The earth is flat

Snick

You guys are crazy as a loon...I just this instant pulled into my driveway and on into my garage after and exhausting drive down the road a spell to WallyWorld and trust me...and I will get pictures for proof if I am forced to...It ain't flat...There were all kinds of bumps I had to maneuver over on my short journey...both big and small...

What utter rubbish.

Everyone knows it's turtles - ALL the way down.

:rolleye0012:

Anybody with any pretensions to being a cultured intellectual knows that it is in fact a flat disc, balanced on the back of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a turtle which is slowly swimming its way through space. If that is not the case, then the whole of the Discworld books are fiction, not fact which, given they make far more sense to me than the stuff I read about in the newspapers, is frankly a ridiculous notion.

• Upvote 1

Wait a minute, have I been lied to by Bill O'Reilly?

'Apparently, Bill O’Reilly has never heard of the moon. .... “I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion,” he told Silverman. “Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.”

http://www.newser.co...-the-tides.html

[some people actually get their news from this hillbilly]

Now you ARE explaining it, and we don't even need the moon!

Damn it Snick, you are ruining my whole week!

I think that route 67 is quoting Stephen Hawking when he says "Turtles all the way down". And let's face it, what does Stephen Hawking know about the cosmos? Exactly. I rest my case about that particular quote.

Now onto real life (well, more real to me than understanding quantum physics and how the four forces involved can be extrapolated from being between fundamental particles holding an atom together into holding the universe together. That gives me a headache just thinking about it, mainly because the only way I can even begin to understand it it is to have several large drinks in quick succession. Followed by several more at which point enlightenment occurs. Unfortunately, this enlightenment has a half life similiar to the Higgs Bosun and so I have to start again). Anyway, back to real life.

According to the Colour of Magic, the world is a flat disc, supported by four elephants whose names are Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon, and Jerakeen. These four stand upon the Great A'Tuin, a gigantic turtle of unknown, albeit hotly debated, sex. There are various hypotheses about the origin and ending of the universe but the hot favourite theory has it that the Great A'Tuin is swimming through space from where it was hatched to where it will mate with another great turtle; at this point, it is postulated that either the world will simply fall off the elephants or the world together with the elephants will be crushed and destroyed. This is known as the Big Bang Theory.

There is a lot more where this came from, but I will spare you all the rest! Suffice it to say that if you like your literature to be wry, funny and to bend modern life into shapes that it was never meant to be, then Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels are for you!

• Upvote 1