Buying Miles/Points

Pdoggg

I only have experience buying miles through Alaska Airlines which is part of the Oneworld Alliance. I've purchased miles through Alaska Air several times over the years. Once or twice per year, they have sales where you get bonus miles, depending upon how much you purchase. I was essentially able to purchase enough miles to book business class with Cathay Pacific from the States to Thailand for the price of coach. 

• Like 2

I likewise have purchased miles from Alaska Air. Because one can book Cathay Pacific (you have to call Alaska Air, can't do it online) Business class for 100k mile (round trip/return). If I catch a sale on Alaska enough miles for Cathay Business round trip/return can be purchased for ~US$2k with taxes. As I recall Japan Air has some OK deals there (online) also if you can't get Cathay.

United generally sucks when it comes to miles. There one way Business USA/BKK (BKK/USA) is usually 99k miles. Buying miles is not inexpensive. And often if you need to fly to the west coast to catch the trans Pacific flight that flight is Economy and not Business. United has terrible fairs internationally one way (often more expensive than RT/return total). If I use United miles BKK/NRT/DEN I book the outbound trip on another airline. I'm almost at that 99k number now and after I get it I will probably acquire miles on some other airline (probably Alaska).  Sadly United is the only airline that flies NRT/DEN nonstop but it is almost impossible to book with miles. United can get me to BKK in Business on short notice with miles so there are some perks with United if you have the miles.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, Pdoggg said:

Anyone here buy Miles/Points?  Which websites do you use?  Am especially interested in United Mileage Plus or Star Alliance Miles.

I think I've done it only once, on a Middle Eastern airline some years ago, because only a few more miles were needed for booking a reward flight. But I'm not sure if, generally speaking, it makes sense to buy miles at all:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/why-buying-points-and-miles-without-a-bonus-almost-never-makes-sense/

• Like 1