The Taste of a Holiday/Vacation

While we all have our favourite places and faces when in SE Asia that make us feel good and reassure us we are abroad, there are also certain tastes that say " I am on holiday/vacation."  For most guys i reckon it's probably a dish that you rarely if every have at home, but the moment you taste it in SEA you know you are on a trip.  

for me, it's a drink, and for those that know me it may be a surprise to know it's a Pina Colada.  I never ever drink it at home, but it's a throw back to my early holidays in Spain and Greece when i first tired it and it's something that has endured over the years.  I may have a beer anywhere and think "yeah nice cold beer." but i drink that at home most times, so when it comes to feeling like i am somewhere exotic it has to be an old PC.  The taste instantly tells me i am "not in Kansas anymore" .as a famous bar owner used to say. :biggrin:

So gents what food/drink tells you that you are a long way from home? 

The one thing that hits me when I am back in LOS is the first time I have my nostrils assailed by the smell of coriander. I know I can buy it here at home but it is so much stronger in LOS & when they start to pound the root with their mortar & pestle, it gives out a fragrance that screams of Thailand.

I could go on about the other spices I love as well - the frying of garlic, ginger, lemon grass, galangal, chili, etc but it is coriander that does it for me. 

As for food, there's so many favourites but if I had to single out a dish it would be larb mu. And late night plates of Pad Kaprow Mu washed down with cold beer to extinguish the chili are fond memories.

I with Paccie here. I just love Pad Krapow Mu or Kai medium spicy with lots of Thai basil. My favourite is at the Beer Garden in Bangkok. Had my first taste of that years ago with Trenton and always go back there for it. Yummy and almost as good as ladyboy kaprow cock. 

When i hit Pattaya i crave for mu waan & khao neeow.

I'm with BB & Paccie as well - love sipping a Pina Colada watching the sun set in Krabi.

When in Korea i love the smell & taste of the hot spicy ddeokbokki cooking in the street stalls.