The world's most dangerous drug may surprise you

JaiDee

"Lips that touch liquor will never touch mine"             :biggrin: 

Yeah, right. What a ridiculous way to live your life.

I am no prude & enjoy a glass of wine (or beer) as much as the next man, but I am honestly surprised how much some people drink.  It is a curse for some people & a blessing for others.

I just came across this article online. In my experience it is not surprising at all. And "northern beaches" refers to an upmarket section of Sydney.

Behind the healthy and wealthy facade of the northern beaches lies a secret problem: alcohol.

For the second year in a row, a Fairfax Media analysis of health statistics has found residents of some of the northern suburbs are the healthiest when it comes to everything but alcohol use.

Hospitalisations linked to alcohol use were highest in the wealthiest parts of Sydney, with Manly having a higher rate than any other local government area for the second year in a row, and Sydney, Mosman, Hunters Hill and North Sydney were not far behind.

The figures, from Health Statistics NSW, show the problem is getting worse. In all but Hunters Hill the rate of hospitalisations increased between 2009 and 2011.

I don't like liquor at all and abstain from it for about 330 days per year;  the only time I drink is in a social setting such as a beach party or if going to a bar with friends.  Never at home; don't like the taste and don't like the feeling.

That's not to say I don't like a couple other things on the list; after all, the list comes from a medical marijuana website! I also love how my favorite intoxicant of all time comes in dead last as far as being harmful; which sounds about right.

But as always I have no problem if OTHER people want to drink, or smoke butts, or even do cocaine; as long as they don't bother me I don't care what they do.

Never liked LSD, haven't even tried it since Uni.

But mushrooms are very mild by comparison and quite fun......there are 2 beach bars where I used to live where they sell 'shroom shakes for 500B, I would oftentimes buy 2 over a 3 hour period and have a ball.  And when you drink those, you only need water; in fact alcohol, as a depressant,  would completely ruin the buzz.

So you spend 1000 baht, have LOTS of fun for 7 or 8 hours, and no worries because the bars which sell them pay off the cops, so nothing is illegal. Then you go to bed and wake up with no hangover.  IMO it's a great thing and not addictive or dangerous in any way.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how long it will be before Nanny states like the UK, (and probably USA) ban alcohol totally. I say this as a when, not an if, because I truly believe this is the direction our governmental guardians would like to take. Especially the holier than thou bible thumper type politicians.

We are already seeing minimum prices being applied to sales of alcohol in the UK, but of course the reason is that it is 'for our own good'. Will this happen and will it happen in our lifetime, who knows,but one thing is for sure, anything that people enjoy and that brightens up what can sometimes be an otherwise miserable life, must be bad for us, so should be made illegal and banned immediately. In ten years time maybe 'visiitng Thailand' will make the most dangerous drug charts.

I dread the day that happens in the UK, as Dundalk will be full of drunken Nordies. On the upside it would make things very interesting. I could see myself bootlegging liquor across the border. They would obviously have to have check points looking for bootleggers. I would smuggle the little mini bottles of spirits one bottle at a time. Might......stretch to two bottles if I ever met Nancy.

I wonder how long it will be before Nanny states like the UK, (and probably USA) ban alcohol totally. I say this as a when, not an if, because I truly believe this is the direction our governmental guardians would like to take.

We tried it once already in Yankville a couple years back...It didn't work...Canadians just laughed at us and got rich selling us black-market booze...

In the little town in Arizona where I live we got us a drive-thru liquor store...That's a fact Jack...Just like ordering a burger at McD's...Ain't no need to climb out of your car to get some booze...And it's right down the street from the police station...Go figure...

In the little town in Arizona where I live we got us a drive-thru liquor store...That's a fact Jack...Just like ordering a burger at McD's...Ain't no need to climb out of your car to get some booze...And it's right down the street from the police station...Go figure...

Amateurs. In Ireland we have a thing called Ring-A-Drink that will deliver booze to your door.

I wonder how long it will be before Nanny states like the UK, (and probably USA) ban alcohol totally.

Prohibition? Elliot Ness? Bootlegged liquor? Speakeasy's? None of these terms ring a bell? The USA has been there & done that. They won't repeat that mistake while they can still remember how much worse things were when they did ban alcohol.

