Oil based lube and latex condoms?

xyzzy

It's a pretty well known fact that oil based lubes can deteriorate latex condoms quickly (Google it). I'm curious what is known about the massage oil used in most Thai massage shops? Is it really bad, not so bad, not bad or does anyone really have any idea? It is after all called massage oil.  

• Upvote 1

I'd consider mineral oil aka baby oil a "heavy" oil,

oh look..."Mineral Oil Lubricants Cause Rapid Deterioration of Latex Abstract. As little as sixty seconds' exposure of commerical latex condoms to mineral oil..."

When you say heavy, are you thinking like 90 weight? :)

in the "more than you wanted to know" category maybe

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/5844/does-oil-break-down-condoms

Edited by JustSumGai
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stoolpusher said:

most massage oils are baby oil based with a sent to them and then the coconut oils , I would think they are fine but the heavy oils I think would be bad.

Planned Parenthood says "Using baby oil with a condom will damage the latex of the condom, causing it to break". Seems a bit of an extreme statement that it will actually break instead of being weakened. Although WebMD says the same. Not sure what the palm oil does. Coconut oil is bad but I don't see much specifically about palm oil.

• Upvote 1

If reputable web sites such as Planned Parenthood and Webmd makes such comments about latex condoms and oil based lubricants, it would be best to pay attention. also as JustSumGai posted - even if they don't break, it causes the pores to widen enough to allow HIV to enter.

If you are keen on using oil based lubricants, non-latex condoms are available - but they are more expensive. When you consider your health though - it is something that shouldn't be brushed aside.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rxpharm said:

If you are keen on using oil based lubricants, non-latex condoms are available - but they are more expensive. When you consider your health though - it is something that shouldn't be brushed aside.

I'm not keen on oil based lubricants but it seem to be what most every massage shop is using for lube. I take a small tube of KY but that can still be problematic with all the oil in use if you get a massage before diving into sex. I brought my last massage LB back to my room instead of staying on site.