Getting to Hua Hin from Pattaya

Rickshaw

Getting to Hua Hin

I am sure that there are threads about HH, but the search function returns nothing. If the moderators want to put this under another thread, I have no problem with that.

After coming here many times over the past few years, I finally decided to go to Hua Hin, about which I had heard many things.

The options for getting to and from HH appear to be roughly as follows:

1. private taxi - I found a couple of companies costing around 2700 baht each way

2. Minibus to Bangkok, drop off and find new bus at Victory Monument. Cheap, slow and the idea of being crammed in a bus with various nationalities for a prolonged period did not appeal.

3. The Yellow Bus (www.iloveyellowbus.com) runs a route from Rayong to Koh Samui including the Pattaya to HH segment. It runs three times a day in each direction, leaving Pattaya at 15.45,17.45
and 19.45, taking about 5 hours to get to HH (meaning that you arrive in the dark). Unfortunately, the return is not so convenient with buses departing at 23.30,00.30 and 02.30 arriving in Pattaya at highly inconvenient times. The cost of a normal ticket each way is 277 baht or 971 if you go VIP. And you have to get to the bus station. But people say that it is a very good service.

4. For a bit extra - actually, almost twice as much - you can go Bell Bus to the airport and another from the airport to HH. It has the advantage of pick up at your hotel in Pattaya and an hour or more break at the airport at lunch time so you can get lunch, relieve yourself and walk about
a bit. Bell have changed their booking system to one where you pay on-line  with a credit card and pick the seat that you want which is better than the old system of scrambling for a seat on the shady side of the bus. I took this option and the bus from the airport to HH was very good with a 2 1 configuration so I was able to be comfortable without a neighbour spilling over into my seat. Even the Pattaya - airport bus has been replaced with a newer bus. The timings are longer than the yellow bus with door to HH bus station (they drop you at the bus station or at a junction some 20 kms out of town) took about 7 hours including the time at the airport.

HH is a typical Thai linear town i.e. it consists of a block or two either side of the main highway, but stretches about 6 or 7 kilometres in length. The bus station is around 3 kms away from the town centre and a taxi costs 150 baht to go there (it appears to be a standard fixed price, but there may be room for negotiation or just walking up the road until a taxi stops for you).

The nightlife

This is just two blocks in size (you can literally walk around it in 5 minutes) between the Hilton Hotel and the main road in the city centre.If your hotel is some distance away, you will end up paying for a taxi each way and I suspect that the taxi drivers will take advantage of the time, distance, your companion and your state of sobriety to drive a hard bargain when it is time to go back.

It seems to be the place where bar girls go just before they retire. A few, very few, acceptable ones, but regretfully (for I am not in the first flush of youth myself), they looked, and were, old. Having said that, their clientele was also old so maybe the differential between girl and customer was the same as in Pattaya / Phuket / Bangkok. There are a few bars with LBs and I found one young lady who was an absolute cracker and with whom I spent my three nights there, but I don't think that HH is a place that you go for mongering, more of a place where you would take your own for a bit of a respite from Pattaya.

Do I regret going? No, but being that I am not a beach person, had I not found my little friend, I would have considered it a bit of a wasted trip. Would I go again? Probably not, unless it was to one of the high end resorts out of town where I would bring my own high end girl for some low end fun.

• Upvote 2

There was a minibus direct from Pattaya to HH I caught August last year Leaves from Pattaya Tai (south) Soi 11 I think.

Quite a few each day and left on time with only 6 or so people.

• Upvote 1

There was a minibus direct from Pattaya to HH I caught August last year Leaves from Pattaya Tai (south) Soi 11 I think.

Quite a few each day and left on time with only 6 or so people.

Thanks for the info Pigsy and welcome to LadyboyReview, good to have you here with us.  I have been told that some of the direct mine buses go through Bkk and are no faster than the ones that change over at Victory Monument.  There was a direct bus from HH to Pattaya, but from own experience this can be a bit hit and miss regarding if it goes through Bkk or not

I was wondering where you had gone missing to the last few days Rick.  As you say HH is not a mongering destination, man I hate that word, and if you are not a beach bum, man I love those words, then maybe it's not ones first choice.  But for a change of pace, and some great sea food it's worth a few days if you have time to spare.

By the way Route67 tipped me off to an alternative option to get there from Patts.  Take the hourly airport bus from Jomtien, change at the airport and take the one heading to HH.

http://www.airportpattayabus.com/2012/pattaya.html

http://www.airportpattayabus.com/2012/suvarnahbumi.html

I took the Bell Bus yesterday. It really is nice and the shocks are a hell of a lot better than the public bus! But the road still bounces one around a bit even in the nice new bus. A visit to the bathroom in the rear was a bit like a carnival ride. :biggrin:

A local that was returning after some time told me it would be 100 baht to get a ride from the bus station even after I passed on the info from Rick. It was, of course, 150 baht. Let's see, a taxi from Sukhumvit Soi 8 to Swampy was 209 baht + 70 toll. A 3km ride in Hua Hin was 150 baht. Oh well...

Closed down Caddyshack 2 around 5:30 AM or so. Fell asleep just before the Super Bowl started.