We are already seeing minimum prices being applied to sales of alcohol in the UK, but of course the reason is that it is 'for our own good'.

There's a push on here to introduce minimum prices for alcohol. It won't affect me & I support it. I don't normally stray from my free market principles but with so many school kids able to access cheap drinks, to help minimise the harm, I do think it has to be done. 

Goody two-shoes....    ME!!        :biggrin: 

I thought Americans pioneered drive-through everything. Your post makes it sound like this is something quite revolutionary. May I ask how long have drive-thru liquor stores been open in the US? I can barely remember a time when they weren't operating from every hotel in Oz. Liquor stores don't have them, or none in these parts, but hotels nearly all have them. 

I truly don't know how long they have been here Paccie...But it's not an everyday occurrence to see one...In fact over the years I can't say that I've actually seen more than 2 or 3 drive-thru liquor stores...And I've seen a lot of years...

In fact, there are fewer and fewer small liquor stores every day...We have the very large liquor chains...Large warehouse type stores...Liquor Barn...BevMore...And we have convenience stores...such as 7-Eleven, and many many many others...usually with gas pumps...Give your car a drink and go in and buy yourself a drink...They usually only sell wine and beer...Last I heard you can get drunk on wine and beer...

On the other hand, I buy almost all my wine, beer and spirits at the grocery store...When I buy my bread and my broccoli I also buy my Bacardi and my Bordeaux...So there ya go...

I truly don't know how long they have been here Paccie...But it's not an everyday occurrence to see one...In fact over the years I can't say that I've actually seen more than 2 or 3 drive-thru liquor stores...And I've seen a lot of years...

2 or 3!!         :shok: 

That does surprise me. Maybe there are local council ordinances that effectively limit them. Only takes a few wowsers on the council & the best laid plans go up in smoke.

In fact, there are fewer and fewer small liquor stores every day...We have the very large liquor chains...Large warehouse type stores...

Category killers! We have 'em here. The only way the owner-operated bottle shops survive is by joining large national buying groups that deliver them the buying power & the marketing of the big guys. I would suspect some of the chains you have there operate the same way.

On the other hand, I buy almost all my wine, beer and spirits at the grocery store...When I buy my bread and my broccoli I also buy my Bacardi and my Bordeaux...So there ya go...

Our two major supermarkets also sell the largest amount of alcohol in Australia. They only sell them from some of their food outlets & then they are in a separate but attached store. I don't know if other states allow beer to be sold alongside milk.

On the subject, neither of the two majors were on the ball when it came to online selling. Someone started winemarket.com.au & were selling so much alcohol that Woolworths bought them for a reported 600 million dollars. That's a lot of money to outlay for a mailing list. 

wow, drive-thru liquor stores!

never heard of that, we don't have them around here......but we do have state-run liquor stores right off the highway, literally drive and and drive out; which I always found strange, because....after all......we aren't supposed to drink and drive! These places and especially drive-thru's make it so tempting and easy.

Prohibition? Elliot Ness? Bootlegged liquor? Speakeasy's? None of these terms ring a bell? The USA has been there & done that. They won't repeat that mistake while they can still remember how much worse things were when they did ban alcohol.

There's a push on here to introduce minimum prices for alcohol. It won't affect me & I support it. I don't normally stray from my free market principles but with so many school kids able to access cheap drinks, to help minimise the harm, I do think it has to be done. 

Goody two-shoes....    ME!!        :biggrin: 

I thought Americans pioneered drive-through everything. Your post makes it sound like this is something quite revolutionary. May I ask how long have drive-thru liquor stores been open in the US? I can barely remember a time when they weren't operating from every hotel in Oz. Liquor stores don't have them, or none in these parts, but hotels nearly all have them. 

You are probably the only person here who can personally remember when the US passed the Volstead Act    :db:    Well, maybe Dr Kahuna does too.  :drinks:     :biggrin:

If someone said to you "Weed is only completely legal in one place in the whole world"  would you ever guess that place would be North Korea??

How come Thailand ain't on the list?   Didn't see Andorra either...Maybe they Jamaica Mistaka....

What it fails to tell you about North Korea is that while ganja is legal, matches and cigarette paper are illegal...

So there you go...