Are there too many ladyboy bars & not enough customers?

Stroker

We are in the middle of what has become perhaps the busiest time of the year for ladyboy lovers to be in town.  But does this rising tide lift all boats or are some bars getting more that their fair share of custom while others struggle?  While the incident outside 69 Bar the other night was over a disputed bell ringing is it also a manifestation of tension among some bar owners who feel they may not be getting a fair slice of the cake?

• Upvote 1

I think it's more a case of some of the newer bars become the in bar to go to especially if they have some hot talent, some bars strike the right mix and enjoy a loyal following for quite some time.Whether that is far or not I can't say as I'm not privy to the dynamics of the day to day operations, I'm just a simple punter who visits most bars in his all too short time in town, and wants to make the most of all that's on offer, I guess I am nomadic in that sense, I don't live there so I don't have a favourite, as for me by the time my next trip comes around the atmosphere and girls have shifted around or left, so I think if the bars have something attractive for the punters most of us nomads will eventually visit most of the place around town. for me the attraction is the girls , body type etc the drinks deals don't really worry me as I'm not there for a great deal of time so if I spend a bit extra there it's no biggie.

• Upvote 3

I am looking forward to visiting Lita's and the 69 Bar for the first time as well as no doubt having a few scoops in La Bamba & Sensations again, I keep saying I will go to TJ's but never end up getting there and probably wont next time as Im only in town for 5 nights

Different strokes for different folks and Im sure all the bars are a favourite of some punters, even Hi-Boss :biggrin:

La Bamba has been described recently as a small bar with only eight staffyet it cant be that bad if its still open 7 years on, maybe thats a lot to do with the owners and the ambience of the place  :happy0065: 

I like the variety of the ladyboy bars in Pattaya as it is now, they are also more appealing to me to those in Bangkok, that is just my personal opinion and my choice

As for the question, punters will drink where they are happy and feel appreciated

• Upvote 2

TJs is worth the trip Duke, I think when guys hear the word Naklua they think it's near Chonburi or even further afield. :biggrin:  If anyone enjoyed Sally's bar back in its golden days then I reckon they will feel at home in TJs.

Good point also NIGHTRIDER about in bars, and it must cause more than a bit of envy among those owners whose bars are not perceived as being as in as some others, no matter how much they maintain the opposite in public.  Human nature after all.

Guest JustSumGai

what incident?

I feel like this is a part of the lull I've alluded to. More bars, spread out, makes for fewer punters. Now the girls and the owners feel like we are an endless supply, but I'm sure that's not so. I'd bet even the GG bars are too many. I once heard 20,000 bars in Patters. It's supply well beyond demand. You know how folks think "hey, I know, I'll start a bar, everyone likes to drink" works out. People who want to make a quick buck go for "easy" ways to do it and VERY often totally ignore reality.

So too with the girls. Much easier dolling up and learning how to play guys than taking 4 yr courses on any real trades or careers. Tho I wonder if the girls maybe have more serious motivation to doll up than the average guy has to take motorcycle mechanics classes or HVAC, etc.

• Upvote 1

I once heard 20,000 bars in Patters. It's supply well beyond demand. You know how folks think "hey, I know, I'll start a bar, everyone likes to drink" works out. People who want to make a quick buck go for "easy" ways to do it and VERY often totally ignore reality.

So would you guys take the Over or Under on 20,000 bars?

I think sometimes a farang boyfriend who stays in  Pattaya only 6 weeks a year  pays all the start-up costs for a bar and the Thai lady is pleased if it turns an operating profit as she didn't pay the upfront costs.

Or maybe she can tell the boyfriend times are tough and get him to pay the rent too.

Seems to me that many bars are in the red.

But there are also bars that are moneymakers.  One common theme is a longterm Thai wife who deals with the girls, cops, mafia etc. and a farang husband who brings in the customers.  If they are both good at what they do then you have a successful bar.

• Upvote 1

So would you guys take the Over or Under on 20,000 bars?

I think sometimes a farang boyfriend who stays in  Pattaya only 6 weeks a year  pays all the start-up costs for a bar and the Thai lady is pleased if it turns an operating profit as she didn't pay the upfront costs.

Or maybe she can tell the boyfriend times are tough and get him to pay the rent too.

Seems to me that many bars are in the red.

But there are also bars that are moneymakers.  One common theme is a longterm Thai wife who deals with the girls, cops, mafia etc. and a farang husband who brings in the customers.  If they are both good at what they do then you have a successful bar.

I'd say under, that's a hard call though, I'd like to know how bars there actually were?

Guest JustSumGai

I think I heard that figure on the Blue Sky series on ladyboys. One episode at least covered Pattaya.  Another question would be, does that figure include beer gardens?

I mean if 2000 is a general ballpark figure, and you have 50 people in each, that's 100,000 people drinking in bars. Pattayacity.com says pop there is 300,000 at any given time. Around 200,000 expats/tourists during season. That's the high figure, 50,000 was the low number. 

Now we've all seen the bar one walks into and there is no one but employees, or maybe one or two customers. I've never been to a place that was huge and filled with hundreds of drinkers. Might be such a thing there, dunno.  I'm wondering how many ladyboy bars there are.  One out of 4?  In any event it would be interesting if guys doing posts on Pattaya would mention what the bar was doing, numbers wise. Three times as much staff as customers? One guy nursing a drink?

I guess we'll know somewhat as this season unfolds.  My own belief is IF there were many fewer bars, there would be more guys in each bar and happier owners and girls too. Most guys bar hopping look into an empty place and move on no?

I'm not sure of the exact methodology but I think Pattaya population is undercounted.

Most girls IDs are from their home province even if they have been living in Pattaya for years. 

My guess is that farang on retirement or education visas are not counted either.

As for the bars, I guess the first question is what do we consider Pattaya?

Does the Darkside, the area across Sukumvit count?

How about Naklua?   Jomtien?

I'm not sure of the exact methodology but I think Pattaya population is undercounted.

Most girls IDs are from their home province even if they have been living in Pattaya for years. 

My guess is that farang on retirement or education visas are not counted either.

As for the bars, I guess the first question is what do we consider Pattaya?

Does the Darkside, the area across Sukumvit count?

How about Naklua?   Jomtien?

I've always considered the above as suburbs of Pattaya? don't know if that is correct though?

there will always be up,s and downs between LB bars with girls also moving around between bars as well a lot more these days, and maybe in away there are too many LB Bars these days with guys opening more and more bars, personally I don't mind walking in an empty LB bar infact I prefer it to an over crowded bar, sometimes its nice just to chill be alone with just LB,s to talk too and not BM,s as  i do my chatting with them on these forums :geek:.......The above mentioned bar with one half bringing in the punters and the other half taking care of BIB etc etc works a treat and they milk it for all its worth .... Its a business arrangement these days and works well I think. another bar that would do well if both were on the ground is in soi Buckhao however both are   not in town at the mo, :huh:its great for us with more and more LB bars opening as each bar has a different vide ..... however how long it will continue is anyones guess... Regards Garry <_<

• Upvote 1