Anyone get a Thai Tourist Visa in PP lately?

Guest JustSumGai

Guest JustSumGai

seems they've been at it again. NOW if I want to get a TTV I have to put in for it IN PERSON at my states honorary Thai consulate. This is six hours round trip and I don't own a car. AND if you want a multi/dual entry Tourist Visa your flight itinerary has to show the flight leaving Thailand and coming back, in between your arrival and departure flights. Now in the past I've just gone to PP, handed the Passport over to an agent and picked it up a few days later with the TTV in it. No forms, no bother. I am now wondering (AFTER I booked my flight for almost 4 months) if they have changed THAT somehow. Does anyone know? thanks for any info from those "on the ground"

Guest JustSumGai

thanks Jim, big load off my mind. I'm commited to 4 months over there SOMEwhere and I was planning to spend the bulk of it in Thailand with my mature femboy fiance. (or all natural ladyboy I spose). Not really lookin forward to Christmas and New Years eve in Cambodia, but it seems I'm often there at that time anyway. 

Do you recall the cost of this? Last time I did it Thailand was offering FREE tourist visa but I think it still cost me like $45 anyways. Looks like I'll be experiencing the Air Asia system and DM airport, so yet another adventure :)

• 4 months later...

Have to do a visa run tomorrow so have opted to got to Phnom Penh on a 4 day recce.

Suggest you take a few passport photos in Pattaya as this will speed things up on the airport.

If you are getting a 2 month Thai Visa in PP then your timing is tight and suggest you go to a travel agent to do so as soon as you arrive,

The travel agent I recommend is outside Indochine along the River approx Street 144.  Slightly cheaper and extremely reliable.

Any last minute questions, now is the time to ask    :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I think you can do a Thai visa in two days if you go to the embassy yourself?? But not 100% sure. But in the past there have been reports of the process being slower unless one was willing to grease the wheels with a few extra $$$.

I got mine done at Indoworld Travel a small shop on street 172.  http://indoworldtour.com  It was US$45 for a Thai single entry tourist visa. But my passport needed to be at the travel place EARLY Monday (I dropped it off Sunday night) and I didn't get it back until Thursday around 7 PM. In reality one would probably need to stay five full nights to use a visa service. If the Thai embassy is closed for a day during the middle of the process it might take an extra day??

All these little shops that do visas are obviously using some bigger service to collect all the passports, fill out the visa application form, go to the embassy twice and then return the passports. A friend of mine in PP suggested it might possibly be Lucky Lucky on Monivong Boulevard. http://www.jaredscambodia.com/cambodia/phnompenh/services/lucky-lucky.html   I had a Cambo tourist visa extended for a month once and used LL. They had a big safe with hundreds of passports inside. If Lucky Lucky is indeed the middle man it might be worth checking out their Thai passport turn around time. But maybe it will be no different.

Suggest you take a few passport photos in Pattaya as this will speed things up on the airport.

I got 16 passport photos in 2006 in Pattaya and I am still using them and have a few left. I always get my Cambodia Tourist visa online. By the time one gets finished paying all the fees it's US$28 instead of the $20 for a visa on arrival. But I never have to get in the visa line when arriving in PP. And I hate standing in line. The e-visa uses a digital picture so no passport photo needed. FWIW  

• Upvote 2

I did the Thai embassy option once.  From what I recall you leave it in in the morning, say Monday and collection it the next afternoon.  I saw a Japanese guy in front of me being refused as he did not have proof of accommodation in Thailand, so it's not a given you will get the visa doing it yourself.

Good luck EA, the beer is dirt cheap there, have a jug for me up on the Riverfront. :drinks:

Thanks for the visa info guys......I have a double entry tourist visa obtained in South Africa and have finished the 1st 60 day plus 30 day extension so just going to activate the 2nd entry.which I believe is straight forward..just need to leave LOS and come back in......no need to do anything in Cambodia except drink the cheap beer and food,,,,,,,,,,no idea of the costs of Bar Fines and LT/ST rates!

After what BB told me I decided to go to Phnom Penh for a short stay as oppossed to the visa run to Poipet........Flight Bangkok to PP only 5350 Baht Cambodia Angkor Air.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the visa info guys......I have a double entry tourist visa obtained in South Africa and have finished the 1st 60 day plus 30 day extension so just going to activate the 2nd entry.

This is precisely the reason why I rarely go to the bother of providing information or responding anymore.

My friend Xyzzy went to all the trouble of providing good information for you gleaned from experience for you in the belief that it was what was required by you and contained good information for you that was triggered by you but ultimately not required by you. He is too nice to say it but I'm not, people like you get up my nose.

Hopefully someone else will benefit from his posts at some stage so his efforts are not completely wasted. It's just frustrating when a few simple words by you could have saved him the time and effort when all he was trying to do was to help you.

