Pics tell the story...

PANIC

The epiloque...

Thailand land of smile water and courage...seeing all those pics made me really sad but also i realise that Thai people know how to handle disaster in a very different way we Farangs do.

I feel for them admiration and respect,and i am sure that they will also

manage this terrible flooding.

Hound's right, I reckon none of us go to Thailand for the stimulating conversation with the wonderful locals, nor the beaches, temples or other tourist attractions.

Though still working in Hong Kong, I've lived in Mainland China the last 4 years. I went with no preconceptions of Mainland Chinese people, but have developed a deep loathing and contempt for them, based on the disgusting, ignorant and filthy behavior that I've witnessed first hand.

But I'm still here, probably for the same primary reason that almost every male visits Thailand for - cheap and abundantly available sex.

Though still working in Hong Kong, I've lived in Mainland China the last 4 years. I went with no preconceptions of Mainland Chinese people, but have developed a deep loathing and contempt for them, based on the disgusting, ignorant and filthy behavior that I've witnessed first hand.

Can you expand on that? Just really curious to see if some of my hunches and beliefs are correct. I had opportunities to work there that I passed on, based on what I know first-hand, and what people who worked there told me (not all of it was bad). I haven't been to China, but my experience with Chinese people is extensive (including working under Chinese bosses) but it has all been in the West, with both HK Cantonese and Mainland Chinese.

I like them and the culture in many ways, but I do have some prejudices based on various negatives experiences; usually the type of things were you catch people dropping the mask inadvertently. Lots of it boils down that that for the Chinese, if you're not Chinese... you're not Chinese that's all ;)

I did go to China once for a couple of weeks on one of my extended tours of asia and asiatic europe and got a pretty similar conception as Kelly about the Chinese,now I know a few Chinese in Uk and must say they come accross as really nice people but the reality was totally different in mainland China but as I say it was only a couple of weeks so I am not really in a position to judge the whole 1.5billion of them.

I spent 6 months in Hong Kong when it was run by the Uk while serving in the Armed Forces and found the people of Hong Kong , macau and Kowloon really nice and hospitable.

People I know who worked on the Mainland are either enthusiastic or very negative. Based on what I already know (good and bad), I can believe both. I think that it may also depends on the lenght of time people lived there.

D.

Thank you for the photos. I love the ones with the Thai people taking care of their dogs and animals. Not sure that would happen most places.

This is Asia. Not everything is like it appears. Maybe they're rounding up the dogs for food, in case things get really bad :diablo:

Just kidding of course... But am I? :huh:

D.

Can you expand on that? Just really curious to see if some of my hunches and beliefs are correct. I had opportunities to work there that I passed on, based on what I know first-hand, and what people who worked there told me (not all of it was bad). I haven't been to China, but my experience with Chinese people is extensive (including working under Chinese bosses) but it has all been in the West, with both HK Cantonese and Mainland Chinese.

I like them and the culture in many ways, but I do have some prejudices based on various negatives experiences; usually the type of things were you catch people dropping the mask inadvertently. Lots of it boils down that that for the Chinese, if you're not Chinese... you're not Chinese that's all ;)

The rich Chinese can out Jew the Jews when it comes to dealings with money

This is Asia. Not everything is like it appears. Maybe they're rounding up the dogs for food, in case things get really bad :diablo:

Just kidding of course... But am I? :huh:

D.

Being as how Thais were animists before they were Buddhists, and still adhere oftentimes to animist beliefs, in some cases could it be they see dogs as their reincarnated ancestors? I've read before many of them believe Siamese cats are reincarnated former humans. <_<

The rich Chinese can out Jew the Jews when it comes to dealings with money

I agree. I know the Cantonese well and they're better at making money than anyone else on Earth (or at least they're far more numerous than any other group of equal skills); but this in and out of itself is not necessarily a negative trait. I could have used a Cantonese wife in my life, I suppose :)

D.