Songkran

pdogg

Songkran is slowly creeping up with Pattaya residents being shot in the face by high powered waterguns and motobike riders getting a bucket of water in the face.

On April 19th Beach Road and Second Road will be closed to traffic as everyone goes to "play water" on Beach Road. Cheap beer, bands, and getting soaked with water on a sunny afternoon is fun.

What's not fun is riding a baht bus let's say on April 16th and having some guy dump water on you in the early evening. Or some lager lout with a high powered water gun shooting dirty water at your face from point black range.

The most moronic part of Songkran is splashing the driver of a moving motobike with a bucket of water.

In Pattaya, Sonkran day is April 19th but expect to get wet a week before.

In Bangkok, April 13-15th with Khao San a good place to play water.

The problem in Pattaya is that is is too long, plain and simple

as PD says, it sucks when you don't want to "play" and yet you get soaked anyway; I learned years ago when I was living in BKK to stay inside on the days around the main day, because you never know....

However, on the main day, the actual Songkran itself, I love it! Gives us all the chance to act like children again and how is that not fun? I have had many good times on Khoa San road, the place is a madhouse on that day and always fun. This year I may try Chiang Mai.

The problem in Pattaya is that is is too long, plain and simple

as PD says, it sucks when you don't want to "play" and yet you get soaked anyway; I learned years ago when I was living in BKK to stay inside on the days around the main day, because you never know....

However, on the main day, the actual Sonogram itself, I love it! Gives us all the chance to act like children again and how is that not fun? I have had many good times on Khoa San road, the place is a madhouse on that day and always fun. This year I may try Chiang Mai.

JD, PM me if you want to go up to Chiang Mai? It would be nice to meet you!.. If I'm not staying in, of course?

In all seriousness, Songkran's a far better scene up here & you get way more of a feeling of it being a propper 'water' ceremony... It's generally far organized better too!

will let you know man, I am trying to work in another biking trip in Laos and may just go to CM first and enter the country from Nan province...if I do will let you know for sure :)

JD, CMX to Nan is a great ride it's all across mountains!

A good way to drop into Lao, if you want to be really adventurous, is to pick up a Chinese beer boat from Chiang Sean, I'm pretty sure they'd even let you bring a bike aboard & then maybe bike back into Nan from Lao? ;)

I don't know if you read my last post on the Lao thread?.. But after reading your last post there I would say that if you're going to rent a bike, it may be a prudent idea to hire the thing in CMX :roadrage:

Anyway, hopefullly hear from you. :)

• 3 weeks later...