Hotel Minibars

pdogg

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like Hotel Minibars

• Yes, I like the convenience
    • No, Give Me An Unstocked Fridge

Does anyone actually like hotel minibars?

If you're on an expense account then I suppose they're helpful.

But since almost any hotel you stay at in Thailand is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from a 7/11 or Family Mart, I find a minibar a very guest unfriendly intrusion.

I'll take an empty fridge, thank you.

I usually ask the staff to empty them. Solves a myriad of potential problems.

Staying at the Venetian in Vegas a couple of years ago, my GF and I emptied the fridge so we'd have room for our stuff. Replaced everything before checkout...hit with a bill for hundreds of dollars, because they use an electronic accounting system (pick up an item for longer than some set time, like 5 minutes, and you are automatically billed). We pointed out the bullshitiness of this and the charges were retracted.

• Upvote 1

You got lucky......in most hotels, once you lift that drink off the electronic shelf, you own it.

I think minibars may have their place in certain cities, especially if you are far from everything; once in a while on the road I have way overpaid for a Toblerone bar or a soda because finding a store was prohibitive.  But as PD pointed out, in Thailand they are pretty pointless, there is always a 7 close by.