Favorite Female Vocalist

Dude, she's not even the best from her own country. Everybody knows the best female singer to come out of Canada is B.J. Snowden...

Homegirl is reprazentin'!

OH MY GOD, Bishonen, after hearing that rendition I am speechless. There are no words to accurately convey how that made me feel, so I will use a common internet acronym. ROFLMAO

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard back in the day that Joan is bi. So it makes sense that she would not need to alter any of the lyrics for this great country classic. What an amazing voice. I think she may be my #2 all time female singer after my darling Alanis.

Sammy lad, my favorite male singer is also a Canuck, the great Leonard Cohen. What do you make of that? My dear mother was also from north of the border, so I always have held special feelings for Canada. Heck I'd like to see them take the west coast of the USA and merge it was Canada and leave the rest of the states to just pound sand. If the would have us that is.

Being as many of us are having second or third goes, I thought I'd add a couple more to my list as well.

But I still can't download those damned boxes. Makes me recall those actual boxes we saw as kids where when the lid was lifted a toy ballerina twirled about and some godawful schmaltzy tune played.

Anyhow, my additions are:

Trish Hayward (Australian mezzo soprano, the greatest classically trained female singer I have ever heard)

June Carter (known to some of you as Johnnie Cash's wife)

Lefty I also think Leonard is terrific. He lives in my town and often we see him strolling around with his latest young sweetheart hanging on his arm. He is always dressed impeccably often wearing a double breasted, wide lapel, pin-striped suit and of course a fedora. He is a classy ass gentleman of the highest degree.

Other notable Canadian musicians are Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, The Band, and the Guess Who.

ROFLMAO

Dude, don't laugh. She's legit. Berklee College of Music.

David Byrne? Fan. Jello Biafra? Fan. Fred Schneider? Fan, fan, fan...

"B.J SNOWDEN is the 90's Renaissance woman. Composes, plays, arranges and sings the h- - - out of a tune. I played "In Canada" for my friends in Toronto and they were blown away -- this song cements good relations between our two countries forever!"

- Fred Schneider, the B-52's

Dude, don't laugh. She's legit. Berklee College of Music.

David Byrne? Fan. Jello Biafra? Fan. Fred Schneider? Fan, fan, fan...

"B.J SNOWDEN is the 90's Renaissance woman. Composes, plays, arranges and sings the h- - - out of a tune. I played "In Canada" for my friends in Toronto and they were blown away -- this song cements good relations between our two countries forever!"

- Fred Schneider, the B-52's

I know you are joking, because after listening to that song she sung, no person with half a brain would think she is anywhere remotely close to as good as Alanis. I hope that is not representative of the best she has to offer.

I'd be shocked beyond belief if you could even one other member of this forum to seriously agree with you that she is better than Alanis.

So Fred likes her. Does he also erroneously believe she is better than Alanis?

BTW, we have good relations with Canada my young Bishonen even without that song.

Maybe it's not fair to judge a singer by one song, so just for shits and giggles I found some more of her stuff on youtube. It confirmed for me what I got from the first song. She is awful. She couldn't carry a note in a bucket. Berklee School of Music should be embarrassed, but I guess they couldn't make a silk purse out of a....well you get my drift. Maybe she would be good to sing to elementary school kids, songs like one of her others, titled "98". I was laughing and crying same time it was so bad. But when I was in 4th grade, maybe I would have liked it a lot.

Young Bishonen, you are a really funny guy. BJ Snowden indeed. :lolu:

Everyone else were giving us their actual real choices for favorite singer. Now that you had your fun, how about telling us who your real favorites are?

But I still can't download those damned boxes.

For Ken and all,

The forum software makes it pretty easy. First you find the url of your Youtube video which is at the top of the Youtube page.

In this case for a June Carter tune it's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBlGExBrUA

So u copy theYoutube url. Then on this Forum below the B which is nest to I and U, you'll see three tV screens. Click that and put in what you jsut copied. That's all there is to it.

Ok, now you're on my wavelength!

I LOVE female vocalists. Was just puzzling over this the other day, wondering exactly what it is. Part of it is the fact that along with a great song, they can also use their sensuality/sexuality which isn't a trick that a male vocalist can pull and get a positive reaction out of (at least not from me).

So, let's do a quick rundown of a few of my favorites.

FIRST: a tech trick - if you add this:

&fmt=18

onto the URL of most YouTube clips, you'll get to hear it in stereo.

