Wickers World - QE2 Liner 1984 (Pattaya) Old school video

I just love this video.. :biggrin:

Just shows you how much Pattaya has changed over the years.

Looking at walking street it reminds me of how Angeles City is now, the place has changed so much.

I was looking for a young Lung Somchai with a dodgy haircut on a motorbike but I can't see him, those Thai boxers didnt fuck about with the Brits either.

I do wonder when was the first time you went to Pattaya? Has it changed for the better or worse?

http://youtu.be/5oC2fOL2Wl0

Notice they don't get the money off the Captain.. LOL

http://youtu.be/qKv8fHxCk8Y

BD

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed seeing bits of Pattaya and "Stalking Street" in 1984. Truly interesting. Merci.

I am glad I did not discover Pattaya in 1984. If I had, I surely would be dead now, or at best a drooling, lonely derelict shaking like a crack head with half a brain, missing digits, limbs, eyes, teeth, whatever in some pale stench of a hovel above 3rd road. Not sure Jesus himself could muster the compassion to consider my soul-real estate even worth a purgatory investment.

Pattaya/Crack, same same for many. You need to have age and wisdom to dodge the Pattaya onslaught or you're in for one helluva soul rescuing/saving crusade. 

IMHCO of course.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I do wonder when was the first time you went to Pattaya? Has it changed for the better or worse?

1976 & it was very different. I have to say it was better because I remember the girls being so much nicer. (I am talking GGs here, ladyboys back then were mostly blokes in a dress. Or at least the very few I recall seeing were.) There wasn't the feeling the girls only wanted your money, for many of them they approached the whole business as if they were going out on a date. They seemed so much more demure, I remember them giggling a lot & some of them were really quite shy. Another thing I noticed, there were almost no pompui girls, most of them weighed less than 40 kilos. And they never drank or smoked. And pubic hair, they had the sparsest amount ever, it wasn't unusual for a girl to have almost no hair at all. Apparently the introduction of meat & dairy into their diet changed that. And while I am reminiscing, they were really into sex. All the lads I met up with shared the same story of being hit by the girls because they had come before the girl did. It was considered bad form on our part if the girl didn't have an orgasm. Compare that to now when the girl can't get you to finish soon enough. Nearly forgot - 100 baht short time, 200 baht all night & once they liked you, free for the rest of your holiday. (We were very young don't forget)

There was no Walking Street as such, there were few bars & even less clubs. There were no Russians or Arabs either. And the beach was wide with white sand, palm trees & blue water. Here's some pictures of what the beach once looked like.

post-83-0-55175300-1369315498_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-99594000-1369315543_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

1976 & it was very different. I have to say it was better because I remember the girls being so much nicer. (I am talking GGs here, ladyboys back then were mostly blokes in a dress. Or at least the very few I recall seeing were.) There wasn't the feeling the girls only wanted your money, for many of them they approached the whole business as if they were going out on a date. They seemed so much more demure, I remember them giggling a lot & some of them were really quite shy. Another thing I noticed, there were almost no pompui girls, most of them weighed less than 40 kilos. And they never drank or smoked. And pubic hair, they had the sparsest amount ever, it wasn't unusual for a girl to have almost no hair at all. Apparently the introduction of meat & dairy into their diet changed that. And while I am reminiscing, they were really into sex. All the lads I met up with shared the same story of being hit by the girls because they had come before the girl did. It was considered bad form on our part if the girl didn't have an orgasm. Compare that to now when the girl can't get you to finish soon enough. Nearly forgot - 100 baht short time, 200 baht all night & once they liked you, free for the rest of your holiday. (We were very young don't forget)

There was no Walking Street as such, there were few bars & even less clubs. There were no Russians or Arabs either. And the beach was wide with white sand, palm trees & blue water. Here's some pictures of what the beach once looked like.

Fascinating insight into the Pattaya of old.   From your pic is the hotel in the centre, the Montien?  I assume the one on the left is the Dusit but maybe wrong.  

Fascinating insight into the Pattaya of old.   From your pic is the hotel in the centre, the Montien?  I assume the one on the left is the Dusit but maybe wrong.  

I have no idea. Those hotels must be in Naklua & I never went there. I imagine they are still there today unless they fell victim to concrete cancer & have been pulled down. I've seen the bigger one (and maybe the smaller one) in current pictures so if that is the Montien, then that's what it is. The one good hotel I can remember from back then is the Royal Cliff & I stayed there when I went back three years later.

We (mate & I) stayed at the Pen Pat Bunglalow for the first few days but moved into a guest house on Beach Road that was a several floors of small rooms shared between backpackers & girls. It would be condemned today as a fire trap but it sure was interesting walking out of my room to run into a pretty girl looking for fun. Let's just say there wasn't much foreplay.

Neither place offered a hot shower, I travelled 9 months before I had one. Mostly we had a trough filled with water & a ladle, just like they still have in many parts of Asia. And a squat toilet, it was a very fancy bar that had a western toilet. But there was nothing to complain about, the two weeks I stayed back then are still some of my favourite memories.

Here's the Pen Pat Bungalow on Beach Road & another picture further up Beach Road where the shops were which is now Walking Street. And don't laugh, I remember thinking what a nice change the Pen Pat was from what we were used to. It seemed so salubrious.

post-83-0-84594700-1369366958_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-96878200-1369367007_thumb.jpg