United Mileage Plus Explorer Card

pdogg

Just got an invite for this card with a 50k miles bonus ( +10k more if I charge $20k in a year). The other attractive thing about it is that it doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee like my Citi cards ( and it is accepted more internationally unlike my Amex card).

Altho I never got too much into churning credit cards for mileage I have been trading them out every 2-3 years when a offer like this comes along, I'm not getting any loans in the future & my credit is pretty good. Also my Citi cards have current offers for Business Lounge passes on American Air if I spend a certain way, I already got 2 & should get another pair of lounge passes in a few months....

All this is really handy because I'm on a pretty frugal budget the next few years, but these gimmicks will have given me about 575K miles & 4 Admiral club passes even tho' I haven't traveled for business in several years. So I can still escape overseas cheaply if I watch my hotel expenses.

Hey, I look at it that this is free currency being offered, albeit one that will get devalued quickly.

It is the same Chase Visa as the thread title, says it's invitation only for the reciever of this specific mailing offer. See if that's just a marketing gimmick & go to the link here & find out:

unitedexplorercard.com/earn

The general 50K offer for this expired Sept. 30, this "invite only" offer is good till Oct 30. Free first year & $95 (US) each year after.

Good luck!

The other attractive thing about it is that it doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee like my Citi cards ( and it is accepted more internationally unlike my Amex card).

That is a good point. I use mine at Villa Market, Friendship Supermarket and sometime Big C Extra. I don't feel comfortable using it all over the place in Thailand like I do in the US. But haven't had any problem so far at the places listed above.  

Just to follow up on this, today I got an email alerting me to a 70K point bonus from Chase with their Ink Business Plus card. The points can be transfered to United ( & used with their alliance partners), the $95 fee isn't suspended & $5K must be spent in the first 3 months.

Every penny I spend on anything I use my cards, no matter how small, & have an auto transfer from the bank each month pay in full so no late fees or balances carried over. You get a good idea of how much you spend on minor things when you look at your bill each month & it's easy to hit these minimums when everything goes on the card as long as no extra fees apply.

These last 2 offers automatically entitle you to a RT - No. America & Europe, & about 5K miles short of a RT NA to SEAsia.

https://creditcards.chase.com/ink-business-credit-cards/ink-plus-card

My answer -guess- would be no, Chase/JPM is out to sell credit cards and collect the 3% vig on every transaction :)

This is a good site for guys interested in churning credit cards and flying for free. www.milevalue.com

Mods, I in no way benefit from this site. Just a heads up for fellow BMs. Hope its OK to include an address, but if not, no problema :)

It's a good idea to include info that might enable our members to fly to Thailand for free Lance but I don't see an address so please try again.

Xyzzy, About a year after I got my first Chase Unitrd card, they sent me an offer to get the business card so I did. If they ask for a business name put down Xyzzy but the card gets issued in your real name. I don't think they asked for a business name though.

I suppose their idea is if u do have a business by having two cards it makes it easier to keep your business expenses straight.

Me, I'm just a mileage whore and the two cards got me a free trip. Same amount of miles to fly to Bangkok and Bali as it would for just Bangkok so I did both.

I managed to get 3 free trips despite not flying on United too much. I got miles for opening a Fidelity account too.

• 2 weeks later...

Final follow-up to Chase Explorer Card:

Recieved card about 2 weeks after applying, I suspect that it may be only for US residents, as usual, reading the fine print, though unclear if Canada has same offer as well.

Other points worth noting about this is besides the above mentioned offers is also a 10K United mile bonus for any calendar year you charge $25K - I thought my Starwood Amex was good with a 5K mile bonus for $20K charged, but this beats that, but on a different airline. Also 2 annual passes to the United Club, no mention of it having to be in conjunction with a United flight ,nice... ; priority boarding & free first checked bag which seem to offered on all of the airline cards now.

Really with these bonuses & no foreign tansaction fees this could be a keeper. By just meeting the minimums I would get 92K miles at the end of next year, United claims one could get a RT award NA-SEAsia for 80K. Not bad...

Final follow-up to Chase Explorer Card:

Recieved card about 2 weeks after applying, I suspect that it may be only for US residents, as usual, reading the fine print, though unclear if Canada has same offer as well.

Other points worth noting about this is besides the above mentioned offers is also a 10K United mile bonus for any calendar year you charge $25K - I thought my Starwood Amex was good with a 5K mile bonus for $20K charged, but this beats that, but on a different airline. Also 2 annual passes to the United Club, no mention of it having to be in conjunction with a United flight ,nice... ; priority boarding & free first checked bag which seem to offered on all of the airline cards now.

Really with these bonuses & no foreign tansaction fees this could be a keeper. By just meeting the minimums I would get 92K miles at the end of next year, United claims one could get a RT award NA-SEAsia for 80K. Not bad...

