You Dont See A Dead Body Everyday....

....but I did today!!!  Took a semi relaxing boat trip up the river today.  Just pulling into a dock (  think it was #6) glanced off to the side and saw a guy doing the dead mans float.  Didnt see it for long so I didnt see if it was very bloated or not.  He was "hugging" the pier and couldnt tell if he was connected with rope or what.  It was too quick.  Did see a cop/rent a cop standing there with a radio with a couple of gawkers.  Was sat by a cute girl from Bhtan of all places and we did a quick look at each other as of to say was that what we THOUGHT it was!!!!!  It was indeed!!!!

You NEVER know what the hell you are going to see here!!!!

• Upvote 2

I was over in Jomtien a few years ago chilling out on the beach.  I noticed a crowed gathered about 300 metres away on the shoreline and in the shallows all looking in the same direction.  Out of curiosity I strolled up only to see an oldish farang lying on a sandbank with the shallow water lapping at his body.  Someone approached and placed a cloth over the upper part of his torso and head.

A Thai guy was gesturing angrily to two younger Thais on a jet ski, i could not make out what it was about, but possible they had hit him while he was swimming, just guessing on this.  But is was a sobering thought to think that this poor guy had entered the water for a casual holiday dip probably within the previous 30 minutes, never to return to dry land alive.

Thankfully I have only seen a few over the journey. Death is not something I get off on.

But I have had a near-death seeing experience of late. Some of you who know me well will have forgotten that once in one of my threads (don't have any idea which one) I mentioned my living arrangements here in Vietnam whereby the grand deal on my house entailed as trade-off an aged VNese couple living downstairs. Thankfully that arrangement collapsed some time ago. But the old lady concerned died week before last (cancer, aged 71).

Wednesday and Thursday before last I attended the funeral. About my 7th or 8th VNese funeral, but this one more emotionally intense as I knew her far better than any of the others. VNese are big on death, to an extent I find somewhat gruesome. The funerals go for days (witch doctor and cost determine how long), with all sorts of partying combined with music, wailing, stick lighting, monks chanting, the whole box and dice.

By the time I attended on the Wed she was in her box. But the day before is family day, when the corpse is laid out and dressed, then put in the box. This very day, today, ironically, one of the deceased's children showed me the photo albumn of the whole shebang. This telephone book thick photo collection had the first 30 pages full of pix of the corpse in various stages of that first day. I was surprised to see it looking so well, if you'll pardon my gallows humour. The cancer may have killed her, but her face still looked normal and healthy (all I could see was face, as she had been robed and beanied).

It was very interesting to me to see pix of all her family, children and grandchildren, touching the body, kneeling beside it, praying, lighting sticks. Very powerful the way they confront death. Made me actually wish I'd been invited to that private day. I felt like I would have liked to see her one last time. As it was I only saw the box, placed there as centrepiece, then transported to the fire.

VNese are so into death they had it all recorded by a pro photographer, as we in the West would for say, a wedding.

So I didn't get to see her dead body, but the pix today were eery and moving.

• Upvote 2

I get it Mr. Ken and have experienced similar.

I would have liked to have recused you on my Harley Davidson with two bottles of cold Australian white ones in my side saddles. We could have drove off to some remote spot and got it out of your system.

Miss you.

XO 

• Upvote 1

I get it Mr. Ken and have experienced similar.

I would have liked to have recused you on my Harley Davidson with two bottles of cold Australian white ones in my side saddles. We could have drove off to some remote spot and got it out of your system.

Miss you.

XO 

Thanks Sam. Likewise I miss you. Hope we can catch up in say, 2014. I won't be getting to Thailand this year by the looks of it.