Feel free to consult us here if you need any further info about Phnom Penh EA, hell Pdogg even gives up information that you didn't actually ask for and got us all confused, very presumptuous of you PD. :mad0245::biggrin:   Looking forward to reading your impressions of the general scene and any encounters you may have.  Have fun and for sure you will enjoy those beers.  The PBG will seem like a rip off in comparison after you get back. :drinks:

Have to do a visa run tomorrow so have opted to got to Phnom Penh on a 4 day recce.

Never been to Cambodia.

Armed with the info on this thread I am looking forward to what will hopefully be an Erotic Adventure..

Thanks to those contributors who make LB mongering so much easier.

This is precisely the reason why I rarely go to the bother of providing information or responding anymore.

My friend Xyzzy went to all the trouble of providing good information for you gleaned from experience for you in the belief that it was what was required by you and contained good information for you that was triggered by you but ultimately not required by you. He is too nice to say it but I'm not, people like you get up my nose.

Hopefully someone else will benefit from his posts at some stage so his efforts are not completely wasted. It's just frustrating when a few simple words by you could have saved him the time and effort when all he was trying to do was to help you.

Wow!what a surprising reaction one I may have expected on other LB forums.

DC perhaps you should re-read my post #27 which very simply says I will be going to Cambodia for the 1st time on a visa run and thanked the BM's who had supplied invaluable info on this thread......there was no request or implication that I wanted further information......I do sincerely apologize to xyzzy....pdogg and bb all of whom I know personally,should they feel I wasted their time....they all make valuable positive contributions to this forum which is most appreciated.There is no doubt that their feedback and advice whilst may not be applicable for me on this trip...it will be very handy some other time and is a fantastic reference for any other BM's who may need to apply for visas in Cambodia.

• Upvote 2

No need to apologise to me EA I just read PDs reply and mistakenly took it from there.

As did I. So it's all PDs fault. :biggrin:  The guy is such a trouble maker. I would still like to see someone find out if Lucky Lucky does a faster turn around than other places. May have to go myself to find out.  :biggrin:   

Wow!what a surprising reaction one I may have expected on other LB forums.

DC perhaps you should re-read my post #27 which very simply says I will be going to Cambodia for the 1st time on a visa run and thanked the BM's who had supplied invaluable info on this thread......there was no request or implication that I wanted further information......I do sincerely apologize to xyzzy....pdogg and bb all of whom I know personally,should they feel I wasted their time....they all make valuable positive contributions to this forum which is most appreciated.There is no doubt that their feedback and advice whilst may not be applicable for me on this trip...it will be very handy some other time and is a fantastic reference for any other BM's who may need to apply for visas in Cambodia.

You're absolutely right, no question about it. A total over-reaction on my part for which I apologise  :sign0181:

You're also right about this forum too. I must have been reading a certain other just before and the frustration seeped over. I'll try and slip a cup of tea in-between forum changes next time to allow any uneven blood pressure readings to reset.

- - -

As a peace offering and to add further information re: obtaining a Thai visa in Phnom Penh.

The little stall which pdogg and xyzzy referred to is:

- "STS Mobile Ticket Agency", I've used it several times.

- Located on Riverside at the entrance to the Indochine Hotel between Streets 144 & 148

- The lady speaks good English and her phone number is: +855 (0)17555119

- A 60-day single entry Thai visa costs $52 (but you can haggle a bit, I got it for $50)

- One passport photo is required with a 4 business day turn-around.

Information valid as of February 2014.

- - -

I always get my Cambodia Tourist visa online. By the time one gets finished paying all the fees it's US$28 instead of the $20 for a visa on arrival. But I never have to get in the visa line when arriving in PP. And I hate standing in line. The e-visa uses a digital picture so no passport photo needed. FWIW

I agree. The eVisa for Cambodia is definitely the way to go.

The benefits of the extra few dollars it costs are felt immediately on arrival as you simply bypass the disorganised melee that is the visa on arrival queues and walk straight to immigration. Be sure to check you're in the right queue as not all will accept the eVisa, they have stickers on the immigration booths. I learned the hard way once and had to queue again.

No photo required so long as you have a digitally scanned passport photo (or take a photo of a passport photo).

The last major plus point is the fact that the eVisa saves a whole page in your passport too.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

• Upvote 1

Guest JustSumGai

Also look into any happenings that might coincide with you getting your visa. Year before last I went in around Chinese New Year and after 4 days went back to the agent and was told problem with my visa. Not enough pages, but this did NOT trouble the nice guy who they said would put in a tourist visa for me for $35, after I paid 4 days overstay as my Cambo visa went belly up on about the third day. Then I got told I would come back on a friday, which was the day the King got cremated causing many main streets to be closed and many people coming into the city.

