Tina Turner Gives Up US Citizenship

I read a couple of articles about Tina Turner RENOUNCING her US citizenship to become a Swiss citizen.  Now I know she has been involved with a german guy for years and has been living in Switzerand.  I understand that and I hope she is happy and Switzerland is a beautiful place to live.  Years ago I was involved with a sweet Swiss girl over there.  If I were ready to settle down, I could be living over there with a couple of kids.  But my life didnt work out that way.

I have read a couple of articles on the net and not one of them gets down to the crux of the matter.  I think there is only on real reason why she would give up her American citizenship and nobody has talked about that.  I think its a very interesting topic for discussion but it seems asour media doesnt wish to address the real reason behind Tina's move.

If you havent figured out what I am getting at, I will spell it out in one word-TAXES.  I think thats the only reason  can figure out for her not choosing to have dual citizenship..........

If you are assuming it has to do with the recent income tax increase on US taxpayers earning more than $450,000 a year - I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion.

Switzerland has an income tax treaty with the USA, so any taxes Tina Turner would have paid to Switzerland as a resident, would be counted towards any US taxes. I am not tax expert, but I think there may be other reasons why Tina Turner gave up her US citizenship. Even with the coming increases for high earning US citizens, it is quite low compared to many European countries - France being a good example, and the UK being another.

I guess I didn't make it clear - she didn't have to give up her dual citizenship to avoid US taxes. Switzerland allows US citizens resident in their country to get credit for taxes paid to them, while the resident is earning income there (as per the tax treaty). There is likely another reason besides taxes she gave up US citizenship.

Well, the Swiss take rate is quite a bit lower than the US tax rate so would that mean she would end up paying the difference??  If thats the case, she would be, in effect, paying US taxes.  It seems to me that that she will be saving significant coin by doing this.  Lets not even mention the "death tax".

One of my points was that none of the reports I have read mentioned this fact at all.  I just think thats curious....

Well...hopefully, she has other motivations besides simply saving tax money. But my opinion is that if she is simply avoiding Taxes she is a traitor, and let the Swiss have her..."What's love go to do with it!". Everything she has is thanks to the USA.  Think if she was born in China where there is no effective copyright protection and enforcement she would have all that "coin"...I think not.

But, I hope her real motivation is that she just wants to have a happy life with her man in Switzerland.

No matter what it always seems to revolve around 1 thing ...

$