World Cup Trivia

pdogg

Guest sustra

i think Garrincha won the Cup with Pele in 58 with Pele..as he won 3 world cups if i remember well 58 62 & 70

Uruguay maybe has the smallest population...

The Netherlands playing in orange has something to do with William of Orange, hasn't it?

Not sure why Italy play in blue.

correctamundo brother C....in italy the royal family (now gone) was from the House of Savoy...and their colours were royal blue.....

so.....when Spain play,the players never sing the national anthem......why is that?

Finally....Germany's 2nd (away kit) is green........why is that?

(This is actually a famous urban myth question-most people quote the urban myth in the answer)

Is the Spanish players not singing the national anthem because the Barcelona contingent consider themselves Catalan and don't recognise the national anthem, so the team don't want to cause friction with their team mates, something along those lines??

nope nothing to do with that..............(its a bit of a trick question ...).......it doesnt matter if there are no catalans or Basques in the team.....they dont sing.....but why dont they -5555

Anybody???......The German away kits -green and white......famous urban myth.....any idea?

Yes please :biggrin:

well ,the urban myth usually quoted  as the reason the Germans 2nd kit is green and white is because Ireland were the first team that consented to play them after WW2,and as a memory of this,they don Ireland's colours ......have you heard that before?

its not true actually,switzerland were the first team to play them,and the green and white are the colours of the german football logo....green grass and white markings....

I wish it were true(the urban myth),but it ain't....

• 2 weeks later...

as a matter of interest....anyone know the 4 world cup winners who were born in greater Manchester..?

well nobody's even had a go...i thought the Duke might have got this one........Nobby stiles,Alan Ball and Geoff hurst.....all winners in 1966 of course and Simone Perotta...who won the world cup with italy in 2006....born ashton -under -lyne,gtr manchester