THIS trip, I was going for it at OUR NYE and found out that banks there close for 3 days around NY's day, which fell in the middle of the week, meaning I might have gotten my passport into PP firday, but nothing was gonna happen until Monday I'd think. Is the Thai embassy open Saturday or Sunday? I'd say the key thing is getting your passport in early Monday, often it'll be picked up by afternoon, making it's way to the Embassy the next day. Once I was offered a faster turnaround for extra money paid.

• Upvote 1

As did I. So it's all PDs fault. :biggrin:  The guy is such a trouble maker.

Yes, I started all this so I suppose Aussies can call me a cunt, Brits can call me a wanker, Yanks a jerkoff or perhaps even the rarely used douchebag.    :biggrin:

Or others can call me a fucking whatever, forget what "whatever" was the last time I saw that; I must be getting old as they're calling me Papa now.   :notfair:

The post I partially quoted was at the top of the page and others followed my lead; my bad.

could you give me some idea where Space Bar Hair Salon is?

It's on street 136 almost a couple of blocks off the river. It's directly across the street from the large/obvious Queen Wood Hotel. Yes really Queen Wood. :biggrin:

Also look into any happenings that might coincide with you getting your visa. Year before last I went in around Chinese New Year and after 4 days went back to the agent and was told problem with my visa. Not enough pages, but this did NOT trouble the nice guy who they said would put in a tourist visa for me for $35, after I paid 4 days overstay as my Cambo visa went belly up on about the third day. Then I got told I would come back on a friday, which was the day the King got cremated causing many main streets to be closed and many people coming into the city.

THIS trip, I was going for it at OUR NYE and found out that banks there close for 3 days around NY's day, which fell in the middle of the week, meaning I might have gotten my passport into PP firday, but nothing was gonna happen until Monday I'd think. Is the Thai embassy open Saturday or Sunday? I'd say the key thing is getting your passport in early Monday, often it'll be picked up by afternoon, making it's way to the Embassy the next day. Once I was offered a faster turnaround for extra money paid.

Thai consulate in PP:

Office Hours : Monday – Friday 08.30–12.00 hrs. and 14.00–17.00 hrs.

Visa and Consular section :

08.30–11.00 hrs. (Submission Time)

15.00-16.30 hrs (Collection Time)

You are suppose to be able to drop it off in the morning and pick it up the next afternoon. But TITIC - This is Thailand in Cambodia. :biggrin:

I was suppose to be in PP when the king was cremated but left after only four nights so I could aviod the whole funeral thing.

As DC mentioned the e-visa doesn't use a page in your passport. I need to renew my passport this year and if I hadn't used e-visa on my six trips I probably would have needed more passport pages last year. I got more pages added back in 2008 at the US embassy in PP for free. But these days the US charges $82 to add pages. If one only has a year and a half or two left on a US passport it probably makes more sense to just renew the passport and get the big book instead of getting more pages.

=========================

Well now I will do a little complaining. Perhaps all this Cambo visa/travel info should be ripped out of this thread and be another thread? This thread really was a bar info thread for the first few pages. Something with a better title might lead people to this thread in the future when the bar info will long be out of date?

• Upvote 1

Perhaps all this Cambo visa/travel info should be ripped out of this thread and be another thread? This thread really was a bar info thread for the first few pages. Something with a better title might lead people to this thread in the future when the bar info will long be out of date?

Good idea xyzzy!

I'm a bit mao now, and don't want to screw it up, so I'll take care of it tomorrow.  

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. The eVisa for Cambodia is definitely the way to go.

The benefits of the extra few dollars it costs are felt immediately on arrival as you simply bypass the disorganised melee that is the visa on arrival queues and walk straight to immigration. Be sure to check you're in the right queue as not all will accept the eVisa, they have stickers on the immigration booths. I learned the hard way once and had to queue again.

No photo required so long as you have a digitally scanned passport photo (or take a photo of a passport photo).

The last major plus point is the fact that the eVisa saves a whole page in your passport too.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

As Jimmy Cannon, the New York sportswriter from two generations ago would say, Nobody but asked me but :biggrin:   

It seems that many people are getting the e-Visa, so much so that even though I was one one of the last people off the plane (I am convinced u are more likely to get an empty seat next to you if you sit in the back)  that the visa process took only a minute while in he past it might have taken 20 minutes. 

A Cambodia tourist visa is good for 30 days.  It costs 20 USD, and you pay in US Dollars, and can be renewed just once for an extra 30 days.  If one doesn't have an e-Visa it will save time if you have the passport photo and 20 bucks in USA currency.   (it might be 1 month instead of 30 days).

If you are going to be in Cambodia for more than two months then you'll need to get an Ordinary Visa which costs 25 USD and can get renewed as many times as you like in periods of 3 months (though renewing for 6 months or more gives you the right of re-entry on that visa.

This is the first time I took Bangkok Air to Phnom Penh.  Bangkok Air leaves from Suvanaphumi which was much easier for me than Air Asia. I believe Cambodia Air also leaves from Suvanaphumi.

Bangkok Air allows you 20 kg of checked luggage but you can join their frequent flyer program for free and that gives you an extra 10kg of checked luggage for a total of 30kg checked luggage.

You are also permitted 5 kg of carry-on luggage, lower than most airlines, but no one is checking the weight, Bangkok Air is not a nit-picking airline.  

Bangkok Air to Cambodia generally leaves from area D at Swampy, but if you have time to kill I suggest you go their Lounge in area A with free wifi, and also free coffee and snacks such as croissants and mini-tuna sandwiches.

As Jimmy Cannon, the New York sportswriter from two generations ago would say, Nobody but asked me but :biggrin:   

It seems that many people are getting the e-Visa, so much so that even though I was one one of the last people off the plane (I am convinced u are more likely to get an empty seat next to you if you sit in the back)  that the visa process took only a minute while in he past it might have taken 20 minutes. 

A Cambodia tourist visa is good for 30 days.  It costs 20 USD, and you pay in US Dollars, and can be renewed just once for an extra 30 days.  If one doesn't have an e-Visa it will save time if you have the passport photo and 20 bucks in USA currency.e one month instead of 30 days).

If you are going to be in Cambodia for more than two months then you'll need to get an Ordinary Visa which costs 25 USD and can get renewed as many times as you like in periods of 3 months (though renewing for 6 months or more gives you the right of re-entry on that visa.

This is the first time I took Bangkok Air to Phnom Penh.  Bangkok Air leaves from Suvanaphumi which was much easier for me than Air Asia. I believe Cambodia Air also leaves from Suvanaphumi.

Bangkok Air allows you 20 kg of checked luggage but you can join their frequent flyer program for free and that gives you an extra 10kg of checked luggage for a total of 30kg checked luggage.

You are also permitted 5 kg of carry-on luggage, lower than most airlines, but no one is checking the weight, Bangkok Air is not a nit-picking airline.  

Bangkok Air to Cambodia generally leaves from area D at Swampy, but if you have time to kill I suggest you go their Lounge in area A with free wifi, and also free coffee and snacks suchs a croissants and mini-tuna sandwiches.

FWIW when I went to PP in December I used BKK Air and had the same experience. I noticed almost no one at the visa counter as I looked back from immigration where I was entering with my e-visa. However there was no line at immigration and I sat three rows from the back of the plane (the other two seats next to me were empty). That left me with the impression that perhaps many of the passengers were Cambodian and went to different immigration booths?? Plus the plane wasn't packed so that helped with the lack of crowding. It would be interesting to hear the experience from someone that flew to PP on AirAsia recently. Everytime I've flown into PP on AirAsia there has been a fair size queue at the visa counter and they have been doing e-visas since at least 2008. I would assume the e-visa is getting more popular. But in the first seven years I used it and flew AirAsia it didn't seem to be gaining much traction. But perhaps that has finally changed.    

BTW if you fly BKK Air and belong to their fee FF club you not only get 10 kg of extra baggage as PD mentioned you get to use their lounges at BKK and PP even on their lowest fare tickets. You don't need to have any special status in their FF program. At one point there was no water fountain at the PP airport after security. So you could fill your water bottle in the lounge. But not a big deal if on BKK Air as they actually manage to serve you a real airline meal on the one hour flight. So you get something to drink anyway.

I am under the impression the non tourist visa for long stay is called a business visa. It matters not if you are not doing any business.

BKK Air charges more for a one way flight than they do for one leg of a round trip. BKK Air is usually a bit more expensive than AirAsia expecially if you catch a big sale of AA. But it seems even more expensive if you are booking one way. However the advantages of flying out of BKK instead of DMK were worth a bit extra for me. I took the Bell Bus from Hua Hin to Swampy and was too lazy to make the transfer to DMK with my suitcase, carry on and laptop. So if the price is reasonably close I take BKK Air. But I always have to pay for a fair amount of baggage on AirAsia as I travel heavy. I also pay for a seat in the exit row for extra leg room as the seat pitch on AirAsia is only 29 inches (BKK Air 31 inches). So I pay for some extras others might not on AA making it more expensive. That helps make BKK Air more competive price wise for me.

I did once wait until almost the last day to book a one way from PP to BKK and it was actually cheaper on BKK Air (with my extra fees on AA). Neither were cheap but AA had jacked their last minute prices up even more than BKK Air.

• Upvote 1