It's sad but true

Luung

Here's an article from today's Bangkok Post, which unfortunately bears out much of what I've been droning on about with regard to the changing face & motivation for prostitution in this country (the 'I want an iphone shag').

Ok, this is particularly about under age girls, but as we all know it's not exclusive to that gender.

Anyway, for me it's very depressing reading, especially the part about the uncaring, yet often typical attitude of the parents!!! :growl: :(

Here's food for thought, in a country like India where there's far more poverty than any Thai of our generation could imagine, virtually any Indian father would cut of his right arm before he'd let let you anywhere near his daughter!.. So what is it with the fuckin' Thais???

Sex trade lures girls in early teens

Underage prostitution on rise in Isan

Published: 12/12/2011 at 12:00 AM Newspaper section: News

A recent upsurge in the number of underage girl prostitutes in some northeastern provinces is causing concern, a children's rights advocate group says.

Many girls in their senior years at primary school (Pratom 5-6) and early years in secondary school (Mattayom 1-3) in the Northeast are engaged in the sex trade, not all of them voluntarily, says the Child Protection Foundation.

The numbers were especially high in Maha Sarakham, Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces, said Montri Sinthawichai, secretary-general of the foundation.

On Nov 24, the foundation received complaints from residents in tambon Wangdong of Maha Sarakham's Yang Si Surat district that young girls in their villages had been lured into prostitution.

The foundation's staff discovered many girls in primary school and secondary school were selling sex.

It was widely known that some college or university students were involved in the sex industry. However, Mr Montri said he was shocked to find so many girls under the age of 15 had also entered the business.

"Sex for sale does not happen in urban society only _ it has also spread to districts and remote towns," Mr Montri said. "They do not meet their clients in a department store any more. Now they do it in moo krata eateries [all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue restaurants] instead."

One of the main problems in the teen sex trade was that many buyers did not care whether the girl was an adult or a child.

Teen prostitutes who entered the business for an extended period were also likely to persuade their friends to enter the sex trade too.

More importantly, some parents just did not care about their children.

"Our staff have talked to the parents of those young girls and were astonished that some of them did not feel sorry for their kids," Mr Montri said.

"They thought their child had gone down the wrong path and they could not do anything about it. So they just let it be. This attitude is dangerous."

Most girls entered the sex trade because they wanted money for cosmetics, clothes, mobile phones or other fashionable items, Mr Montri said.

The foundation rescued two 12-year-old girls last month from being lured into prostitution in Maha Sarakham.One of the girls was encouraged by a relative to enter the flesh trade, while the other girl began prostituting herself at the recommendation of a friend.

A police officer identified only as Poong was accused of paying both girls for sex.

Mr Montri has filed a complaint on behalf of the girls with the Crime Suppression Division, asking it to prosecute the officer involved. Other students who worked as prostitutes, who were older than the two girls, did not want help from the foundation, Mr Montri said.

He urged local authorities, especially child protection committees under tambon administration organisations, to play a bigger role in combating child prostitution. Police must find out where teen prostitutes meet their clients and hotel operators must be questioned as to whether they have a role, he said.

"Police may face difficulties making arrests because prostitution in many cases is a matter of mutual consent. The girls want to sell themselves, while the buyers agree to pay," Mr Montri said.

• Upvote 1

I am really shocked,i might be a bit sexmaniac but in no way i will ever dream to go after a little girl nor a boy.

I hate guys who can do something like that...where i come from we shoot the guy.

This is not sex this is worse than murder,and if i was a father and somebody did that to my child i will make sure that he dies...sorry guys but thats excactly how i feel about that.

• Upvote 2

"They do not meet their clients in a department store any more. Now they do it in moo krata eateries [all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue restaurants] instead."

Sounds bizarre.

Always sad to read about underage prostitution. And I assume the customers are Thai.

But if 18 and up i'm not sure if Having sex to get an IPhone is such a bad thing.

Having sex for money is not inherently wrong. It surely is not for everyone though.

I am really shocked,i might be a bit sexmaniac but in no way i will ever dream to go after a little girl nor a boy.I hate guys who can do something like that...where i come from we shoot the guy.This is not sex this is worse than murder,and if i was a father and somebody did that to my child i will make sure that he dies...sorry guys but thats exactly how i feel about that.

Well said Panicos! It's not even something I have to think about, my stomach tells me all I want to know. Myself I'd actually suggest something a bit more painful than shooting.

Sounds bizarre.Always sad to read about underage prostitution. And I assume the customers are Thai.But if 18 and up I'm not sure if Having sex to get an IPhone is such a bad thing.Having sex for money is not an inherently wrong. It surely is not for everyone though.

Yeah, I thought that bit was bizarre myself PDogg, it's in full view of an awful lot of people. I think some salivating, fat, sweaty Falang in a 'moo krata' joint somewhere in the middle of Isarn trying to chat up under age prozzies is going to stand out just a little bit, don't you. At any rate, I could only assume this report is based purely on the Thai scene & Thai nationals. They don't see the funny side of it when anybody else does it.

I haven't personally got anything against any kid in their late teens having a shag for an iphone or a Blackberry, but I must admit that I'd just feel a lot better if I fool myself that the money's going towards the poor old grandmother back on the farm's new false leg or colostomy bag.

But when I do have the odd serious & reflective moment I can't help but think how damaging it can be for young developing minds & emotions in most, if not virtually all cases. Probably the chances of finding any real intimacy in their lives lost forever & for what... Trinkets. That's sad man.

Underage sex is sick and I even if I am not as drastic as Panicos I am all for locking these Types up for a long time and give them a chance to think about it (and maybe even get abused themself).

However, I am surprised that some BM,s are surprised that this is going on, it's an old story, and some of the older BM's may recall that way back some rural parents used to sell their young/underage daughter to highest bidders, many times falangs. Keep in mind we are talking a different culture here too and different values.

Now as far as Indian parents are concerned I would like to recall what happened to me quite a few years ago. In Colombo, Sri Lanka leaving an expensive restaurant after dinner we where approached by a mother who tried to give us her baby daughter hoping that the little girl would have a chance at a better life with one of us.

Many young kids in Sri Lanka and India where mutulated by the parents to make them more successful beggars. It's not always a phone or new cloth that make kids do what they do. It's a dirty world out there.

One does not have to go to Asia to find misery, while in Mexico during Christmas time I got involved in a private collection for poor local kids. Little did I know what the definition of poor was. When the time came to distribute the goods I was asked to come along and we went to the city garbage dump and for the first time in my life I saw families living on and off the things they found on the dump.

• Upvote 1