Chiang Mai vs Bangkok

I wanted to go to Bangkok in January but i have a 2 weeks offer for Chiang Mai all inclusive at incredible prices. ( i work in tourism )

My question is:

Will i find beautiful ladyboys there and plenty of them? ( unless i find a very nice one, i like to change them ) Also what about prices and short time rooms? ( i never take lb at hotel, unless i know them very well )

Am i to get in dull 2 weeks in Chiang Mai?

Any suggestion is welcome as i have to book that offer within saturday the 10th of october ( 60 days advance )

I liked Chiang Mai but haven't been there for awhile so am not up to date with rates.

I hate commiting myself to spend 2 weeks anywhere.

In most cases, I think it's best to book for a few days and exytend if you like the city and the hotel. But i understand in this case that you must make the decision before you get there.

yes, i have to do it before saturday as i am hotel manager, so i received this offer from a collegue from Chiang mai....i guess myself that 2 weeks just in Chiang mai would be quite boring......The Hotel is a 4 stars luxury...at incredibe rates so i'd like for sure...the problem is the action in town......

I loved Chiang Mai.

However, I could not tell you anything about the ladyboys there. Though I have read here that they're available.

Of you are into outdoor stuff, Chaing Mai is awesome. I highly recommend one of the all inclusive tours that include a hike through the forest, an elephant ride, overnight stay at a Karen village, and whitewater rafting. Check out Siam River Adventures. http://www.siamrivers.com/home/

Also, the temple complex above the city is amazing and well worth checking out.

The Flight of the Gibbon, zipline thing through the forest canopy is also a blast.

Have fun:)

It depends if you are a sex-tourist and if you have some adventure in you.

By the sounds of it you are and you don't.

There are ladyboys all over Thailand and the second largest city in the country is no exception. But outside of the obvious sex-tourist destinations it can take a bit of effort and research to locate them.

Also, "beauty" is very subjective. If you mean will there be beautiful girls in Chiang Mai who's customer-count ranges into the multiple hundreds like some do in Bangkok, then probably no. Personally I find the less documented and less shagged far more appealing.

Well put mon ami DC!!! On the money for sure.

I've spent time in Chiang Mai and it is a very different groove to the scene we enjoy and explore in all of the other obvious places. It is not as apparent or in your face like Bangkok, Pattaya, or Phuket. It is not so much a survival business. You need to find it, massage it, and hone it accordingly. But it IS there for sure.

AND I agree, "less documented and less shagged...", yada, yada, yada.

Nice posts DC & Sam!

Chiang Mai's not for everyone 'turkey', but if it grabs you, then you'll love it, so many visitors end up hanging around... But has stated already, unless your the outdoorsie (is that a real word?) type or into the history & culture of the place, then you'll probably get bored.

I actually live here & the last three or four friends who've visited have lasted all of three or four days each, because it just wasn't them... And they all found the bar scene lacking compared to Pattaya, Samui or Phuket, where it's a bit more 'off the peg', so to speak.

The laid back ambiance suites me, but then I had a life of big cities & nightclub nights out before I ever came up here, so I don't require that type of action anymore, not even when I am on holiday myself.

If you do make it up here, one big word of advice would be to see if you could maybe tag up with a ladyboy who can bouble as a chaperone, because Chiang Mai is a huge, sprawling, low rise city... And most of the really fun places just ain't where you'd expect them to be, they're way out in many cases.

Anyway, same as the other two, for me personally, the less well trod path is by far the more interesting one to take... But up to you, because 'Shag Central', it ain't & I wouldn't holiday somewhere just because I can stay in a fancy pad on the cheap... If it's not your scene, It could well end up being a pretty prison cell... If you're unlucky?

• Upvote 2

thank you for the sensible suggestions.

I like adventure, as i am really tired of bangkok,Pattaya etc etc...

Last time i was in kamphaeng Phet and Phitsanulok. Really enjoyed them. So i think i will decide on Chiang Mai. Definitely!

