VPN For Expats

Pdoggg

Many guys use VPNs for various reasons.

One buddy of mine lives in a place where lots of sex sites are banned.  Other guys want to stream sports events. Others want more privacy when downloading torrents . Others just want more privacy in general.

We are now affiliated with a VPN provider. I have no idea how good they are and how fast the download speed.  But if you are shopping for VPNs please check them out.   :hi:

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/347-vpn-for-expats/

I did check them out and tried the FREE service. Well, it's slow, sluggish, and the choices of IP locations offered where limited to 3: Canada (Montreal) , Canada (Saint Quentin QC) and Belgium. Well I wasn't interested in Canada since I live in Canada and the whole point for me to use VPN is to avoid Canada so I can access US HBO and Hulu, etc. And when I tried to link with Belgium it didn't allow me. I tired over and over. Also the free service limits you to 2 GB of usage (nothing). After that they cut me off and started sending notices about upgrading to their paid tiers yada yada yada. Furthermore it totally fucked up my home/office network system when suddenly my wifi printing/scanning to my computer would not longer work. The network was fucked and devices no longer recognized other devices. I spent most of today trying to figure it out. I haven't. And how to uninstall, get rid of, banish Hide.me from my computer? Beyond me to figure out. God knows I've tried. Its not been pleasant and I am still not out of the woods with the mess. 

So it's difficult for me to recommend or endorse this service.  :mad0245:

Sounds like it sucks.

What VPN do you guys recommend?

I downloaded a couple of programs a month ago, Vuze and something like Caliber, a book reader, and went onto Kickass to try to download a book.

Ever since then, many of my google searches redirect to some sort of Yahoo safe search if I am using Firefox.   I uninstalled stuff, deleted some cookies but still get the redirect.  Bot that big a deal but still a pain.

SiamSam - you should try running an anti-virus/anti-malware program to see if that might fix the problem. If not and you are using a version of Windows - you can use system restore, choose a date to restore before you had problems. Hopefully this will fix the issues you are having.

Free VPN services have to get the money from somewhere, so as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true . . .

I am using a paid VPN service while working in the Arabian Gulf region. It works great. I've had only rare problems with it - due to the ISP connectivity in my work country, and not due to their service

If you want a VPN that is reliable and not expensive, click on the link in my sig and you can find information about it on the renewed TLF forum.

SS, I am not very familiar with Mac OS - however a quick search shows there should be something called "Time Machine" that can do something similar to system restore.

I found this on a Mac Forum:

Be sure to back up all your data files before doing this.

Boot up from your install disc and then go to the Utilities menu and choose restore from Time Machine. It will give you a series of dates and you select the one you want... presto!!!

Rx,

My problem was with my home network and in particular the printer/scanner wifi connection to my computer. This was all working fine until I added the VPN and everything went nuts after that. The home net working did not like the VPN and it was confused. I spent the better part of a day trying to remedy. In the end I had to delete/uninstall my printer/scanner software. Even after doing this and reinstalling the network/wifi recognition was still unhappy. I purged my computer of VPN (which was not easy to do and I still don't know if it is gone). In any event I started from scratch, consulted computer forums and redid everything from the bottom up. It seems to be working now and I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues to be trouble free. If not, then I will have to rebuilt from my backup hard drive from a date prior to downloading the VPN nightmare. Hopefully this will not be the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out. Appreciate it. 

HAPPY CANADA DAY.