First up - the already much-lauded KATE BUSH. I still think "The Dreaming" is my favorite Kate album. I have a huge 40x60 UK Subway poster from the album promotion that I mean to get framed some day. It's cover (Houdini's wife - portrayed by Kate - passing him the handcuff key in a "farewell" kiss) is a classic image. It was the first Kate album I ever heard, and I fell in love with it as I was a huge Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel fan. She said that she meant to make the music as deep and complex as the Floyd and Gabriel stuff which she loved, but it ended up being so dark and difficult that she said she'd never do anything as complex again.

HOUDINI (The Dreaming)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CEy80FL9c

ALL THE LOVE (The Dreaming)

Next up - Tori Amos! I first discovered Tori when her first LP was released, and she captivated me because I thought she sounded just like Kate. I quickly realized she's a very different talent.

WINTER (Little Earthquakes) - sort bummed I cannot find the studio version, which has a fantastic arrangement with full band. Oh well.

I CAN'T SEE NEW YORK (Scarlett's Walk) - this was her reaction to the horrific events of 9/11. To this day I still can't listen to it (and listen to the lyric) without shedding a tear. Please know that this "video" was not created nor authorized by Tori. She would never have produced anything this obvious, as the lyric is very obtuse and only hints at it's subject (which makes it all the more haunting). This video was created by a fan and removes any doubt as to the subject matter.

Ok - how about a little Broadway? One of my favorites of recent years is "Wicked". Here's the original broadway cast, with Idina Menzel as Elfaba (The Wicked Witch of the West):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsO6IYsQSVg

IDINA MENZEL: I Stand - from her first album after leaving Wicked

Ok, some heavy metal to followup your Broadway? Fair enough!

LACUNA COIL - Heaven's A Lie. This is the italian metal band that inspired Evanescence

LACUNA COIL - Within Me

GOLDFRAPP - Some People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t969ZjKmW9U

WISHING TREE - Hollow Hills - this is a side-project of Steve Rothery, guitarist with Marillion

AIMEE MANN - Save Me (from the brilliant movie "Magnolias")

Has my old mate Kate's going down so well here's another track from her 'Aerial' album.

Apparejntly she's bringing out a follow up album this year... I just hope she can get William Orbit to produce it again, this move in direction for her really grabs me!

He was the guy who modernized Maddona & U2 for that matter... And I'm just so glad nobody's put any Maddona up here, I can't fuckin' stand her!... Bitch stiffed me for half the cost of a T'shirt I designed for her for a film she did with Guy Twitchy... Fucking wanker!

Maybe you'd want to come with me if I ever get another chance to fit a bath for Ms Bush, Deepthroat... You couldn't freak her out anymore than the last cunt did!

Nice call with the 'Joan Baez' Lefty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mR4J0tiKM

And just for good measure here's another one, just to back up what Beepthroats comments about the evocotive nature of the vunerability of the female voice... Enjoy

Has my old mate Kate's going down so well here's another track from her 'Aerial' album.

Apparejntly she's bringing out a follow up album this year... I just hope she can get William Orbit to produce it again, this move in direction for her really grabs me!

He was the guy who modernized Maddona & U2 for that matter... And I'm just so glad nobody's put any Maddona up here, I can't fuckin' stand her!... Bitch stiffed me for half the cost of a T'shirt I designed for her for a film she did with Guy Twitchy... Fucking wanker!

Maybe you'd want to come with me if I ever get another chance to fit a bath for Ms Bush, Deepthroat... You couldn't freak her out anymore than the last cunt did!

Lung, I'd SHIT MYSELF if given the chance to meet Kate. In fact I'd fly to the UK and give up my annual LOS holiday just to be able to hang in her presence for 10 minutes. I know how much she values her privacy (and maintaining "normalcy" in her life) so I'm not surprised that a plumbers assistant leering at her would freak her the fuck out! Great story.

Hate to say it, but I do actually like Madonna. Although I did like "Ray of Light" I also loved most of the Pat Leonard produced stuff (ie: Live To Tell). He went on to produce Roger Waters best solo LP (Amused To Death) and was part of a great duo called "Toy Matinee" with Kevin Gilbert. Kevin was a close friend of the guys in Spock's Beard, as well as Sheryl Crow's boyfriend and her writing partner in the Friday Night Music Club. In fact, he claimed that she stole most of her first album from him and his buddies. He was a huge fan of Genesis, and in fact had been on the short list to replace Phil Collins when he (sadly) was found dead, of apparent auto-erotic asphyxiation.

It's a tough call:

Berklee College of Music...

VS.

"You Can't Do That on Television"...

