American Airlines pilot dies on overnight flight

duke007

_85922748_476488818.jpg

A pilot on an overnight flight from Phoenix to Boston had a medical emergency and died, the airline has confirmed.

The American Airlines flight landed safely when the co-pilot took over the controls and diverted the plane to Syracuse, New York.

The airline is "incredibly saddened" and focusing on the pilot's family and colleagues, a spokeswoman said.

Flight 550 left Phoenix before midnight on Sunday and landed on Monday morning.

The pilot appeared ill during the flight, prompting the diversion, said Michelle Mohr, the spokeswoman.

A new crew was sent to Syracuse to fly the passengers to Boston, where they arrived on Monday early afternoon.

There was never a question about whether the flight would be able to land safely, said Ms Mohr.

"We're certainly well qualified to handle situations like these," she said. "That's why you've got more than one pilot in a cockpit."

There were 147 passengers on board

• Upvote 1

(CNN)Medical emergencies are rare, but hardly unprecedented in commercial flights.

It's far less common when they involve the plane's pilot -- and that pilot dies.

That's what happened Monday on an American Airlines flight between Phoenix and Boston.

Captain Michael Johnston, 57, was piloting the plane when he fell ill somewhere en route. The co-pilot landed the jet safely.

Crew members "took extraordinary care of Mike, each other and our customers," airline CEO Doug Parker said in a statement sent to employees.

"We couldn't be more proud of the teamwork this crew showed during an extremely difficult time."

151005144104-american-airlines-pilot-dea

American Airlines pilot dies mid-flight, co-pilot lands 02:17

An autopsy and preliminary toxicology tests "showed that the death was the result of natural diseases," the Onondaga County, New York, medical examiner's office said -- without offering specifics.

Johnston's wife told CNN affiliate KUTV had a double bypass surgery in 2006. She said she was told he likely died of a heart attack.

"Whatever happened in the cockpit, none of us will know," passenger Frank Cacciola told CNN affiliate WCVB.

Cacciola was among the 147 passengers and five crew members aboard Flight 550 when it took off around midnight, heading from the Southwest to the Northeast. Their Airbus A320 plane was being operated by U.S. Airways, which is now part of American.

The pilot fell ill somewhere en route, and the flight was diverted to Syracuse in upstate New York.

"Medical emergency, captain is incapacitated," someone in the cockpit told an air traffic controller, according to audio posted to LiveATC.net. "Request handling for runway."

Those on board knew something was wrong when a woman's "quivering" voice came over the intercom, alerting them the pilot was sick, passenger Peter McSwiggin told WCVB.

According to passenger Julia House, passengers waited for the body to be removed. They made it to Boston after noon, nearly five hours after their scheduled time.

Passengers expressed sadness about what happened and gratitude they arrived safely.

"If it wasn't for the copilot using a cool head," McSwiggin said, "it might have been more disastrous."

Hope the cabin crew is well versed in landing protocol and verifying checklists.

Thats why I am certain they landed with two people in the cockpit.  Pilots dont take a dump without a checklist, its a redundancy.  It might seem simple even silly but thats so there arent any steps skipped!!!!

From what I heard it sounded as if his death was quick.  However I cannot believe that the crew didnt do all they could to save him.  Planes are so packed and small these days I am certain anyone paying any attention in first class would know something was amiss-like the defibrilator going into the cockpit.  That would set off alarm bells, wouldnt it??

I dont know if they left him in his seat or removed him.  I would be curious about that.  It sounds as if they left him in the cockpit somwhere.  The first thing people would ahve done was to take cell phone video.  I am surprised that video hasnt emerged.

Its quite sad but it does happen people pass away on flights.  If you think of how many flights are in the air at any given time, its the law of averages isnt it?

I think this was an overnight or "red eye" flight.  I doubt there would have been deadheaders (crew on duty but not working flying as passengers) or even pass riders (crew flying stand by either to get to work or for pleasure).  This isnt the type of flight that would ahve these types of personnel on them.  I am certain the landing was fairly routine.

• Upvote 1