Going to rent a bike and tour all the streets and countryside....I do agree that the "less documented and less shagged.." are the most curious things to discover.

I also like art so i think that over there there is plenty to see.....

I like adventure, as i am really tired of bangkok,Pattaya etc etc...

So i think i will decide on Chiang Mai. Definitely!

Going to rent a bike and tour all the streets and countryside....I do agree that the "less documented and less shagged.." are the most curious things to discover.

I also like art so i think that over there there is plenty to see.....

Excellent choice turkey. Glad to see I was totally wrong earlier.

Locations such as Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket do have everything laid out on a plate which leaves an empty feeling in terms of adventure. There's nothing more satisfying than discovering a non-documented sweet little femboy or ladyboy off the beaten track who's keen to make you happy.

Chiang Mai does have a few ladyboy bars plus street activity. Although it's been years since I've been there myself so I'm not the best one to provide pointers. It's unlikely anyone knows the place better than our friend Lung.

Chiang Mai is also home to the highest temple in Thailand, Doi Suthep. One for the to-do list perhaps.

Hi turkey - I lived in CM for 7 years, (moved to Pattaya 5 months ago).

I only left CM because of the air pollution - March, April, May - killers. Nice otherwise. If you are going to explore, do buy the Chiang Mai BIG map - (it's called the BIG map)- nothing else comes close.

As Khun Lung has pointed out, everything is spread out in CM.

Loi Kroh Road is a good place to start. The Bar Beer Complex near the night market end of Loi Kroh houses the Marina Bar (near the boxing ring) - perhaps you could find an acceptably cute local guide there...

Night life can be fun in Santitham (FY90 BIG map), and in the Nimmanheimin area (sois 12 and 4) - gotta go - will edit more in later.........

Also, the WITClub, in Chiangmailand Road (HT119, BIG Map), can be good, but off duty ladyboys like to change their favourite party places fairly regularly, so WIT Club may be out of date by now - doesn't kick off before 1am, anyway.

These are just a few places I know of, there are a lot more, and a local ladyboy guide would be the way to go, as Khun Lung has already said.

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

G'day Turkey...i recently spent 5 days in chiang mai,,,i have been before,,,,the best bar i found is on the walking street near most of the other beer bars,,,the marina bar and one other in the boxing complex i found are pretty lame nowadays ,,,theres a sprinking of lb's in most of the beer bars but one is exclusiveily lbs,,Its really not that hard to recognise which one :) (i forgotten name)

Shamrock Bar

but one is exclusiveily lbs,,Its really not that hard to recognise which one :) (i forgotten name)

It's Shamrock Bar Punter... And you're right, it used to be a great bar! But alsas, it's more than lost its luster nowdays. However, that said, you just don't ever know who might turn up?? There's some absolute 'top notch' stunners who show sporadically, but it's more often than not at times like the end of the month when the rent's due.

There used to be a Shamrock 2, just over the road from it & I used to like that one a lot better.

FYI, currently the best place to go, by far, is in Rachawitti Rd at the Reggea bar complex, it's a late night dance bar called 'Zoe in Yellow', they're all freelance & there's shed loads of em', I've had some real exotics out of there recently & a Chinese 'GG' tourist with sttacks of cash who actually pulled me!!! God knows where they come from, but they just appear... And that's the fun of it for me, it's real varied fare.

I've said this before a handful of times on various forums, but nobody ever seems to listen... At the risk of sounding like a broken record... IT'S A CITY FULL OF HIDDEN GEMS, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW PLACE, OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE LEFT WITH THE TOURIST FODDER, WHICH USUALLY AIN'T ALL THAT!

@ Khun Fridgemagnet... Why did you go mate?

@ Khun Turkey... If you're stuck for finding where the action is, you can always PM me.

@ Khun DC... You said, "Our friend Lung"... Oooooooooh, I so want to cuddle you

Finally, I wouldn't recommend Marina Bar to anybody!

