Question for math experts

Lefty

You work it from left to right. Since there are no brackets, each "transaction" is handled singly and consecutively.

6-1 = 5

5 x 0 = 0

0 + 2 = 2

2 / 2 = 1

No. dt is wrong. You do not do it that way.

You must do the division and multiplication first before all else.

2/2 = 1

1 X 0 = 0

so it becomes 6 - 0 + 1 =7

(primary school rule for order of operations: brackets, of, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction)

• Upvote 1

267289_425030307553260_1779686994_n.jpg

the obvious (at first) answer appears to be :

only one.

you.

:geek:

for attempting math with a horde of mongers.

:mad0235:

but then as i see more squares chime in with their answers, i've decided to hold off until the thread closes to get a more accurate count--though that "final" number will, at best, be an approximation, because, i'm sure you all well know that

"Disorder increases with time because we measure time in the direction in which disorder increases".

'Nuff said.

:character00218:

In what order would one do the following equation?

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2 = ?

What order? When I was taught maths, everything to the left of the multiplication sign is multiplied by everything to the right.

Which is exactly what PDogg stated, multiplication & division signs take precedence over plus & minus signs. The 2/2 figure is reduced to 1 before starting.

So this would read 5 x 1 = 5.

But if this was done in sequential order, it would be 5 x 0 = 0, then add 1 (2/2) to make a total of 1.

This old chestnut has been around for years & if you google it, almost 5 billion hits comes up.

I understand maths enough to get by but I confess to recently blowing a question in one of those silly quizzes that does the email rounds. They all have a trick in them or a play on words which leads you to arrive at the wrong conclusion. I like quizzes if only to exercise the old brain so I jumped into this one & thought I had aced it.

I didn't!

The question was: if a runner passed the guy in second place just before the finishing line, where does he come in the race?

Answer it in 3 seconds without resorting to fingers & diagrams. GO!

Now if you give it any thought, the answer is easy but I didn't & I was wrong. D'OH!!!

Pacmn, I'm as thick as they come, but believe it or not I'm messing each day with trigonometry and tolerances as low as 0.000001

But love these silly quizzes, I'm trying to find one I've never worked out and my daughter gave it to me, once I find it I will post it, there are 3 answers but working out the right one takes some brain fuck

Based on your post alone, you're obviously not thick. And I do believe you, what earthly reason would I have not to?

Please post that quiz. There aren't many new ones around, at least nothing I have seen. And any new ones are just variations on the originals. Still, they are a good workout for the brain & I always give 'em a go.

BTW, posting online is another way to freshen the brain. I often post something in order to warm up for something I need to write. It helps tune up the syntax, etc.

At what angle does the blue square pass through the red and green square to the right side of picture. And can anyone give me the measure in minutes ?

I don't completely understand your question Lumix. Too much beer for me last night.

But as far a measuring certain angles this is not a regular octagon (as in the UFC) where all sides and angles are equal. Four of the sides each measure 2 units and the other four sides measure 2^(1/2) units (radical 2 units).

PDogg stated, multiplication & division signs take precedence over plus & minus signs.

This old chestnut has been around for years & if you google it, almost 5 billion hits comes up.

At the time of your post pdogg had not posted on the thread. I think you meant as I stated.

EDIT: apologies. pdogg posted in #7, I didn't post until #10. We both said it. I hadn't seen posts 7 and more because I clicked on reply and was taken straight to next page. Just caught up with those posts now.

If it is such an old chestnut and been around for years then why isn't the answer (7) clearly known to everybody who knows it's been googled a squillion times?

Two bits of evidence to back me up:

http://www.algebra.c...ion.644293.html

• Upvote 1