United Mileage Plus

Pdoggg

I managed to score 3 free flights using Untited Frequent Flyer Miles.

The flights were all to Bali with a stopover in Bangkok. One of the layovers was 9 months.

Any special strategy you use with frequent flyer miles?  

There's a special going on until August 24th if you want to transfer your United Mileage Plus points.

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs but you can learn about it from this link on Asia Hotel and Travel.

http://www.asiahotelandtravel.com/index.php?/topic/388-united-mileage-plus-points/

Curious why you would book to Bali on 3 occasions instead of Bangkok. I understand the first trip would be out of interest but after discovering Thailand why would you have booked 2 more tickets with the same routing to Bali? 

For 60K miles I got both Bangkok and Bali on the same ticket.

Even though the ladyboy scene isn't so hot in Bali, I like the place.

The trip in '08-'09 was 9 months in Thailand and a month in Bali.

I knew my miles were running out so I figured I'd go there one last time.

If I had to do it all over again I would have tried to tack on Manila one of those times.

But routing such as this generally has to be done by phone and it's not easy to make the case to the phone rep that Manila is on the way to Bangkok or Bangkok is on the way to Manila.  

The trick is to get a friendly phone rep and build rapport with her.  She generally will need a supervisor to sign off on it though.

One tactic is to research with the now improved United website which is the old Cuntinental system. You make sure every leg is available then call up for final booking with an itinerary since you know every leg is available so really the only question is whether or not it's a legal booking and that sort of depends on the judgement of the supervisor.

Or you can make Phuket or Samui a final destination with Bangkok as the "layover".

United Mileage Plus has gone to hell. They now give you miles based on how much your ticket cost as opposed to the distance flown. My recently purchased United flight LAX-BKK will only give me a miserable 2640 miles. Or five miles for every dollar spent if you are a basic member. You can still do pretty well using/churning their credit cards. But if you are looking for miles from flying there really is now NO reason to book with United. 

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Marketing/CustComm/Promotions/Pages/united.aspx

• Upvote 1