King Norodom Sihanouk Passes Away

bumblebee

I've spent very little time in Cambodia; is he as revered as the current Thai monarch? And how do the Cambodians reconcile his support for the Khmer Rouge? The article Ken linked mentions this, but doesn't really delve into it. Any of you that have spent more time there have any insight into this?

Sihanouk was an interesting character, he morphed as the situation/times demanded in order to be the "father" of his nation, I think that was his primary ideology, to be recognized as the pater familias.

He spent a long time in exile & I think he would agree to any regime's legitimacy as long as he could be back in Cambodia as king. He supported the Khmer Rouge & later they kicked his ass out again, the mystery is why they would want a member of the royal family in the "year zero"? A truly intriguing & confounding figure.

Sihanouk was an interesting character, he morphed as the situation/times demanded in order to be the "father" of his nation, I think that was his primary ideology, to be recognized as the pater familias.

He spent a long time in exile & I think he would agree to any regime's legitimacy as long as he could be back in Cambodia as king. He supported the Khmer Rouge & later they kicked his ass out again, the mystery is why they would want a member of the royal family in the "year zero"? A truly intriguing & confounding figure.

Indeed. A true chameleon [correct spelling pacman?] politician. A careerist king, if you like.

The commentators I've read are intrigued by the way he combined the roles of prince/king (removed, distant, above the melee) with the active campaigning politician (sleeves rolled up, mucking in, in constant electioneering mode). A truly intriguing figure and role.

And like all such figues in all cultures, he did whatever it took to cement his place in the sun (including, as you say Hefe, nods & winks to Khmer Rouge).

Anyhow, it has produced an amazing outpouring of grief here in the country. He lies in state in the royal palace as people pour through to pay their respects. Roads are closed all around the palace. Television is covering it 24/7.

The only likes we might think of as being equivalent that I can recall, would be JFK's death or Elvis's, or Princess Diana's.