Phuket vs. Pattaya

randiuno

I love my Filipino girls, but thinking I might give Thailand another try.

I went to Pattaya in November, and met some great members of this board...Bumblebee, PDogg, JimSlim, and others, and the girls in Pattaya are off the hook, and from a butterfly mongers perspective...very affordable.

The only issue I have with Pattaya is that the beach is not really as pretty as some other places I have been.  I suspect Phuket would give me the exotic relaxing beach experience I like during the day.  However, how much ladyboy action (cost, quantity, and quality) do I give up by going to Phuket on my next trip as opposed to Pattaya?

Also, I'm aware that the lodging is much more expensive in Phuket, than Pattaya, but this question is just related to the girls.

Any feedback on the difference between the Phuket scene and Pattaya scene would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Randi

• Upvote 2

Most reports from Phuket and particularly Patong come from Cocktails & Dreams and and when Jimbo takes whoever is in town down to Soi Croc, both on Soi Bangla.  Maybe take a look at the C&D thread here and see does anything take your fancy.  I'd imagine there are other LBs sprinkled around the various bar complexes, but nobody seems to post much about them if they exist.

Personally I used to be a big fan of Patong in my early Thailand days, but once I discovered Pattaya in late '07 I never bothered going back again.  The sheer numbers and choice of LBs in Pattaya is something else and Patong does not compare if that is the main deal breaker and not the beach.  

Patong beach is fine, but i have heard that in high season it can get quite packed with sun loungers but of course there are great beaches further afield if you hire a bike.

If you are into the beach, swimming, snorkeling, or scuba then you really need to go to Phuket.  It was 15 years ago that I first went to Thailand, and it was to Phuket.  I had always wanted to learn to dive, and I did, and I've been hooked ever since.  I have always stayed in the Karon/Kata beach areas, not in Patong, which is really just a Pattaya but with a better clientele (somewhat) but MUCH better beach and water, needless to say!

Funny, I've never mongered in Phuket.  I'm there to dive every other day, sometimes a couple of days in a row.  Partying and diving the next day?  Well, you can try that.  Once.  A hangover on a dive boat is no fun.  It is funny to puke underwater, though.  Fish eat it!  But having puke mouth and breathing through your regulator for the rest of the dive is pretty gross.  But, I digress.

So, I can't help with the mongering situation.  But, I have noticed even in Karon and Kata there are some open bar areas that do tend to have a stray LB or two.  (They've waved to me as I've ridden by on my rental motorbike.  They say I'm a handsome man and ask where I'm from.  Just like in Pattaya!  Imagine that!)  So, maybe Phuket has a tiny bit of a Pattaya feel in that regard.  As for prices, yes it is a little more expensive than Pattaya, and a bit more than BKK, but not really that bad.  I've had my bookings for a room in Kata for a couple of months now for the very heart of high season around Christmas (not my favorite time to go to Thailand, but since our office basically shuts down for two weeks then there is no sense in staying home), and I'm paying 1800 baht a night for a small but clean room in a newer small hotel with nice TV, wifi, etc. two blocks from the beach.  Beer is typically around 80 baht.  Food varies greatly in price like anywhere in Thailand.  I generally hang with people in the dive business whom I've gotten to know, so they always know where to go for a good but (relatively) inexpensive meal.  My daily budget in Phuket is not too much more than in BKK or Pattaya, but that is mostly due to dive expenses.  For example, in Phuket I'll spend $100 USD for a day dive trip, in Pattaya basically the same amount for dinner and a LT with a sweetie companion.

The perfect vacation?  Two weeks in Phuket diving, followed by two weeks in Pattaya sucking and fucking.  I've done that half a dozen times in recent years!  Looking forward to it again!

• Upvote 2

If you are going to scuba or snorkel then pick Phuket.

If you just want some time on the beach, you can go to Pattaya and take a boat to Ko Larn or just take a baht bus Jomtien

Monger wise, Pattaya is 50x better  (let the the arrows fly !)