Cheap charlie

23 hours ago, Rom said:

Hi PG.  That's a nice initiative that will in itself make for an entertaining post.  Many more words occurred to me in the last 5 minutes alone and you may want to add some of them if they fit the scope of your glossary.  cheers R

I think a few of them ae a little bit off topic. The purpose of the list is to explain a newbie how business works. I'll let you post definitions since you proposed the words; 

What's amazing is that I have never read nor heard of the first one. Hopefully, you will explain it well. 
I will just comment one :I never found a definition of cheap charlie, but I read it first in a website or a blog explaining bars in Bangkok. A customer who doesn't want to pay a LD to bargain of a ST with a lady is a cheap charlie, according to what I read more than 15 years ago. I think we can discuss the expression from many points of view. It would be worth creating a thread juist for this word. Later maybe. 

13 hours ago, Soju said:

I don't understand this comment about ST:

Very simply : the first time I read about ST, the website said it was about 1 hour and half i Nana Plaza. I thought that was enough time to f*** a ladyboy twice or thrice. I then noticed during my last but one trip in Thailand that ladyboys thought a ST lasts one hour. Once they restricted the term to one hour, they would take time to have shower, try to bargain money (and even a tip) upfront etc ... Then ST became what I once read as a quicky : take her paints off, make her suck till the guy's cock's hard, f*** and cum. Sad life. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

Cheap Charlie,

Cheap Charlies range from "Value for Money" expats to extreme frugality. A Value for Money expat might go to the movies at Major Cineplex in Pattaya on Wednesdays since the seats are discounted.  7/11 used to sell Chicken Burgers for 20 baht and you could add the condiments.  I met a guy once who told me he would load it up for mayonnaise and at home scrape of the mayo into his jar. He would qualify as an extreme CC.

One type of CC is the balloon chaser who looks for parties at bars to pig out and then shove some food in his pockets or up his ass.  :shok:

Below is the Cheap Charlies reward card valid at both the Buakhao location and on Jomtien Soi 5. Costs 200 baht and everyday selected entrees are just 99 baht, a pretty good deal.

1691062432004.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

In your opinion, what is the origin of the expression [Cheap Charlie] before the 2000s ?

I can answer that one:  the origin was the American GIs during the Viet Nam war who called the viet cong "Charlie" and would call "Cheap Charlie" to their fellow GIs who did not spend freely on women and booze.   Pattaya being an R&R getaway during the Viet Nam war, the term caught on really fast there.  It is also widely used in the PH.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pulci Gorgon said:

Do you think that calling someone a cheap charlie is derogatory ? 

Much of the time it is derogatory.

If talking about yourself, it's a cute way of calling yourself frugal.

If another Cheap Charlie is calling you a Cheap Charlie it's probably descriptive.

If a LDOP calls someone a Cheap Charlie then it is probably derogatory.

One of the most popular restaurants in Pattaya is Cheap Charlie's.   Clever branding getting across that it's inexpensive and good value for money. 

• Like 2