• Upvote 2

yeah marina no good now,,,,,,,,ah so its called shamrock huh,,,,,,,found the best "top" i have ever had there this trip ,,shame it was the last night,,,Oil was her name.....That reggae bar sounds very interesting :) ...i like chiang mai as a whole ,,had a good time this trip too and definately will return :)

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be a Shamrock 2, just over the road from it & I used to like that one a lot better.

Has that one closed already...shame

FYI, currently the best place to go, by far, is in Rachawitti Rd at the Reggea bar complex, it's a late night dance bar called 'Zoe in Yellow', they're all freelance & there's shed loads of em', I've had some real exotics out of there recently & a Chinese 'GG' tourist with sttacks of cash who actually pulled me!!! God knows where they come from, but they just appear... And that's the fun of it for me, it's real varied fare.

I remember a good night there in your good company, except the night was spoiled a bit by that miserable bugger from Marina that seemed to think I'd done her wrong big time

I've said this before a handful of times on various forums, but nobody ever seems to listen... At the risk of sounding like a broken record... IT'S A CITY FULL OF HIDDEN GEMS, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW PLACE, OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE LEFT WITH THE TOURIST FODDER, WHICH USUALLY AIN'T ALL THAT!

@ Khun Fridgemagnet... Why did you go mate?

@ Khun Turkey... If you're stuck for finding where the action is, you can always PM me.

@ Khun DC... You said, "Our friend Lung"... Oooooooooh, I so want to cuddle you

Finally, I wouldn't recommend Marina Bar to anybody!

Apart from one cracker that gets in occasionally on Saturday nights :biggrin:

For the first Christmas in the last 5 years I won't be in Chiang Mai, The child bride is in the UK and we are meeting in Munich on the 17th for a very different Christmas in the Alps. I am managing a 30 hour stopover in Pattaya on the way (Sat/Sun nights)

For the hundreth time I remembered I never sent you that photo of the framed cartoon, email on it's way.

For the first Christmas in the last 5 years I won't be in Chiang Mai, The child bride is in the UK and we are meeting in Munich on the 17th for a very different Christmas in the Alps. I am managing a 30 hour stopover in Pattaya on the way (Sat/Sun nights)

For the hundreth time I remembered I never sent you that photo of the framed cartoon, email on it's way.

Thanks a lot Patrick, much appreciated!

Shame I won't catch you this time around, hopefully next time mate... Have fun skiing!

And yeah, I thought it was a real shame too when Shamrock 2 closed, it was deep down & dirty!.. I used to really like that dingy little shithole, but things just went from bad to worse in there & eventually they got busted for drugs... It really wasn't quite the same afterwards, with them all sitting there, the skanky, CNX LB misfits, all sporting their new 'Monkey House' hair cuts, I really had to ask myself what I was doing in place??!

As for our 'mate' the cracker, she's been off the scene (I'll PM you the details)... It's funny, I was talking to her other half the other week & I said to him that, "I really like to think of her as a friend" to which he instantly replied, without even looking at me or drawing a breath, "that's the problem, she's everyone's fucking friend"!... I shepishly tucked my head in my shoulders & slunk off as quickly as I could. :blush:

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Nope... But I do know where it is... It's a nice location, right on the river!

thanks for the info....i decided to stay here ( not booked yet ) because i like to paint...so thinking i could do it in the park in front of the river...my other hobby is riding a bike and as far i can see it takes just 20 minutes to the old centre.....how is it Chiang Mai at the moment? i can see you live there

Funny you should say that Tictac, I paint watercolours & ride motorbikes (& ladyboys too, whenever the opportunity arises)... So you'll be able to have a lot of fun doing all three up here, it's a biker's, artist's & pervert's paradise!

Regarding your question, "How's Chiang Mai at the moment"?.. Well let's put it this way, you're 20 minutes into the old city will dependent upon what time of the day you travel, so Chiang Mai has unfortunately now got all of the trappings of a big city, dreadful rush hour traffic icluded... Apart from that, the rainy season is now upon us, so at least the air & visibility has cleaned up... But you will get wet on your bike & your colours on your pallet will run :character00292:

:hi: