Songkran Survival Guide

Pdoggg

The first water will probably be thrown on Saturday, April 11th on places like Sois 6, 7, and 8 in Pattaya.

Starting the 13th you're fair game to be doused anywhere building up to a crescendo on the 19th.

Many Thais go upcountry to see family.

Many expats get the hell out of town.

Anyone have any tips as to how to come out of the madness relatively unscathed?

How to survive? RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

On my second trip, having never heard of Songkran, I had planned to arrive in Pattaya on April 15. Fortunately someone warned me and I diverted to Patong Beach for a week where Songkran ends on the 15th. I arrived after dark on the 15th so the water throwing was finished. Since I don't live there I simply make sure I'm not there during Pattaya's extended version of Songkran. If I did live there I would probably go to PP or PI. But some years Easter weekend is during Songkran making predominately Catholic PI problematic.

• Upvote 1

Run away??  Thats the best best I would say.  I would hate that week if I lived in Patts.  A buddy who lives there leaves every year during that week.  I mean if they had certain streets/areas where there were water fights thats cool.  If you could avoid it, thats fine.  But from what I have heard its unavoidable.  You always hear stories of guys going to dinner only to get doused by some minging water.  Not my idea of fun......

• Upvote 1

On my little soi, I saw some young kids testing water guns and a shop on Pattaya Tai had a big display of guns.

Tomorrow April 11th will see some water play on Sois 7 and 8.  Probably Soi 6 too.

But you should be safe riding around town on a baht bus.

Starting the 13th, I don't recommend riding a motobike or carrying around smartphones anywhere in Pattaya.

Any errands, I'd do tomorrow.