Ive heard a few disparaging comments from Thais about our Russki friends.....and I was told very recently of the beating up of a Russian "lady" by a thai girl outside Mike's shopping mall ......seems the russki didnt want to pay for some of the fruit on the stall...the russians dont go out of their way to be friendly,nor do they like to smile,which doesn't go down well in the LoS....IMO...

One thing I have noticed about the Russians is that they have a set of balls when it comes to dealing with the locals!!! They don't fall for the "face" bullshit or worry about upsetting Thai culture with every action carried out or word said. While we pussyfoot about, worrying about upsetting our lovely hosts for fear of the consequences, the Russians seem to steam roll ahead and enjoy themselves at their own whim.

Now I am not saying I agree with this attitude, indeed I know they can be quite rude and obnoxious. However perhaps we could learn a little bit from them at times. It seems to me also that their embassy has a bit of clout, and they don't accept the various corrupt scams and tricks of our hosts. While our embassies seem a little helpless, either through lack of will or limited authority, the Russian embassy, going on stories I have read from the various Pattaya media companies, will not bow down to the corrupt Thai authorities, and indeed go the distance to represent their countrymen.

My theory is that the Russians have a lot of clout because the Thai Government (locally in Pattaya and nationally) look at the Russian hordes as the future of the tourist industry, and are more willing to make concessions to them.

I am sure Brother Rossco will chime in at some stage with his views, and he may or may not agree with me.

One thing I have noticed about the Russians is that they have a set of balls when it comes to dealing with the locals!!! They don't fall for the "face" bullshit or worry about upsetting Thai culture with every action carried out or word said. ..

And since I've moved back to Thailand I've seen Russians get their ass handed to 'em by pissed off Thais several times now, 555. I've had many girls -- in and out of the business -- and Thai folks in general complain about Russian people -- in Pattaya.

But on the other hand, as long as they pay their tabs, many Thais don't have a problem with more uncouth farang barbarians invading.

Furthermore, I think you have to realize that other parts of Thailand don't seem to be experience the large Ivan Influx like Pattaya is for various reasons. Generally in Bangkok the ones you meet tend to be a different class of folk from the ill-mannered, farm-fresh hillbilly package tourons one encounters in Patts; in fact I've met some quite nice Russian folk up in BKK. They smile and everything.

So I think if you ask a Pattaya bar owner or bar girl about Russians, you'll get one answer; ask your average Bankok resident who lives/works in the central business district, you might get a different one.

Maybe cause they travel in packs, are very loud and walk around the streets drinking beer with their pastey white/pink bellies hanging out, but hey I don't know, thats why I ask :)

555, yeah, I never see British/North American/Australian guys doing that in Pattaya. At all. Never happens. Nope. :happy0148:

My theory is that the Russians have a lot of clout because the Thai Government (locally in Pattaya and nationally) look at the Russian hordes as the future of the tourist industry, and are more willing to make concessions to them.

I think it will turn out that the clout comes from cash.

Vietnam is a parallel (and perhaps instructive) example. Russians now control VN's two major seaside tourist resort towns. Signs in Russian everywhere. Russian bars and eateries, etc. Similar disquiet expressed by others of Western descent as is appearing in Thailand.

The general theory is that VNese snouts in troughs of Russian moulah are behind everything. The local government boys are presumably on a winner and all sorts of approvals follow. The goss also points to the Russian mafia in control, especially of the seamier side of things tourists go for. There are even anecdotes about plane loads of Russian whores being flown in - though for whose interest I can't figure, perhaps said local government guys, cops, etc.