Thailand Now Has 3G

pdogg

I was told that to get the new faster 3G on AIS that I'd have to register by dialing *988 and then

giving my passport number..

I did that and they said that I'd get an SMS when it was online... I still haven't gotten the SMS..

• Upvote 1

True Move becomes the first mobile company to launch 4G service in Thailand, targeting to have at least 2,000 base stations by the end of this year.

The company’s executives said at a press conference on Wednesday that Internet speed in the first phase would be 4-5 times faster than the 3G service network’s. Within 2013, the service coverge will be extended to cover Bangkok city centres like Siam Square, Silom and Sathorn and 15 key provinces. 

On the side, the company is expanding its 3G service. More base stations will be established this year, to boost the number to 21,000 at the end of this year. At present, the service - True Move H - is assistend by 13,000 base stations in 77 provinces. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/True-Move-launches-4G-service-30205669.html

I was told that to get the new faster 3G on AIS that I'd have to register by dialing *988 and then

giving my passport number..

I did that and they said that I'd get an SMS when it was online... I still haven't gotten the SMS..

I don't remember the SMS saying "passport."  And unfortunately, I no longer have the message.  I think I just sent an SMS with the code they sent and my mobile number.

Just go to an AIS shop, and they'll sort it for you.  Or call their service hotline; AIS phone support is pretty good.

My AIS account got upgraded a few days ago.  I don't notice any increase is speed, but the coverage does indeed seem better.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Guest JustSumGai

BOUT DAMN TIME. I been happily using Metfone for the last few years in Cambodia. It's now stuffed as it's Thai owners owe Metfone emplyees around 4 million in back pay and they pulled out. Hopefully 3G works as well in Thailand as i've done emailing on the bus to PP and never been in an area I could not get online. Hopefully the mountains of Loei won't block it. 

• 2 months later...
Guest JustSumGai

thanks BB.  I've noticed them having a good rep in the past on regular connections. Not so much with True. What I need to know is where coverage is good and such.  Loei is a mystery to most. A guy I talked with up there said he had it and it worked over the area well. Now...if I can JUST find out WHO he was, he knew me, called me by name. Was visiting my Thai brother who was not there. So I'll have to drag out Google translate and go into more detail as Sone was acting like he had no idea who this guy was. I'm just figuring if this is news, my chances are good, I'll be moving around a bit this time from Patts to Bkk to Khon Kaen and Loei, I'd LIKE to settle with one that works all those places, am NOT fond of having to buy multiple dongles.

• 1 month later...
Guest JustSumGai

very good, we'll see if I can get online surrounded on three sides by rubber trees :D

I'll be touchin down around Nov 15. DELTA stepped up and made my day with $1315 flights after hovering around 1500 to 1600+. That's cheaper by over 100 dollars than the 2012 and 2011 trips I made. NOW, if the baht will just go up to say 33 I'll be very happy indeed. Comin to Pattaya after a few days in Bkk. You gonna be there? Lemme go find the meet up section or whatever it's called. Ought to be a calender with notations on who's comin in when and where. DAMN SAD to have to miss the volleyball tho.

AIS upgraded their network and pricing recently. It now costs about 450baht a month for unlimited data out of which the first 2GB are at the highest speed (not sure what flavor of 3G it is) and after that you get knocked back to EDGE. My speed test tonight showed really good speed but I have to admit that it caught me by surprise because browsing over 3g here is still not comparable with what you get back home

post-1012-0-03649300-1382194437_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1