Campaign for Real Music in Alehouses (CARMA)

Guest Route65

Guest Route65

I'm sure we've all been in one or two bars around Pattaya, and I'm sure quite a few people have noticed the distinctly awful quality of the ...ahem... 'music' that is played in said bars.  The volume of the 'music' is quite another issue - usually somewhere between earsplitting and brainmelting, I find.

There are a few exceptions - Famous Bar, particularly - where the manager/owner will be happy to play the music that the punters like and/or bring with them.  God bless their cotton socks.

It may be that I'm getting old (but then who isn't?), but I don't think that has a particular bearing on this, as there is some modern music that I quite like.  No, I think I can state - with hand on heart - that the dreadful shite we are subjected to in bar after bar after bar is ... well, torture on the ears.  And it doesn't help that it all sounds the same.  Don't believe me?  Here's scientific proof that it does.

Now, as I live here, I'm in a position not just to complain about it, but to actually do something about it.

What objective did I have in mind?  Well, I had two things in mind.  One - stuff that wouldn't make me feel physically sick to have to listen to (yes, that's you, Harlem Shake, that I'm talking about), and two - it had to be something the girls in La Bamba could actually dance to, 'cos god knows we love to see them shake their booties.

Still with me?  Good, then I'll continue.

With that in mind, I ...ahem... acquired a bunch of albums (showing my age there, what what?) and sat down to listen to at least a portion of each track - some 3000 tracks in total.  And, yes, they did all begin to sound the same after a while - after about 3 tracks, to be precise.  These albums were of the 'Summer Dance Party,' 'Holiday Anthems,' 'Dream Dance Volume 66' variety, so I'm sure you must think I deserve a medal for my efforts...

As I sit here now typing this, I feel ... polluted.  There's no other way to describe it.  Sullied, unclean, having subjected myself to the most execrable, miserable, meritless pile of poo I've ever had the misfortune to listen to.  And the result?  Just over 100 tracks - out of over 3000! -  that I could describe as the least objectionable of them all.  Not good, you understand - just the least worst.  And, boy, did I have to lower my sights - there is not 1 track that I can actually say I like. Not a single one.

So - and here's the point (Rickshaw will be relieved.  555) - what can we do to improve the quality of music in bars that we frequent - in some cases, bars that we love?  This is a call to arms, gentlemen.  Let us not go quietly into the night (possibly due to battered eardrums), let us do something about it.  Act, demand, suggest, whatever.

Over to you.

• Upvote 2

Good luck getting good music played at an acceptable volume level. The Thais in the bars just don't get the idea that there is a place for music that isn't played at silly levels. I am not talking about educated people here but they aren't the ones in charge of the volume control. Bars compete with each other by playing music at ever louder levels because that's what they think we want. 

I can't remember there ever being a time in LOS when the volume wasn't ridiculous. And I as age, my tolerance has waned. I remember being warned I would turn into my father. I should never have doubted them.

There's a great quote about the fall of civilizations being foretold when the music turns rotten. Something like "when the music turns bad, the country will follow". I can't remember it exactly & I forget which philosopher said it but he was referring to the fall of the Roman Empire. I am reminded of it every time I hear some mindless rap music banging on about hoes & bitches & bling & drugs, etc. 

"How long before the rest of society follows down the drain?" is the thought going through my head. There's still some good music being made but OMG, there's a lot of crap being foisted upon us as well. And the kids seem to love it. Flog the lot of 'em I say...          :Hmmmph:  

I think you'd have more luck campainging for real ale in music houses, to be honest Route65... And I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that either! :sad0143::character00274:

It is what it 'is', I'm afraid :mad0235:

Bring back Sally's & Ezy, that's all I can say.

You should be able to throw some Goo Goo Muck around at (Hot) Fever on Soi VC......  

Apologies!

No need to apologize ..... a bit more Cramps and the Pattaya bars would be rocking .

These bar owners just ain't grasped it yet 

Josh plays music more suited to the customers in Baby Boom Agogo, and at a reasonable decibel level - you can actually hear what your ladyboy is saying.

Good point Quietguy and good to see you around these parts again. :biggrin:   I know Pdogg in particular is partial to the sounds Josh plays as they give him a real party buzz.  Actual songs at a sensible volume.

The problem in this approach is that "good" in terms of music is  totally subjective. And what may make route 65 (is the change in name to do with log on problems or an attempt to appear younger? We demand to know!) sit and purr with contentment may well send me running out into the night screaming. Particularly since his choice in music may well include anything with an anti-Rangers rant, regardless of musical quality.

Since it is subjective, bars would find it difficult to choose a selection that will attract all of their potential customer base and thus give up, playing music that the girls like (and keep in mind that the girls are there all the time and mostly bored silly - playing music that they do not like may well increase their propensity to quit). And this, bearing in mind that the girls are both young and from a different culture, is usually stuff I don't like

However, my issue is not with the content but with volume. If it is played at a normal level, almost regardless of what it is, I can tune it out. If too loud, then I can't. Nor can I talk to my mates or the girls so unless it is from that very small canon of work that I actually can sit and listen to, I leave the bar. In my view, getting bars to play music at a sensible level would be much more of a inclusive crusade....

It's one of the great advantage of the Philippines - you rarely find the girls in the bars, so it is easy find a place to talk and relax. The disadvantage is of course, having talked with them in English and in an environment in which you can hear what they say, you can understand them!

• Upvote 2