Vitamins and Supplements

pdogg

Any of you guys use Vitamins and Supplements?

If so, which ones?

I've never used them much but I imagine there must be positive effects or nobody would buy them.

Our friends over at Asia Hotel and Travel are now affiliated with a Vitamin and Supplement distributor. I have no idea how competetive the pricing is but noticed they do offer free international shipping and have a promotional discount this weekend.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/81-vitamins-and-supplements/

Some debate about this in the science community as many studies report they are useless but it depends on what type and one would probably need another forum to debate this.

I take Zinc and VitC . force of habit but ZINC does seem to keep the skin healthier than if i dont take it

VitC had some bad press last few years and some reports claim it can feed certain cancers. Of course this is just opinion of studies that have been done and peer reviewed and are by no means conclusive as these things take years to pan out.. just saying

If you eat a good healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg you shouldn't need any vitamin supplements .

Plenty of fresh chili , garlic and ginger is great for your immune system and helps ward off colds etc .

The only supplement I take is an  non odorous garlic capsule every morning .

A good bowl of porridge and a cup of green tea sets me up for the day . 

If you eat a good healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg you shouldn't need any vitamin supplements .

Plenty of fresh chili , garlic and ginger is great for your immune system and helps ward off colds etc .

That's what I figure too.

Our DNA should be set up such that we don't need supplements.

And luckily, I really like garlic and ginger.  But I eat my papaya pok pok with only one chili, my tongue can't handle any more.

Is Vitamin S good for the tongue or only the throat?   :crazy:

No idea why it works but it does (for me at least) and recommended by an expat when I first came to Asia - home of the coldest aircon offices in the world. 

Echinacea Forte - natural herb   for colds and all that stuff.   take 2 when you feel it coming on, 2 when you go to bed or wake up.  Right as rain in 24-36 hours.     Can buy almost any pharmacy that sells vitamins incl Boots in Thailand.  

I was as cynical as anyone but it seriously does work.     

As for the rest of vitamins - just good diet and if feeling run down - a few multi vitamins.  

Jimslim is correct, if your diet has a good variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, your body will get the required amount of vitamins and minerals needed. That is the key - but how many people actually do this? If your diet is lacking, then supplements may help - but don't go overboard, Many years ago there was a megavitamin fad where people were encouraged to take massive doses of vitamins. This proved to be dangerous as fat soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K accumulate in the body and can reach toxic levels.

If you live in a country that has long winters, or your work prevents you from getting much sunlight exposure, it is likely you suffer from a lack of vitamin D. In these situations vitamin D supplementation is a good idea. (around 1000 u/day).

One more thing, it is less expensive to eat fresh fruits and vegetables than it is to buy supplements.