I've had this card for a few years. But there is no way I manage to put $25k on in a year. Don't think I even made it when I had a $12k one time charge on the card. The free checked bag is nice but really ties you to United. Any other airline that matches United's price or beats it, except Southwest, loses out price wise because of the free bag. I do like the priority boarding as it means I always have room in the overhead bins when I board on domestic flights. The lounge is OK but the lounges usually only serve snacks. But since my airport is Denver United is the obvious choice as the have many more direct flight to places I need to connect.

One thing I was slightly concerned about is if you book USA to BKK the Narita-BKK leg will be on a partner since United no longer serves that route. You can not select your seat online for the NRT-BKK flight. I would be interesred to know if it's possible to call ANA or Thai and get a seat assignment after booking on United with miles? I don't want to get stuck in the middle in enconomy. 

In recent years I've missed a couple domestic United flights and lost what I paid for the ticket. The change fee was more than what I paid for the ticket. I probably would switch to Southwest if they had more direct flights. And now United flies direct DEN-NRT. Although often at a premium price.  

Southwest, the no extra added charges airline, actually charges $12.50 for Early Bird Check In. If you don't buy it you will likely end up sitting in a middle seat. So unless you like sitting in the middle you will spend $12.50. I'm tired, drifting off topic a bit...  

One thing I was slightly concerned about is if you book USA to BKK the Narita-BKK leg will be on a partner since United no longer serves that route. You can not select your seat online for the NRT-BKK flight. I would be interesred to know if it's possible to call ANA or Thai and get a seat assignment after booking on United with miles? I don't want to get stuck in the middle in enconomy. 

Yes it is. Once you have your booking reference number with United you can call ANA or Thai and ask them to assign a seat. If ANA or Thai cannot trace the ticket with the booking reference you can provide them with the ticket number and that will work. Also you can ask United what the booking reference number is for the Thai or ANA portion of the ticket.

• Upvote 1

Yes it is. Once you have your booking reference number with United you can call ANA or Thai and ask them to assign a seat. If ANA or Thai cannot trace the ticket with the booking reference you can provide them with the ticket number and that will work. Also you can ask United what the booking reference number is for the Thai or ANA portion of the ticket.

Cool, thanks.

Well I think this is a good travel card in general tho the bulk of my miles are in AA (One World) where I am elite (due to lifetime miles accumulated) so that carries some extra perks, but those get more watered down each year, this card bifurcates my focus, but when I buy I buy the cheapest ticket no matter what carrier it is (no Korean airlines tho :( ).

In the past I would buy the cheapest ticket to collect ff miles & also use ff miles to upgrade to business class. Now they have upped the mileage numbers needed & added surcharges so that I have to reconsider each trip: NA - Tokyo/HKG may be worth spending an additional $700 & 50K miles ( I was balking at $500!) since thats minimum 14hrs+ for me & I usually then transfer to LOS or wherever, but AA wants the same amount for NA - EUR!! Thats 5-7 hours away, I can handle coach for that length.

Point being they are devaluing this currency each year & I am more inclined now to just redeem the reward for the whole flight. Last trip to LOS I redeemed for a first class transpacific flight on JAL, it was only about 25k more than the business reward then if I recall & absolutely wonderful! Highly rec at least one time doing it if it is feasible. 

I hear you about getting $25K/yr on the card. If you own a business it's easy, but I just retired & even though I hook up all my bills to the card & every single purchase, I am cutting back now on a lot & that figure may not be possible on my more frugal lifestyle. 

• Upvote 1

I hear you about getting $25K/yr on the card. If you own a business it's easy

Reminds me of what a guy told me a few years ago when I got a new roof put on my house (that was the big expense I mentioned charging to my card). He owned the roofing company and it was apparently pretty good size. He said he purchased $4M to $5M of roofing supplies every year on his United rewards card. His daughter had just flown off to Italy first class for a couple of weeks. Miles to burn...

Those who have been around the Frequent Flyer points game for a while will know about the "Pudding Guy", he's pretty legendary in what has inspired a widespread hobby these days but back in the day he pioneered hacking the FF system when there were just a few FF point hackers.

He figured out during shopping that the FF award bonuses given on some food items actually exceeded the cost of the food (number of soup cans needed to get a free trip to Hawaii cost much less than buying a ticket ) & starting buying in bulk, then pudding cups went on sale & there was a double points promotion for redeeming them within a certain time frame so he borrowed a van & bought every carton of pudding in the county & neighboring counties. His basement, garage & attic was full of pudding cartons for months, his family never want to eat pudding again, he got well over a million miles just for this one promotion & took a tax deduction after donating the food to homeless shelters & food pantries. (There was an Adam Sandler movie where his character was based on this but it became a minor part of the plot.)

• Upvote 1