Unusual Deaths - Downtown Inn Chiang Mai

Some unusual deaths in the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai.

An elderly Brit couple both died in their room from heart attacks. Room 423.

A couple days later a 23 year old New Zealand took ill in Room 516 and died in the hospital. Three of her mates were also seriously ill.

And a Thai tour guide's boday was found in the bathroom of Room 518, right next door to the New Zealand crew.

Thai authorities say the multiple deaths are just a "coincidence".

Some unusual deaths in the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai.

An elderly Brit couple both died in their room from heart attacks. Room 423.

A couple days later a 23 year old New Zealand took ill in Room 516 and died in the hospital. Three of her mates were also seriously ill.

And a Thai tour guide's body was found in the bathroom of Room 518, right next door to the New Zealand crew.

Thai authorities say the multiple deaths are just a "coincidence".

It sounds funny, I know the Downtown Inn, it's an OK place & I used to book friends in there before we got all the 'boutiquie' Hotels around here???.. As 'Our Man in Chiang Mai', I'll see what I can 'glean' of this situation?.. Back in a mo

• 2 weeks later...

I still say it's a good place

Hey Lung, do us a favor, and please stay away from that place! Or at least wear a condom! :crazy:

The latest news, Bill Mah is dead:

Bill Mah had been staying at the nearby People’s Place Hotel in Chiang Mai and had used the facilities including swimming pool of the Downtown Inn for which coupons were available in his own hotel lobby.

post-19-024995900 1300639637.jpg

Thanks man!... I've got the message, OK, it's a Shithouse nowdays!

I've known this place for years, but I don't know the ownership... And that could be the problem?

All I can think is that in an age of exclusive under occupied 'boutique' 5 star fancy resorts & all the rest of it here in CMX, the owners of the older & more established, yet failing, hotels are doing whatever they see fit/or can perceivably get away with to cut costs!... Dangerous when you've got a building full of people!

And going on from that, how about the rest of the country when their hotels & guesthouses stop earning money??.. What additives are going in the pool?... What additives are going in the cooling system?... What additives are going into the food & other consumables???

Just look at how so many of these 'Arsehole' Thai & Chinese business men got caught out putting melamine in milk which was for consumption by infants & school children!!??.. These Shithouses' really are serial killers & I'm not kidding!!.. And it's all in the name of remaining 'Hi So' & making money 'Asian stylie'... Fuck any other cunt!..Be whitish yellow, Be slanty eyed, Be rich, Be fat & have a face like a frying pan or an Alaskan Cod with bow legs, Be superior, Wear you trousers just under your armpits, Play air conditioned golf, Be the Man!.. The ultimate rude, crude, unaware Chinese cunt your family always wanted you to be!!.. And don't give a fuck about any other prick who isn't part of the immediate family or the 'New Order'... especially if they're white!

Sorry admin, but every now & again a boil's got to be burst & unfortunately for me the balls in my court right now... So OK, I was wrong about this 'gaff', but it highlights a very real issue... When the cost cutting starts... Our lives could be at stake!??.. Literally!

Sorry about the scare mongering lads, but I think it's best if you take it on board!?.. It was all a bit stressful for me too!.. I'm going to gently masturbate myself to sleep now... Ahhh, that's it... Lovely.... I'm OK now... Ahhhhhhhhhhh

There's a good thread on this at 'Teakdoor" forum. Seems the shithole is owned by the ex mayor of CM, but maybe not so simple - it's part of a chain, investors including an unmentionable r@y@l person.

It is suggested that insecticide poisoning is likely, as it fits the symptoms. So many young western women..being killed? Plus the odd other, to stop it becoming too obvious?

Any bright psychopath would know that there's not much chance of being caught here.

• 1 month later...

Just look at how so many of these 'Arsehole' Thai & Chinese business men got caught out putting melamine in milk which was for consumption by infants & school children!!??.. These Shithouses' really are serial killers & I'm not kidding!!.. And it's all in the name of remaining 'Hi So' & making money 'Asian stylie'... Fuck any other cunt!..Be whitish yellow, Be slanty eyed, Be rich, Be fat & have a face like a frying pan or an Alaskan Cod with bow legs, Be superior, Wear you trousers just under your armpits, Play air conditioned golf, Be the Man!.. The ultimate rude, crude, unaware Chinese cunt your family always wanted you to be!!.. And don't give a fuck about any other prick who isn't part of the immediate family or the 'New Order'... especially if they're white!

