. Having had a few Thai relationships I have gotten into some heated arguments over things I said which they understood in a completely nonsensical, irrational way. Drove me crazy. Still does. 

Today on a baht bus with my Thai girlfriend we drove by a place called the "Camelot Hotel". She turned to me and said the place must be a big sex hotel. I asked why she thought that. She said it was called Camelot. I said yes, and went on to tell her Camelot was a legendary place where the mythical King Arthur and his Queen Guinevere went to holiday. Of course she had no grasp of this whats so ever. I then asked why she would think it was a sex hotel. She said because it means people would go there to cum-a-lot. 

sigh...

Anyone else have any interesting translation stories either amusing or put a bullet in your head frustrating? 

• Upvote 2

...and went on to tell her Camelot was a legendary place where the mythical King Arthur and his Queen Guinevere went to holiday. 

They what? I'm not sure which story you're referencing but my understanding is Camelot is where King Arthur had his court. It was in a castle in Camelot where the round table was located. That's THE round table of the Knights of the Round Table fame, not a round table, for those unfamiliar with the story.

Yes Sam, the Thais can be very obtuse with their interpretation of English. The one thing I credit them with is their knowledge of English far exceeds our knowledge of Thai. And seeing the words 'came' & 'lot' together, your girl has made a fair hash of working out what it means in context of the hotel being in Sodom-by-the-sea. She's wrong of course but that doesn't make her any less smart.

See how you go explaining this little riddle  to her :

Why does Camelot come a lot?

Because he plays with his Lancelot.     

• Upvote 1

This is slightly tangential but funny nevertheless.

Vietnamese rarely know the word cremate in English (though of course they have such a VNese term: thieu).

Recently talking to some of them about what were the plans for the corpse and they answered me in English: barbecue!

• Upvote 1

does that cum with fries Ken.

On the first subject, when me and a ladyboy had a quicky a wile back witch wasn't much chop I bashed my knee on the door frame

and I said fuck and she said TIP and me being the dummy said your not getting a tip off me,and then realized she meant hurt  my knee

didn't I feal like a dickhead...(I gave her a tip)

Yeh, another one: the VNese slang for cunt is chim, which literally means bird.

But you know how it is, we all call folks we don't appreciate so much: cunt!

Well, this expat I know was busy doing this, calling all and sundry cunts, which drove his GG girlfriend to ask: what's cunt? When he told her the literal meaning, surprised that she'd want to know, she fell all over the place laughing. She was beside herself that we weird Westerners would keep as the ultimate insult for another bloke, the word for her genitals. And a bird at that.

• Upvote 1