Yeah, I can see what you mean... :blink:

Fuck where they went to school. All anyone has to do is listen to them. The end product. To say BJ Snowden is better than any of the women singers mentioned in this thread, let alone Alanis, is ludicrous and laughable. When it comes to singing voice, one is either born with it, or not. No amount of education in any music school is going to change that.

Fuck where they went to school. All anyone has to do is listen to them. The end product. To say BJ Snowden is better than any of the women singers mentioned in this thread, let alone Alanis, is ludicrous and laughable. When it comes to singing voice, one is either born with it, or not. No amount of education in any music school is going to change that.

Even more laughable is the idea of trying to make any sort of "pronouncement" about anything as subjective as the relative merits of different artists. I should know, I try all the time!

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

It's a tough call:Berklee College of Music...VS."You Can't Do That on Television"... Yeah, I can see what you mean... :blink:

Whilst in complete agreement with Deepthroat, that it is all totally subjective & at the end of the day purely about tastes; we should maybe just politely offer our opinions & let others judge rather than judge ourselves... But that said, I really though you were joking 'FarangBah' until you posted that reply to Lefty, I never even listened to it at first, because I didn't think it was for real!

Whilst this woman may have 'a' Technical ability, her delivery is worse than flat, it's completely fuckin' monotone man, get a grip, pleeeeeeeeeease!!! You strike me as a really nice bloke Farangbah, but c'mon. Musically Canada's provided the world with some huge talents of the modern age (BTW, Joni Mitchell should be in here), but this 'Snow' woman? :unknw:

I used to be a 'character' animator & we used call the 'teckkies' mechanics... They just get an object from A to B, there ain't nothing creative there, no spark, no viz, no pop, no life!.. The best ones walk in off the street, they don't need art college or film school.

Even more laughable is the idea of trying to make any sort of "pronouncement" about anything as subjective as the relative merits of different artists. I should know, I try all the time! Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Concur completely, I always remember about 11 yrs ago in Koh Samui, without thinking first, saying to, funnily enough, some Canadian chick, that I'd have liked to have run a cheese grater up & down Karen Carpenter's face... And by fuckin' Christ' did that go down like a steaming pan red hot dog shit!!.. She went off like a fuckin' bombfire night firework!!!.. Spitting daggers & screeching at me!.. And I was wrong, I asked for it; it was mean & I shouldn't have made a 'pronouncement' like that. Who am I anyway, just someone else with an opinion, I have no right to upset her's or anybody else's sensitivities like that

Sorry BB... But at least this time around I had the decency not to say anything about someone's choice... So hopefully I've moved on a bit & she did have an abbsolutely superb voice, it just gave me the shits, that's all! :p

Even more laughable is the idea of trying to make any sort of "pronouncement" about anything as subjective as the relative merits of different artists. I should know, I try all the time!

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Normally I would agree with you, but did you listen to BJ Snowden? It's like if you posted a video by Eric Clapton and said he was your favorite singer and someone posted a video of Captain Kangaroo singing some silly song and told you he was better than Eric, because he went to Bumfuck School of Music and Eric never did. Not just music but any type of talent or ability. If I went to a driving school ran by Dale Earnhardt Jr, and you learned by the seat of your pants racing around on logging roads in the Cascades, that would not automatically mean I am the better driver just because I trained at some prestigious school. Maybe a better chance I could be a driver's ed teacher somewhere because I had a piece of paper signed by Dale, but that would be all.

All I said about Alanis was the truth. She is my favorite, that is a fact. She also had the top selling debut album by a female recording artist. Then, someone comes on here and attacks her by saying she isn't even Canada's best, which I never said, I said she was my favorite. Then I am told this BJ Snowden is Canada's best female singer, because she went to some fancy ass music school in Boston or some such place??? That is an insult to every real female singer who ever came from Canada and made a name for themselves. People such as Anne Murray, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Joni Mitchell, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan, and Nelly Furtado, as well as Alanis Morissette. You pick any name from that group and tell me she is the best female singer from Canada and you will get no argument from me whatsoever. But, BJ Snowden???? What a joke. :(

Lefty, I think you're being "wound up" as they say... I'd bet you $50 that Farangbha is totally "taking the piss" as they say, but he would never admit it - that's the point.

My point was actually directed at FB, not at you Lefty.

Yes, she does suck (and not in a good way) - that's how I know FB is taking the piss. Well played mate!

Ok, back to music that moves me. How about something by Paula Cole? I tried to find "Our Revenge" but nothing. Second choice:

PAULA COLE - Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?

Lefty, you'll like this one.