I cannot go past this comment without offering my support. As racist & politically incorrect it may sound, it is my experience that there is more truth written here than can be found in any published article written about wealthy Chinese.

And remember the Hi So Thais are Chinese Thais. Thaksin is Chinese Thai, he was born near the border & had to change his name to a Thai name when he wanted to enter politics.

The Thai constitution has been changed in ways that make it hard (I was told "impossible") for non-Chinese Thais to be elected. I don't know any specific details about that, I was told by local Thai business people.

And Lung's comments about not trusting these people to do the right thing when it comes down to a decision between making money for them self or doing the right thing by the average man, such as adding Melamine to make baby milk go further, they will opt for profit every time.

There was never a more blatant case as to their mindset as the Melamine episode in China. Observers in the West were dumbfounded but among the educated Asians, they knew that one of the dirty secrets about how to get rich in Asia had been blown open.

We assume this was an isolated incident & that it could never happen again. This is dangerous thinking, far better to assume the worst because one day it might be you being fed poison because the hotel or the restaurant isn't making enough money to pay for proper ingredients.

I am sorry if this offends any Chinese or other Asian nationalities here on the board, please bear in mind that I was set straight on these matters by Chinese Thais. Good guys, they were just as disgusted as the rest of us.

• Upvote 2

Here's a chilling story that ties in well with this thread.

We would not normally get all this information because the farang being ripped off is invariably killed before they can lodge a complaint.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=389

And do not think this is an isolated incident, I have been assured this stuff is going on all the time. The police & the government actively suppress these bad news stories as being against the national interest.

• Upvote 1

Here's a chilling story that ties in well with this thread.

Good find Paccers! :good:

And a warm welcome to one of the most interesting and provocative posters in Forumland! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Some quotes from the article:

He traced her to Nong Khai, a province of Thailand bordering Laos, where she had gone to live with her boyfriend a ladyboy called ‘Dang’.

Very odd that a GG would ahve a ladyboy boyfriend. :shok:

They include Toby Charnaud, 44, an English farmer, who was beaten to death by his wife’s family, who then placed his body on a barbecue and cut it up and scattered it around Kaeng Krajan National Park in Eastern Thailand

Sweeney Todd, the butcher of Fleet Street? :bbq:

I don't think it's wise for falangs to own property in Thailand. Rent is cheap and there are plenty of furnished apartments. It's good to be able to cut out on a moment's notice IMHO. Much better to keep one's money in cash, investments, or gold.

I'm sure their are exceptions and many farangs successfully own through corporations with dummy board of directors, but it's not for me.

Good to se you here Khun Pacman!!! :drinks:

I cannot go past this comment without offering my support. As racist & politically incorrect it may sound, it is my experience that there is more truth written here than can be found in any published article written about wealthy Chinese. And remember the Hi So Thais are Chinese Thais. Thaksin is Chinese Thai, he was born near the border & had to change his name to a Thai name when he wanted to enter politics.The Thai constitution has been changed in ways that make it hard (I was told "impossible") for non-Chinese Thais to be elected. I don't know any specific details about that, I was told by local Thai business people.And Lung's comments about not trusting these people to do the right thing when it comes down to a decision between making money for them self or doing the right thing by the average man, such as adding Melamine to make baby milk go further, they will opt for profit every time.There was never a more blatant case as to their mindset as the Melamine episode in China. Observers in the West were dumbfounded but among the educated Asians, they knew that one of the dirty secrets about how to get rich in Asia had been blown open.We assume this was an isolated incident & that it could never happen again. This is dangerous thinking, far better to assume the worst because one day it might be you being fed poison because the hotel or the restaurant isn't making enough money to pay for proper ingredients. I am sorry if this offends any Chinese or other Asian nationalities here on the board, please bear in mind that I was set straight on these matters by Chinese Thais. Good guys, they were just as disgusted as the rest of us.

Nice post... Good to see a man stand up!

I'm not usually that racist Pacman (apart from when I’m joking with other FM’s), but in this case I say, "Fuck em"!.. Chinese/Thai Asians have got to be told (especially the good ones)... That's where any awareness has to be spread from, because they won’t listen to us, so if any Asian reads this hopefully they will spread some awareness in some small way & then hopefully the ripples of that awareness will keep radiating out & joining with other ripples until 'good folk' become strong enough both politically & socially to shame the cynical aresholes at the top who carry on poisoning their clients & customers with impunity.

