Living The Real Dream

Many guys talk about living the dream and moving to Thailand so that they can be in close proximity to what they consider to be the perfect lifestyle.  But what about all the other places in the world that we may wish to live in.  Surely there is a city/ location that captured your imagination before the chicks with dicks took control of your small brain.

My dream was always to live in Barcelona.  From the first time I visited the city I just loved it.  Being from Ireland it captured my imagination with regards to history, climate and lifestyle.  Eventually I managed to spend a winter living there, and alas the reality did not live up to the dream, does it ever i hear you ask.

So where did/do you guys wish you could live if not in SE Asia.  There must have been an ideal location that captured your mind BLBs. (Before LBs)

When I was a kid I grew up on the beach but I loved to Ski and wanted to do nothing more than cruise the slopes all winter long.  I got into my dream college and moved to the Rocky Mountains where I Skied my self rotten for 8 years (no, I was not in College for all 8 :blink: ) .  Of course getting two dreams so early in life spoiled me for the real world. 

As I got out of college I really wanted to live in Europe. London was my first dream. I didn't really know much about it except from books, television, and the stories my parents told. My father lived there for many years and had visited many different countries.  His stories were probably a large part of my interest and motivation.  I love history and being located where I could strike out and visit so many different countries and cultures really seemed like a dream to me.  I never did manage to get there.

Now days I live in a desert. I'm nowhere near a beach, a mountain, or history of any significance.  I don't really want to live here, but I no longer have a dream place I would like to live.  Kind of depressing when I think about it.

I keep seeing my trips to Thailand getting farther between visits as I go out and explore the rest of the globe. I'd still like to live abroad for a while, but if I can't I'd at least want to go experience it for bit. But then the siren song of the ladyboys seems to keep luring me back to shipwreck on their rocky coast before I make it anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

quote HOOT.....  I love history and being located where I could strike out and visit so many different countries and cultures really seemed like a dream to me.....

I found myself working in Berlin in the early 90's ,after the wall came down.......fascinating place full of recent history....and on the doorstep of the newly emerging ex-communist countries ......i managed to see most of them ...Berlin itself is IMO the greatest city in Europe,anything goes there.....and the Germans ,contrary to what I'd been told ,are mostly a great bunch of people......I'd go back to live there tomorrow if only I'd come up with a plan -55

• Upvote 1

Berlin is a great city for sure Willie.  I always had some great visits to the place.  If it wasn't for the winters and lack of a coastline it would be ideal.  Like you say the recent history is fascinating.  I managed to get myself a nugget of the real wall back in 1992.  There was not much left at that stage, but I found a small stretch and chipped a piece off at the base.

1. Hawaii. Probably Kuaii or Mauii

2. Island in the Caribbean. Unsure which one. Live on my sailboat, a nice little 50 footer. Big enough to tackle serious water, but doable alone, if necessary. Beach, sand, sun, sailing.

3. Cruising the inland waterway on the East Coast of America in the afore-mentioned yacht

4. A deluxe river barge somwhere in Europe.

Common themes seem to be mobility and/or tropical paradise

• Upvote 1

Berlin is a great city for sure Willie.  I always had some great visits to the place.  If it wasn't for the winters and lack of a coastline it would be ideal.  Like you say the recent history is fascinating.  I managed to get myself a nugget of the real wall back in 1992.  There was not much left at that stage, but I found a small stretch and chipped a piece off at the base.

haha...me too BB,i took a hammer to a section of the wall still standing and brought a lump of it home with me....The winters are bleak for sure,but there's a nice "beach" at Wansee and the summers are usually glorious....there's a vibe about the place I found nowhere else......kinda free and sleazy mixed together.....