Why Don't Bars Serve San Mig Zero

Pdoggg

At my local 7/11 both San Mig Zero and Leo are both 39 baht.  Why don't bars serve San Mig Zero which has 3% alcohol content?  And why do bars sometimes charge a premium for lite beers?  For example in 7/11 Singha Lite is cheaper than Singha but in bars you might pay more for Singha Lite.

Sometimes I want to stay out and keep drinking beer but don't want a hangover.   Theoretically 5 San Mig Zero at 3% should get a guy as drunk as 3 Leos at 5% alcohol.

Perhaps bars don't perceive a demand for low alcohol beer?  Perhaps customers don't even know it exists?

I do wonder if the hangover is equal between the two?  Perhaps the additives are a major part of the hangover? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

why do bars sometimes charge a premium for lite beers?

I believe in the first place breweries charge bars more because producing lite or even alcohol free beer is more expensive than regular beer and I think they are also using more expensive yeasts. It's a more complicated production process producing lite beer. If bars have to pay more to breweries, they too have to charge more to customers for lite beer to maintain the same profit margins.

Personally I like Singha light but not many bars in Bangkok seem to have it. I once tried Heineken zero and didn't like the taste at all...:bad:

Perhaps many bar customers, usually guys, don't like being seen drinking lite beer in front of friends (peer pressure)? Buying lite beer in a convenience store however is usually for drinking at home...

If the demand for lite beer is substantially lower than for regular beer perhaps bars have to charge a premium to make it worthwhile keeping it on stock?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT358XBWv8B8b9q-IIU7DD

• Like 1