The Thai constitution is there for show & to appease the masses!.. It’s such a shame; usually I would be for any ‘grass roots movement’ such as the 'Red Shirts'... But with that thieving, greedy, little prick Thaskin pulling the strings, NAH!.. BTW, there is a Chinese/Thai Chamber of Commerse... They actually serve more people with vested interests than any constiturion ever would or could in this country!

Regarding Thaskin, you are you are correct, he’s as Chinese as Wonton soup, just take one look at that nasty, milky white, little pudding face of his.

Anyway listen to this for a story of sheer & utter unadulterated greed!.. I’m an avid animal lover & I’ve been into animal charities all my life & I’m still involved even up here in Chiang Mai too, so I take a lot of interest in animal welfare stories & this one is unbelievable... About 7/8 years ago now one of Thaskin’s main cohorts was the ‘Agricultural Minister' (name’s escaping me at the mo), who was right at the very top of the Thai social ladder & in charge of ‘National Parks’ at the time... Well the thing is this, he was actually stopped going across the Thai/Lao boarder with a (wild) tiger cut in half in the boot of his car!!!! This was in the Bangkok Post & BTW, (wild tigers are vastly more desireable & sought after than their farmed counterparts).

The bloke’s a fucking Zillionaire with untold wealth of all descriptions, who’s been given the responsibility of caring for & controlling the National Parks... And he goes out & does something like that, in spite of being incredibly well informed about the dreadful plight of the dwindling numbers of wild tigers left in the region... And what’s more after the first report absolutely nothing was ever mentioned about this incident again?.. Fuckin’ get your head around that one!.. And now get this... This bloke’s so powerful that he was one of the nasties of the ‘old guard’ from the previous regime that Abasit’s government had to take in, so he’s no doubt still up to his old tricks!!!

My last post may have been flippant & frivolous, but the message was there & I’m so glad that you picked up on it too, same as KenW did also. Thanks for laying it out more eloquently & treating the subject with the gravity it deserves!

My last swipe, it's dangerous enough with regaurd to the cost cutting that has already started here, so what the hell is it going to be like when the balance of power finally tips their way & they start twisting trade agreements so that they can impose their cheap, skimped & tampered with, produce & products on us!??.. Now that frightens the life out of me!.. In spite of out current 'standards & checks', please don't think it won't or can't happen.

Here's a chilling story that ties in well with this thread.We would not normally get all this information because the farang being ripped off is invariably killed before they can lodge a complaint.http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=389And do not think this is an isolated incident, I have been assured this stuff is going on all the time. The police & the government actively suppress these bad news stories as being against the national interest.

This is a really harrowing account!.. But unfortunately, has you say, not so unusual. The most disconcerting thing for me is how a little cartel of people can be brought together like this so easily to perpetrate such a deed... They've all got their fucking noses in the trough together... So much for a Buddhist culture supposedly built up on compassion & wisdom! Getting back to the previous post, it's Chinese Confucianism that rules the roost here with its ethos which is totally hierarchal & takes the onus off of having to have any regard for others.

WTF was this guy doing visiting her in prison?? =@

Nice post... Good to see a man stand up!

I was actually thrilled to read your post. It made such a change from the placatory nonsense that gets written about Hi So Thais. I am sure some of them are nice but so many of them display the worst characteristics of man's inhumanity to man.

And I didn't think you a racist for having the courage to write the truth. I was merely acknowledging how it might sound to some politically sensitive creature who looks for offence in any strident commentary about "race".

Regarding Thaskin, you are you are correct, he’s as Chinese as Wonton soup, just take one look at that nasty, milky white, little pudding face of his.

Oh man, you have been there too long... :acute:

Anyway listen to this for a story of sheer & utter unadulterated greed!

The Minister with the tiger in his car... terrible but with a tiger's penis worth about $1,000,000 on the Chinese black market, what hope do the tigers have?

The bloke’s a fucking Zillionaire with untold wealth of all descriptions, who’s been given the responsibility of caring for & controlling the National Parks... ... This bloke’s so powerful that he was one of the nasties of the ‘old guard’ from the previous regime that Abasit’s government had to take in, so he’s no doubt still up to his old tricks!!!

Using a Ministerial portfolio to enrich oneself is par for the course not just in Thailand but in most all 3rd World countries. A sad fact of life when they are surrounded by untold poverty. Nothing we write here will do a damn thing to change it.

