Penang, Malaysia: A walk on the mild side

zaronxas

I recently did a visa run to Penang, thought I would throw up a quick trip report.

First, the reason I chose Penang is because it's very convenient and cheap to fly to Penang from Bkk using AirAsia. Hotels are also abundant and cheap in Georgetown -- I booked one from Agoda. Also the food is quite good.

Georgetown is a relatively sleepy city with a mix of Malays, Indians and Chinese. The town center (Jalan Penang and Lebuh Chulia) has a number of clubs and bars.

I dropped into one of the more expat type bars called Soho bar on Jalan Penang. This place seems like the type of joint to pick up working girls on the weekend. Unluckily I was there on a Wednesday night, so it was pretty quite. That said if you're there on a Friday / Saturday night, this is a spot you should hit.

At the end of Jalan Penang there was also a number of up market beer bars and clubs. Not much seedy action going on that way but a nice place to have a few drinks.

Moving on I took a walk down Lebuh Chulia which is where a lot of backpackers and budget travelers stay. There was a bit more going on this way, especially after 11PM.

There were a number of Indian, Indonesian and Malay ladyboys along with gg working girls plying their trade on the street. Mostly they're just sitting around like everybody else and beckon you over if they're up for it. While on my walk, I was beckoned over by a tall Indian ladyboy and a Indonesian one.

I didn't take either as I was trying to be a good boy that night. Also, the Indian one was a bit rough looking to be honest. Though the Indonesian looked good enough for a roll in the hay.

But that didn't keep me from finding out the lay of the land. Apparently, the going rate for short time is about 100 ringgit (about US$30). For this they have room nearby they take you to do the dirty deed (I imagine the room is also fairly dirty).

Overall, Penang is a nice city and good for a quick, cheap visa run. But I wouldn't be too bothered to go there for any mongering or debauchery.

• Upvote 3

Thanx Zaronxas.....very useful report....you do get about a fair bit on your visa runs....

ps...nice pics BB,you'd find a LB anywhere/everywhere.....

Haha cheers Willie, although more often they find me, somehow then sense my curiosity and tastes. Some of the Indian LBs lurking around.

post-106-0-65301900-1344446916_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-41853300-1344446921_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-73353500-1344446925_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-87995600-1344446930_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

While the LB options may be thin on the ground one of the reasons I enjoy Georgetown is the food. Because of it's location. there are lots of locals of Chinese and Indian descent. Being partial to Indian food, each meal is a pleasure when there, and the prices are half to a third of what you would pay in Los.

post-106-0-92424900-1344460773_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-17893000-1344460781_thumb.jpg

While the LB options may be thin on the ground one of the reasons I enjoy Georgetown is the food. Because of it's location. there are lots of locals of Chinese and Indian descent. Being partial to Indian food, each meal is a pleasure when there, and the prices are half to a third of what you would pay in Los.

My take on it too. Plus it's a nice place to decompress from Bangkok/Pattaya.

While the LB options may be thin on the ground one of the reasons I enjoy Georgetown is the food. Being partial to Indian food, each meal is a pleasure

As you know bb I love Indian nosh too. I also am quite attracted to those Indian LBs.

I have not been to Penang but have had similar pleasures in Singapore's Little India - but more expensive there of course.

Not so expensive down Rowell Road for a short time...unless you break it down to $$/minute then Little India is expensive, I reckon I had about the shortest short time ever there. Not complaining though, I left the wife browsing in Mustapha's department store and was back with her before she missed me :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Not so expensive down Rowell Road for a short time...unless you break it down to $$/minute then Little India is expensive, I reckon I had about the shortest short time ever there. Not complaining though, I left the wife browsing in Mustapha's department store and was back with her before she missed me :biggrin:

Brilliant. That must be worth some sort of award - for both speed & ingenuity.

I love Little India and I love Mustapha's. I once had a quite thrilling sex event in the basement toilet there.

(Yes, I'm a sucker for rough trade - ha!)

Lots of gayboys and femboys hang around M's at night time.

great pics BB, i love that atmospheric crumbling colonial architecture, a bit like Havana that way. Have never been but seems like a nice place to chill out a bit, soak up the different cultures and cuisines. Cheers for those

Cheers WR. Yea it seems most of the colonial towns around the world look quite similar. I found the museum very interesting as it covers all the different nationalities who make up the population. I love all that stuff, it shows how some of the major islands in the eastern Indian Ocean area were connected by trade and explains the movement of people because of it. One thing I read was that Phuket up north was called Jung Ceylon in the past, most people today only know it as the name of a mall in Patong. Maybe I need to get out more lol.

Cheers 4.17 as you can see it has so many photo opportunities.

Now I just need to buy a replacement big-boy camera ... I'm going to treat myself to a Canon 5D Mark-II -- maybe even a new Mark III -- once I get settled in a few months. :pic: