Vaccinations, Health Tips etc for a First Trip.

bumblebee

Just some medical advice for anyone planning their first trip to Thailand and SE Asia in general regarding vaccinations.  For most visitors to Thailand the following are advised.

Tetanus, Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, typhoid. 

Personally I never bothered taking any anti malaria tablets as i read up on it and decided it would be unlikely I'd been in locations where it is prevalent.  So far so good.

Hopefully some more of you guys can chime in with added tips for other locations in the region that you have experienced and updates on any outbreaks of anything nasty.

I've always referred to the CDC Website, lots of good info there.  My travel doc always prints it out and hands me a copy as well when I head in to get my boosters.  Tells what vaccinations are recommended, health warnings for Thailand, and and other helpful tips.

I went for the Hep A & B vaccinations due to the nature of our hobby.  Which reminds me, I'm due for a trip to the doc to get jabbed.

CDC Site:  Travel Health For Thailand

After this last trip l found myself with a collection of various aches, cramps, runs and overall feeling like shit. It forced me to do a barrage of tests and found that l picked up a couple of nasty parasites. After much research l realized that although the food carts and the open air cooking could be the source, there were too many options and on top of the list were oral sex and everything else in between. Go figure! 

The list is long but "c difficile" is a nasty one and it is spread with being in contact with feces, plus due to the fact that we play in the bog its very hard to steer clear. So can we avoid it, nope and will we stop nope!

Another little tidbit l did find out was to take Dukoral a month before the trip. It comes in two doses one week apart and lasts for up to 5 years. It will kill that nasty travellers' diarrhea. Its available over the counter.

The price we pay to live dangerously.

Play safe.

ET

• Upvote 1

C difficile is well beyond nasty. It was almost convinced i had that a while back. Ironic that a shit milkshake is the best known cure for this... Google it if you must :)

Another common parasite ive picked up is Giardia_lamblia. Horrible until they realise you have it.

The usual antibioics such as cipro dont do the job on this one.

Ive caught it twice - source can be ice or water or fecal matter.

I was sicks for about 8 weeks with ugly shits and chronic fatigue & dehydration until Metronidazole saved the day. 8 weeks of chronic troubles and fixed within 48 hrs of finding the right medicine. Thank buddha.

I got a single cell intestinal parasite one trip. Sort of like a mild stomach ache except a little lower. Trips to the bathroom were not good. It took me a while to finally give in and go to the doctor. I had to take metronidazole for a week. Supposedly metronidazole and alcohol can make someone very sick. So it was a week without alcohol.  Oh I also had a fungal infection on my private parts at the same time. So no sex either. Pretty well hosed three weeks of of my trip before all was well again.