The "I am not in Thailand right now because..." thread

JaiDee

Hoot, the GBP is at it's lowest against the THB that I can remember. Some guys who have been around the scene longer may remember it being worse at some point, but I doubt it was much worse than it is now. I remember first time going to LOS with brother Slim, back in October 2005, we were getting 73 THB the the Pound, great days indeed. And to be fair, although my memory isn't that great, I recall the airfare prices not being too greatly different from where they are today, provided you shop around.

Good idea about the Guest House vs hotel Brother Hoot. For years and too many trips to recall, Brother Slim and I stayed in hotels, usually the Areca, PBR or August Suites, at an average rate of abou 1200 THB per night. A few years ago, P'Dogg and BB suggested staying Condos, as we mentioned the our budget was tightening and we were looking at areas to cut back. For the last 5 trips we have now stayed in Yensabai Condo (thanks PD), excellent rooms, great location and only 400 baht a night. That makes a huge difference over 17 or 18 nights.

£ against baht

Considering the circumstances in Europe now, 43baht to £ is the bright side of what it could drop to.

The worst case scenerio is around 32 baht if the economy really takes a plunge and the Govt keep printing money as is likely. What i am saying is that the range to 32 baht to a £ is realistic where as 2006 it would have been a smaller range

Of course no one knows for sure but the markets would not be that surprised as if this happened today whereas in 2006 they would have been shocked

An un educated guess would put me rating the £ at 38 baht by end May and i hope im wrong of course.

The wealth is gradually moving East and South and away from the West and all that goes with it

In the long run we are all fucked in the EU.. the USA will start reshoring manufacturing in the longer term and offset the wealth drift to some extent so maybe thay have some hope

• Upvote 1