Songkran 2015

Pdoggg

Suvarnabhumi airport expects rising passengers during the Songkran festival from April 9-19 with foreign tourists increasing 20%.

Airport director Prapon Patamakijsakul said the airport expects 1,760,000 passengers during the period, or 160,500 passengers a day.

Breakdown of total passengers is 1.47 million foreign passengers, and 200,000 domestic passengers.

By comparing with the Songkran period last year, passenger traffic rose 17%.

However if taking into consideration of foreign passengers, it represents a 20% rise this year, while domestic passengers rising slightly at 0.23%.

For international flight during the Songkran festival, he said it rises 11% while domestic flight falls 6.762%.

He said during the Songkran period, 19 airlines have sought to increase flights to Thailand.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suvarnabhumi-airport-expects-20-rise-in-international-visitors-during-songkran-festival

Apparently it's not OK for a farng lady to go topless on Soi 6 but it's OK to throw buckets of  water in the face of motobike drivers.

Pattaya Songkran “Rule Breaker” found in Soi 6

Thai Social Media Channels are currently alive with chat regarding pictures which have emerged of a scantily dressed Foreign Woman who was seen to expose her Breasts during Songkran Festivities in Pattaya’s famous Soi 6 Bar area.

The incident, which was captured on video shows a woman, thought to be European, wearing lingerie. She is seen dancing provocatively and at-times exposes her breast in public.

Although this type of behavior would not make headlines in many Western nations, here in Thailand it is currently a hot topic as the woman’s actions breaks rules laid down by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), who have tried to bring some order to this year’s Songkran Festivities.

The rules include a ban on revealing outfits and public exposure which appears to have been broken in this case. Thai commentators are not directing their anger towards the woman but are suggesting a failure by the local Police and Government in implementing the NCPO’s rules for Songkran.

Depending on how much exposure the story gets on a national level will likely dictate how severe the response by the NCPO will be.

The official date for Pattaya’s Songkran Festival is the 19th April but the water fighting began two days ago and is likely to continue until 19th.

In Phichit, two transvestites were fined yesterday for exposing their breasts during the Songkran celebrations. "I am so sorry for doing so. I was under the influence of alcohol. Next year, I will wear a decent Thai costume to celebrate Songkran," one said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/04/18/national/Topless-teenage-dancers-get-dressing-down-for-dist-30153293.html

i just left my hotel for the first time in 96 hours.

so i managed to avoid having anyone throw a bucket of ice water into the face of my motorbike taxi driver.

which is not to say no "transvestites" exposed their breasts to me, in true celebration of which i soaked them thoroughly.

although after doing so, i don't recall any of them either apologizing or promising anything more traditionally thai next year.

but maybe it's just me.

happy new year indeed.

:drinks:

i just left my hotel for the first time in 96 hours.

:drinks:

The next 72 hours is when it really gets going in Patts.

As much as I dislike the 8 days of Pattaya Songkran, the afternoon of the 19th on Beach Road can be fun. There are live bands and it tends to be warm water, so it's like getting peed on.    :blink:

The 18th is Songkran Day in Naklua.

Only another 60 hours of Pattaya Songkran!

Pattaya Police Ban Pipes from Songkran Waterfights

CHONBURI - Police in the resort town of Pattaya are cracking down on uses of high-powered plastic pipes to shoot water in the festival to marks Thai New Year.

Although Thai New Year celebration, known as Songkran, officially lasts from 13 - 15 April, waterfights and other activities continue until 19 April in Pattaya, drawing tens of thousands of tourists and revelers each year. 

Pol.Col. Sukthat Pumpanmuang, superintendent of Muang Pattaya Police Station, said today that police will not tolerate uses of plastic pipes as waterguns this year, as the pipes, known among Thais as PVC, may cause harm to other individuals. He said tourists who carry PVCs will be asked to exchange them with harmless plastic bowls issued by the police. 

"If we spot any tourists who bring PVCs other any other type of high-powered watergun to the festival, we will give them warning about danger that may happen," Pol.Col. Sukthat said.

The ruling military junta of Thailand has also instructed Thai people to celebrate Songkran in "traditional" and appropriate ways. Prohibited actions include dressing in skimpy dresses, consuming alcohol at festival sites, and applying wet powder paste on strangers' faces. Like in previous years, the rules were largely ignored by Songkran revelers. 

Pattaya police also told reporters that they have set up checkpoints around the resort town to prevent drunk-driving, especially on Soi Buakao and Sukhumvit Road. Although our correspondent reported that many teenagers were spotted drinking beer and driving motorcycles on the roads, Pol.Col. Methawit Praditpol, superintendent of Sattahip Police Station, said police have not encountered any drunk drivers so far.

"We have not found any motorists who consumed alcohol," Pol.Col. Methawit said, "This is a good thing. The state campaign about strict arrests for driving under alcohol influence meant that there is no drunk driving [during Songkran] this year."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1429185405&typecate=06&section=

• 10 months later...

In a move to make Songkran a little less sexual, Chiang Mai officials have announced a ban on sexy, see-through “X-ray pants” at the famous water festival.

To protect the image of Lanna culture, any clothing which can appear “suggestive” when soaked with water has been banned from Chiang Mai Songkran celebrations.

This includes the “X-ray pants”, which were expected to be a huge trend during Songkran this year.

“What concerns me is online shops have started selling these X-ray pants on social networks. If people wear these pants alone without underwear, it will be considered public obscenity,” Chiang Mai governor Pawin Chamniprasart said.

Any daring exhibitionist sporting these sexy pants will face prosecution, Pawin added. He has also urged merchants not to sell the pants.

Aside from the suggestive clothing, officials said they would also ban “sexy dance moves” and “sexy muscles.”
Hmm. We’d like to see them enforce that one.

“There were about 22 party stages around the city of Chiang Mai last year,” Pawin said.

“On some stages, there were people dancing sexually and men showing off their chests and biceps. It was such an inappropriate image.”

If any stage gets too sexual, the officials will immediately close it.

Chiang Mai visitors have been encouraged to wear traditional attire during Songkran.

Officials will ask tour agents, embassies, and hotels to publicize the new rules, Manager reported.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/14/x-rated-sexy-x-ray-pants-banned-songkran-festival