Tsunami Hits Japan

DownLoLarry

Thanks for the concern, brother.

Yeah, it hit north of us, but we certainly felt it. I actually felt queasy from it (got a bit upset with myself about that, but it really is an unsettling experience) -- didn't help that I was pretty high up in a building at the time...

Sure hope the tsunamis die out before making land elsewhere...

I have been on Skype all morning with a friend in Tokyo. She lives on the 56th floor of Tokyo Towers and her building was bending throughout the earthquake like a waving wand. She said it was the most frightening thing she has ever experienced. Extremely disconcerting and unnerving. It is impossible to phone either her home or cell phone. Cell towers are down. She is now concerned with water and food shortages. She is a nervous wreak and I just convinced her to try to sleep. Naturally she is frightened it will happen again.

This quake (8.9) is the worst in Japan's recorded history and some seismologists are predicting a bigger one within the month. Some are blaming it on the lunar perigee which is when the moon is closest to us resulting in more gravitational pull on earth. This will occur during the next full moon, March 19. Many believe this causes more seismic and volcanic activity. Let's hope they are wrong.

I have been on Skype all morning with a friend in Tokyo.

:D

I never knew I had so many friends as I do today (except when I was living in Manhattan on September 11, 2001). It's the one thing we've all been able to laugh at here today.

I've never been so glad not to be a member of Facebook . . .

Today there's also lots of talk from more restrained commentators

I was at the gym yesterday on the elliptical machine and nearly fell off when on the TV screen they cut from footage of the disaster back to the studio, and there are the commentators -- a man and a woman -- in their suits behind the desk... wearing matching hardhats.

Only in Japan...

I've been seeing some of the typically colorful comments being posted on Tagged.com encouraging people to pray for Japan. I wonder if that would do any good, when I'm not convinced there is any proof one way or the other of a supreme being dispensing justice to all mankind. I guess it makes the people sending the comments to all their Tagged friends feel that they are doing their small part to help. Probably 90% of them wouldn't pray on a regular basis anyway though. A little is better than nothing I guess is what they think, if one actually believes there is a heavenly host to hear them.

There is an old saying, there are no atheists in a foxhole. I don't know about that, but like my dad told me, the guys who weren't the religious types, such as him, would still be praying to ol' Lady Luck anyway, when there were 50mm rounds from "knee mortars" going off all around them and 6.5 and 7.7 Jap bullets whistling a foot or so over their heads. Glad I wasn't on Luzon in 1945.

Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.

It's never good to be a name dropper. Bobby Duvall told me that.

• Upvote 1

Prayer and it's first cousin Meditation has very little downside IMO. Sending out telepathic good vibes is not inherently unreasonable.

Seems lots of people evacuating Tokyo and headed on the train to Osaka. Lets hope for the best, which is kind of like praying, for the newhalfs, gaijins, and of course all the Japanese people.

I have a very close friend in Tokyo whom I've been communicating with a number of times daily. She is close to the government and they have told her the meltdown will probably happen tonight. They are keeping the information low-key as to not start a panic. She is trying to get her and her family out but it is difficult. Airports are swamped and gas lines are long. I offered her to come to Canada and stay with me but getting a flight out is tough. I checked with Air Canada and they have space on both their daily flights to Toronto and Vancouver but airlines being their usual compassionate and charitable selves are charging outrageous prices per seat.

So whatever your religion or belief, a prayer for those in need cannot do any harm.