Sound Systems In Bars

pdogg

There's been lots of talk on forumsabout music in bars. These threads tend to focus on music selection and music volume.

Last night I was in a small bar in Cambodia that had a great sound system. And it makes a difference.

In Pattaya some of the big gogos like Bacarrat must have spent on fortune on their sound system.

I'm not suggesting that bars make a major capital investment upgrading their system as they probably won't recoup their costs as most customers really don't care all that much.

Last night the music was to my taste. I enetered the bar cause they were playing American Pie, I suppose not a great tune but one I always liked. The next song was Blueberry Hill which I never cared for much but it sounded great on their system. next tune was a Dean Martin song which nay be a first for a Southeast Asia beer back though maybe once at EZY i heard Dean. Followed by King Of The Road. I'm loving it!

See even in this thread about sound systems it's easy to focus on music selection. It was followed by some sort of funky soul tune that I can't place but it sounded great on this system.

In the scheme of things, a sound system ranks pretty low on what makes a good bar but it's a nice bonus when you find a bar that has both good music (which is subjective) and a good system.

• Upvote 1

In the scheme of things, a sound system ranks pretty low on what makes a good bar

Only in our perverted world, where bars aren't really bars but something else altogether. In actual bars around the world, it matters a whole fucking lot.

For some reason around here, bar owners in general have underestimated its importance and value to commerce, and seem to think it's more important to play what Thai ladyboys like, loudly, the thinking being it will make them happy and they will dance, and that, in turn, will make the punter happy. Karl came along and proved this notion ridiculous, and now, years later, only Josh seems to be following in his wake.

No one else seems to get it. Doing it well is not a gimme -- I get that. A sense of music is like a sense of humor -- everyone thinks they've got it. But sadly, unlike assholes, not everyone has one. But it's not rocket science either...

Farangbah's Ladyboy Bar Music & Sound Consultation Firm (henceforth "FBLBM&SCF") is now open for business... :hi:

• Upvote 2

Bar mentality in Thailand is buy it cheap play it loud.

In the real world if you buy a good sound system, you don't actually need to play it that loud. I've had to leave bars because the sound system was so bad the distortion would give me a headache, let alone the volume.

Impressive - first off was the expertise in smoke machines, then top tipster of the month and now music consultant. Is there no end to this man's talents :bbq::geek::clapping:

:D I was hoping you had yer ears on, buddy.

With all your benevolence, my good man, you've earned yourself a free consultation with FBLBM&SCF. Have your people get in touch with my people...

With all your benevolence, my good man, you've earned yourself a free consultation with FBLBM&SCF. Have your people get in touch with my people...

If you want to put something onto a flash drive (not cd which gets scratched), then you can be the first guinea pig (or rabbit if you prefer) for the upcoming stockings & corset BBQ party on the 15th in GB :bbq::friends:

(does anyone think there is a emoticon for a smoke machine !!!!

Joking aside - Mr Speedo and orange wig man plus myself were chatting about exactly this just last week while you are holed up with the special one in your condo. Plans taking shape already.....

The Sound system in the Famous works for me

Karl also has a memory like an Elephant ( or a Ladyboy :lol: ), still remembers my favourite tunes from the EZY days and played them as soon as I entered the Famous Bar.

It is "Rock music" so needs to be played pretty loud but not so it busted your ear drums.

Karl had it just right imho, but as he doesnt bother much now with his computer (and I dont blame him)

I have a couple of CD's which I "burned" off myself which are behind the bar in Famous and get played everytime I visit. :rock:

I did the same in the Guess Bar (Soi 4 BKK) a few years ago, 2 CD's for me and 1 for the ladies, not sure if they are still there as the then barman Gong took care of them.

As has been said I think Josh from Baby Boom has got the "happy medium" regards music for "falangs", but I still like and enjoy the "beat" of Thai music aka La Bamba :jig:

A good clean sounding sound system is always preferred over a blown out distorted corner speaker for sure. With that being said, I also like to having some conversation with the girls before I do the barfine deed. Baccara is a great club with awesome sound, I agree. Airport has s good sounding system and has good music as well. The Ezy days with Karl at Ezy are classic and go down in history. I know he is at Famous, but it just doesn't have the same vibe as Ezy. I can remember many moments sitting with Karl trying to figure out what music he didnt have so that we could go and download it. I will tell you that it was no easy feat, no pun intended. That man has a music selection like no other. Obesessions has a descent sound system, but the music at times is less than desireable. Good sound sure makes one stay longer. That is unless they play crap music all night. In that case I'll hit the next spot. -Swedeman007