memorable lines

Lefty

I thought it may be fun to post some memorable lines from popular movies and tv shows and see who can guess the movie/show and the name of the character who said it.

Since it's my idea I'll go first. Try to get it withOUT googling, etc. :clapping:

"I’ll tell you what: I may have fucked my life up flatter than hammered shit, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human cocksucker. And workin' a payin' fuckin' gold claim."

IMO, this one is pretty easy. ;)

OK - I'll play!

Deadwood. Ha! Line spoken by Whitney Ellsworth, played by Mr James Beaver.

Try this one for size: "Last week I killed my hamster."

I was going to try "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!", but I think Lefty would get it in about...oh, 1 millisecond.

;)

Whitney Ellsworth is correct!!! +1 for you Route 67!!! Heck I figure if Sam can get +1s all the time by begging and whining, you should get one for having a right on answer. Ellsworth was one of my favorite Deadwood citizens. He had a lot of good lines throughout the show.

His rap with Joanie Stubbs was classic too.

Joanie Stubbs: Will you keep a girl company?

Ellsworth: I will, but I'm expensive.

Ellsworth: Well'm, I've got myself a working gold claim.

Joanie Stubbs: Well, sir, is that a damn fact?

Ellsworth: A hell of a working gold claim, and if we knew each other better I'd throw "fucking" in there somewhere.

Joanie Stubbs: If you did I'd try to catch it.

Ellsworth: A working fucking gold claim, Joanie, and thank you for allowing me my full range of expression.

yup

Dennis the Menace was the the show. Jay North played Dennis. I wonder what ever happened to him. Probably living in somewhere in Thailand with a young boy named "Joey". :o

Sorry to upset your fantasy about Mr North, Mr Sambo...

His bio:

Date of Birth

3 August 1951, Hollywood, California, USA

Birth Name

Jay Waverly North Jr,

Height

5' 7" (1.70 m)

Mini Biography

Jay North will forever be remembered for giving life to the comic strip hellion "Dennis the Menace" (1959) on TV. Humanizing this little tornado would not only be his treasure, it would be his torment. Born in 1951, Jay was first seen on TV in 1958 and moved eagerly to minor filming the next year. With over 500 children auditioning, Jay was selected by Dennis' creator Hank Ketcham himself for the star-making title role, appearing in 146 episodes over a four-year period (1959-1963). During this TV peak he also appeared in countless variety programs, including those hosted by Dinah Shore, Milton Berle and Tennessee Ernie Ford. He guest starred in episodes of "My Three Sons" (1960) and "The Lucy Show" (1962), among others. However, after the cancellation of his own show, the now active teenager noticed a major tapering off. He found himself badly typecast and efforts to forge ahead with film projects and other series work proved difficult. At first things looked promising. He perpetuated his wholesome image with the family film Zebra in the Kitchen (1965) and, more notably, the exotic adventure Maya (1966), which spun off into a mildly popular TV series, but then all offers dried up. He went from top child star to has-been teen in only a few short years, and had a terrible time adjusting. Despite voicing the popular character Bamm-Bamm in the animated series "The Flintstones" (1960) and other animated characters in the late 1960s, Jay all but disappeared save a few glimpses here and there. He went through years of personal turmoil and emotional anguish (divorces, drug experimentation, weight gain) before his recovery. Reportedly abused and mishandled during his peak years by on-set relatives/caretakers, Jay has since been instrumental in providing advice and counseling to other professional child/teen stars in the same boat. From time to time these days, Jay has been glimpsed at nostalgia conventions.

IMDb Mini Biography By: Gary Brumburgh / gr-home@pacbell.net

Spouse

Cindy Hackney (3 March 1993 - present) 3 children

Rosetia (2 March 1991 - 5 May 1992) (divorced)

Kathleen Brucher (20 July 1973 - 21 October 1974) (divorced)

Trivia

Son of singer/actor Hal Hopper.

Active in the child-actor advocacy group, A Minor Consideration.

Is still friends with his "Dennis the Menace" (1959) co-star Jeannie Russell, who played Margaret on the show. At this writing (May 2008), she is a chiropractor in North Hollywood, California, and he is one of her clients.

Served in the U.S. Navy (1/16/1977-8/10/1979). He was a seaman stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. He did a lot of manual labor and left with an honorable discharge.

In 1988, a newspaper article came out saying that Jay had died at age 37 in a doctor's office. The article turned out to be a hoax.

Personal Quotes

"Goodbye, Hollywood. Thanks for nothing." Interview, 1999.

Where Are They Now

(April 2002) Working as a prison guard in Florida.

(April 2006) Currently residing in Lake Butler, a small town in North Central Florida, located 45 minutes Southwest of Jacksonville, Florida.

(May 2009) Working as a Correctional Officer at Reception and Medical Center in Lake Butler, Florida.

"All right, ramblers, let's get ramblin'."

I've seen this great movie 20 times at least.

Reservoir Dogs, Joe Cabot played by Lawrence Tierney.

He was also hilarious as Elaine's father in one Seinfeld episode. He was a former B-17 tail gunner in WW2 and George just shit bricks being around him, he was so nervous.

Here's one for that might be a bit more for the Brits, but with a Paddy's day connection... It should be dead easy to guess... Anyway, here's three quotes from a film that just kept them coming:-

“They kept it all incognito. They're gonna collect the body in an ice cream van... There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there?.. Going out like a raspberry ripple”.

“What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean”?

“The Yanks love snobbery. They really feel they've arrived in England if the upper class treats 'em like shit”.

Has for the last quote, it was from the original 1954 film, 'Richard the Third' with Laurence Olivier... Anyway, I've decided to go a bit more low brow as that seems to be the way of things. :hi:

• 2 weeks later...

As it looks like this thread is dead, and with my anal fixation to not leave things hanging limp & flacid (ha!), here are some answers to the lines I offered:

Sampan off the port bow.

Apocalypse Now - one of the PBR Street Gang crew, I forget which one.

Nobody's perfect.

Final line from Some Like it Hot - the Jack Lemmon character whose name escapes me.

MGM!

Stanley Laurel from the Laurel & Hardy TV Show, screened in Australia when I was a kid - clips from their 20s & 30s work bundled togather into 30 minute shows. L & H would every third or 4th week enter some den, house of spooks, gangsters, etc, and a lion would emerge from behind drapes. L would see it, leap behind H's coat tails and begin pointing and whimpering. When H would ask, what is it Stanley, L would reply MGM! A bit of promo-tainment for the studio, but it broke up 11 year olds like me.

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy

The mother character (played by Terry Jones) from The Life of Brian.

ello, ello, ello, I'm the famous Eccles. Ask me a question.

What's ya name?

Orr, startun with the hard ones eh?

This is from The Goon Show

which was technically a radio show, but with puppets playing parts over soundtrack,

it also did two (I think) series as The Telegoons in the early 60s.

Brain damage makes me unsure now who played Eccles, either Milligan himself or Sellers.