Manchester United fans Electrocuted in Nigeria

duke007

UP to 30 Manchester United fans are feared dead after a falling power cable electrocuted them as they watched the Red Devils in action last night.

Dozens more are feared injured after the wire crashed into the supporters during United’s 2-1 win over Belgians Anderlecht in the Europa League.

Police confirmed at least seven were killed but officials fear the toll could be far higher after the tragedy in Nigeria.

Ten more were confirmed to be critically injured.

The club this morning tweeted: "Our thoughts go out to the United fans, their friends and families affected by the tragedy in Calabar, Nigeria, yesterday."

A statement from football's governing body Fifa added: "Fifa is deeply saddened by the deaths of several football fans in Calabar & offer our deepest condolences to family & friends of the victims."

Journalists at the scene reported the death toll is likely to rise further.

The Manchester Evening News reported one witness as saying: "It happened during the match between Manchester United and Anderlecht.

"I heard a deafening bang. I rushed out to see what was happening.

“When I turned back to go inside the viewing centre, I saw a cable coming down on the centre and this electrocuted the viewers in the hall.

“It was a horrible sight to behold. I wish I didn’t come out to watch the match. Come to think of it, I have DStv at home but I enjoy watching matches at viewing centres.

"I could have been dead. I can’t believe that the people I was chatting and joking with a few minutes ago are all gone in a most anguishing way. This world is vain.”

Overturned benches were pictured where fans are reported to have been sitting when the cable collapsed onto them

nigeria1.jpg

nigeria.jpg

• Upvote 1

As Brother Ciobha says no matter which team you support and whatever rivalries exist, it's a sad day indeed.

RIP to these United fans.

I reckon that in the West sometimes we think there is too much safety regulation which drives up costs but lax enforcement of building codes can result in tragedy as it did in Nigeria.