My last swipe, it's dangerous enough with regaurd to the cost cutting that has already started here, so what the hell is it going to be like when the balance of power finally tips their way & they start twisting trade agreements so that they can impose their cheap, skimped & tampered with, produce & products on us!??.. Now that frightens the life out of me!.. In spite of out current 'standards & checks', please don't think it won't or can't happen.

Be afraid, be very afraid!! It is happening today with the most egregious example of it to my knowledge being the flourishing trade in counterfeit pharmaceuticals. They are everywhere in Asia now. The Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya told me last year that there were only a handful of local pharmacies who could be trusted to dispense legitimate medicine.

China released their own figures that almost a million Chinese died last year from not getting their prescribed medication due to all the bogus drugs being sold in China. And they have already appeared on the shelves of Chemists in the UK. This is a massive problem now & all because someone is prepared to enrich themself at the expense of people's lives.

Getting back to the previous post, it's Chinese Confucianism that rules the roost here with its ethos which is totally hierarchal & takes the onus off of having to have any regard for others.

I can't speak for others but I would be delighted if you took the time one day to expound upon this Buddhism versus Confucianism idea. I know I can google it but I am more interested as to how it applies in the real world. The real Thailand that is.

WTF was this guy doing visiting her in prison?? =@

Good question! The guy wrote fairy stories for a living. It sounds like he believes in fairies at the bottom of the garden. In other words, he was very naive. What are the odds his next book will be a horror story?

And a warm welcome to one of the most interesting and provocative posters in Forumland! :clapping:

Thank you for the kind words. I will try not to be annoying... :blush:

Good to see you here Khun Pacman!!! :drinks:

It's good to be here while I am allowed out... :rolleyes:

But seriously, the adventures of Khun PDogg, Brother Lefty & other nefarious types is something I look forward to catching up on.

As well as we think we know someone, we never actually really know what they are thinking.

To most thais we must seem like the dream meal ticket and if for some reason that meal doesnt get served, then a lot of built up resentment will follow.

Best as Pigdogg says - stick to renting and keep your assets out of reach.

Traces of chlorpyrifos, which is used to kill bedbugs but has been banned in other countries, have been found in samples that current affairs television show 60 Minutes had independently tested.

Carter, 23, died and her friends Emma Langlands and Amanda Eliason became gravely ill while on holiday in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

A United Nations scientist, Ron McDowall, said there was a strong likelihood Carter died from excessive exposure to the substance, which causes identical symptoms to those suffered by the trio as well as several other tourists who died after staying at the hotel.

The fact traces of chlorpyrifos were found three months after Carter's death and after the room was cleaned suggested there was a high concentration when she was staying there.

"I think she has been killed by an overzealous sprayer who's been acting on the instructions of the hotel owner to deal with bed bugs," McDowall said.

Even a slight mistake in the dosage of chlorpyrifos, which has been banned for indoor use in many countries, could be lethal, he said.

McDowall checked his theory with other experts from New Zealand and Italy, who supported his belief that Carter was killed by the chemical.

"Their reaction was that it's quite clear that it's chlorpyrifos poisoning... the symptoms are the same, the pathology is the same and the proxy indicates that the chemical was present in the room."

A Thailand police inspector said police were looking into the possibility the tourists were killed by over exposure to pest control chemicals.

Carter's father Richard Carter said it was "good to get an answer" about how his daughter died.

"It's still pretty horrific that they have such low standards that that can happen," he said.

Sarah Carter's mother, Anna Carter, said she hoped action would be taken so other tourists would not die.

How ironic! A Thai hotel owner calls up the Chiang Mai pest control company & he gets all his bugs killed in one go, albeit with a banned toxic chemical.

Compare that experience with a farang hotel owner I know who gets his rooms sprayed with water. He is charged for proper treatment with chemicals but they will not stop trying to cheat him by spraying water.

On the one hand, the Thai guy gets deluxe service & kills a half dozen customers, my friend gets lousy treatment & has to put up with upset customers complaining about bugs.

I must tell him to advise his guests, "at least we didn't kill you". And those Pest sprayers, there's no way they would throw out any chemical they have paid for. It is probably being sold cheap on the black market.

Only in Thailand.

Compare that experience with a farang hotel owner I know who gets his rooms sprayed with water. He is charged for proper treatment with chemicals but they will not stop trying to cheat him by spraying wate

And who might that be :unsure: