Facebook May Be Disabling Your Account Soon!

I never click on the Facebook links that bar owners and others in this community set up, as it would then show up on my "real" facebook page and my friends and family could easily see that I've been investigating ladyboy profiles, etc.

Many guys use the simple solution of having a separate Facebook profile, with a false identity, that they use when engaged in such behaviors. If you're one of those guys, Facebook says they want to eradicate your 2nd account. Here's the poop.

83 million Facebook accounts are fakes and dupes

By Heather Kelly, CNN

updated 8:11 PM EDT, Thu August 2, 2012

(CNN) -- If you're using a fake name on your Facebook account, maintaining a personal profile for your beloved pet or have a second profile you use just for logging in to other sites, you have one of the 83.09 million fake accounts Facebook wants to disable.

In an updated regulatory filing released Wednesday, the social media company said that 8.7 percent of its 955 million monthly active users worldwide are actually duplicate or false accounts.

"On Facebook we have a really large commitment in general to finding and disabling false accounts," Facebook's chief security officer Joe Sullivan told CNN in a recent interview. "Our entire platform is based on people using their real identities."

Facebook inspires status envy

So what are those 83 million undesired accounts doing? They're a mixture of innocent and malicious, and Facebook has divvied them up into three categories: duplicate accounts, misclassified accounts and "undesirable" accounts.

Duplicate accounts make up 4.8% (45.8 million) of Facebook's total active member tally. According to the network's terms of service, users are not allowed to have more than one Facebook personal account or make accounts on behalf of other people. Parents creating Facebook accounts for their young kids are violating two rules, since people under 13 are not allowed to have Facebook profiles.

Misclassified accounts are personal profiles that have been made for companies, groups or pets. Those types of profiles (22.9 million) are allowed on Facebook, but they need to be created as Pages.

Facebook estimates that 2.4% of its active accounts are these non-human personal accounts. These accounts can be converted into approved pages without losing information. Pets such as Boo, the self-anointed "world's cutest dog," are typically classified as Public Figures.

not a 'short-term bet'

The third group is the smallest -- just 1.5% of all active accounts -- but most troublesome. There are 14.3 million undesirable accounts that Facebook believes have been created specifically for purposes that violate the companies terms, like spamming.

Face it, Facebook: Sometimes you suck

"We believe the percentage of accounts that are duplicate or false is meaningfully lower in developed markets such as the United States or Australia and higher in developing markets such as Indonesia and Turkey," the company said in the filing. The tallies were based on an internal sampling of accounts done by reviewers, and Facebook says the numbers may represent the actual number.

Facebook disables any false accounts it finds, and while it wipes all the information associated with the name from public view, it doesn't delete the account from its servers "for safety and security" reasons. The disabled account goes into a sort of Facebook limbo, where the owner of the account can't get their hands on any of the content -- photos, posts, videos -- not even by requesting a copy of the data, according to Facebook.

If Facebook does shut down your account, it says you can't create a new one without permission from the company.

Call me paranoid, but I'm also worried about the cyber-sleuths connecting my IP address and other digital information and linking up all my disparate accounts. For example I have 3 or 4 different Google Gmail accounts, which I use for various persona - one for my deviant sexual activities (such as this), one for my friends/family/business, one for a girlfriend that I want out of the above loops, and I already forgot the info on the 4th or even why it was created. But I know that behind the scenes in the digital world, it's probably relatively easy for them to tie all these together and pin them to me if they wanted to, and I'm worried that someday they just might do that as part of some "convenience feature" update. Nothing malicious, just a new "feature" that merges all my digitial identities and unmasks me.

Does this sound overly paranoid? Remember - just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

The reckless use of Facebook will come back to haunt us in so many ways in a decade or so. I read a piece about it where the writer compared posting pictures of your children...infants, 6-7 year olds, or teenagers no matter the age, to child abuse. They've not been asked or given permission to have their photos on the internet.

DT, you´re not over paranoid. This complete control Google, Facebook and internet providers have over us, is more serious than we want to acknowledge.

You're absolutely 100% correct seven. Few of us can fathom the poisoning depths of this cyber assault. 10 to 20 years hence there's going to be a lot sorry folk for being so reckless with this cancer called Facebook. None of it will ever go away, evaporate, decompose, go to NeverNeverLand. Everything you post is here forever and then some.

I've created a fb account for myself that is strictly ladyboy oriented, I hope to god they don't nuke that little bit of research for trips, comes in handy. I got pretty sick last year in LOS & using the www brought lbs right to my room even tho I was restricted from leaving it for a week!

I created a new email account just for fb to make it a bit harder to track me down but I'm sure a good detective could break the code & find me, but I really don't give a hoot, tho I am aware that all my professional cohorts & several members of my family all have accounts. I just don't have a legitimate one.

I'm hardly ever on it tho unless a trip to paradise is looming.

Death by Facebook in the LOS. Loss of privacy is indeed dangerous.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/08/04/swede-fatally-stabs-thai-gf’s-facebook-friend/

An apparent love triangle among 18-year-olds resulted in a fatal stabbing in a Sakaew hotel room. The Thai girlfriend of a Swede had befriended a Thai student on Facebook, but the two men battled each other to death when they met.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a rash of burglaries here in Montana - morons were posting about their upcoming vacations on their Fcukbook pages, and "friends" were then burglarizing their homes when they were gone.

A sad variant of that which doesn't involve Fcukbook is the string of funeral burglaries. The criminals watch the obits and funeral notices, then ransack the houses of the next-of-kin during the funeral.

Come on! What are you thinking, that out of the 800,000 million profiles on FB, the 236 people that try to find users of questionable character to expose, you are going to be the one, and your info is so amazing they will report it in the newspaper, on the police weekly incident list, and your family will see it is going to happen?

uum,... so what do you have to hide anyway? :rolleye0012:

DT, I thought you were in the LA area, not the land of cows.

No, I've become so paranoid I move every 3 weeks. They can't catch me if I'm a moving target! :happy0065:

No, seriously - in the past 5 years I've lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area, then Spokane WA, and now Porcupine Tree Montana. But never LALALand.

What I don't get is the pointless drivel so many spout on there, why should I give a shit what someone has just had for dinner?

I use it, but very sparingly, and as someone has already said, I use it more when I have a trip pending, Thai girls and lb's LOVE it! It's a great way for them to drum up business, I was in Thumbs Up my last but one trip and a girl used to work there had 4 different guys in the bar at the same time that she had 'met' thru facebook and had gone to see her!

• Upvote 2

Hahaha.....talk about draught and flood .....bet she had a hard time explaining to 75% of them - or did she run an auction??

"Going once......going twice.....- 4 max 5 hours sold to the scruffy-looking gentleman in the stained wifebeater for 2000THB, no anal and 200THB taxi&foodmoney - and remember...ALL sales are FINAL" ....

A hilarious scenery :-)

• Upvote 1